History Channel

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by N78155, Jan 6, 2010.

1. N78155

N78155 New Member

Right now (Wed. 8pm) there is a show on the History Channel called Apocalypse Man. Featuring skills and survival techniques. I am sure they will re air this program.

Looks interesting and informative.
    n​

2. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

It comes back on at 1 am EST. After Armageddon was on HIST last night. It was not bad at all.

3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Ha! Luck is with me . . . I just looked on my guide and it's on in an hour, so I'm recording it. I'll probably watch it tomorrow after work.

4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

This is armageddon week on the history channel. Should find all kinds of interesting shows.

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I missed it. How was it?

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I liked it, more realistic for most, urban survival. The other Survival shows, Survivorman, Man Vs Wild aren't much use unless your on a desrerted island, swamp, artic circle or tropical jungle. I can't afford those kind of "vacations".

7. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

Yeah this week is a special on the end of days or whatever you want to call it. If you miss a program, they will replay it again at least 2 more times later that night. Some good info for survival noobs.:)

8. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Most of it was sorta common sense stuff, some of it was encouraging folks to think outside the box.

The neatest thing I picked up out of it was the steel wool/9-volt fire starter. Neat trick!

9. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Yea, be careful how you pack your bags.

10. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I finally got to see Apocalypse Man today. It was pretty good. That trick with the steel wool was cool, I agree.

I also liked the homemade grappling hook. Unfortunately for me, I suck at knots.

11. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

Don't let that discourage you, there are endless e-books on knotting methods.

12. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to learn. The worse part is that I used to be in the Navy. So you'd think I'd know a thing or two about knot tying. But the square knot and clove hitch are about as far as I got.

I have a little knot tying reference card somewhere. I just have to find that little bugger before the apocalypse hits.

13. Oroborus

Oroborus Member

Does anyone else have this same observation as me? It seems like in the past couple years there have been so many doom and gloom shows, I could try to list them all, but it would take hours.

I always question what I see on T.V. because it is, I believe, one of the greatest weapons ever released on mankind and when I see a constant theme being played, I try to think if there is a M.O. behind it.

Fear has always been used as a pacifier of the masses to make them feel insecure and it seems like everytime I turn on History, Discovery, ect... they are always showing TEOTWAWKI shows. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching them and most of the shows deal with things I've know about for years, so it's not new news for me. I knew about the 2012 scenarios 10 years ago and thought there might be something to it and something serious to consider , but now with everyone talking about it and it being on History Channel 10 times a day, I think its a big joke now and just pumping fear or are they trying to desensitize us, or both?

14. Expeditioner

Practice! Practice! Practice!

The quick and dirty biodiesel fuel recipe was cool.

15. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

just watched after armagedon, it was diffrent, i pick up some how too's and useful tips but mostly what not to do's, overall it was good

16. TimB

TimB Member

Watched it last night. Pretty good but IMHO they waited way too long to BO and obviously had no planning or preps for doing it. Maybe that was the intention? :scratch

Tim

17. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I watched 'Carriers' yesterday, worth the time to see. Not bad, shows what a little prep can do. Also what kind of scenarios come along that you can't control or have planned for.

18. Expeditioner

I agree that they waited to long to BO......the producers and writers may have setit up that way. If you BO and are safe you probably would not be hit with the scenarios that the family found themselves in.

19. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I watched Apocolypse Man also, the last place I'm going to go to is a hospital!

20. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

In general I thought After Armageddon was pretty good but I did find it odd that three members of the same family were immune to the bug. :dunno: