Hillbilly high speed

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jason, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

This past weekend I went shopping for internet alternatives for the dialup we've been tethered to for ever. We got a verizon cell phone modem that is intended for laptops. You need good signal but it's plenty fast if you do have signal. It's not online all the time like cable internet. We get 5 gigs of downloads every month for $60. It's gotta be 10 times faster than our dialup. Well worth the extra money. Once we get the home phone and dialup cancelled it'll only be a cost increase of about $20 a month which we feel is well worth it. Just wanted to pass along another option we've discovered as an alternative to dial up.:melikey:

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Great to share. Is there a reason why you went with the cell-net system instead of going with a sat-net style system as your choice for internet service?

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Speaking of which, is anyone on here using Sat-net? If anyone is, or has, can you share anything about how you like it and how well it works for you?

We don't get a cell signal at the house, so can't go with the Verizon internet but if I lived in and/or spent most of my time in the city it seems like a good option. I've seen people using it on Amtrak trains with a laptop and cell phone.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I don't know about sat-net but with sat-TV we can count on losing the signal when heavy rainstorms roll through or during heavy snow and it's very frustrating. We have a friend with sat-net that tells us it's not too bad but he does lose his signal occassionally when it rains. DW's boss had sat-radio and cancelled it because his signal would seriously diminish when he drove through a dense grove of trees.
    Just my own personal experience. YMMV. :)

5. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

We don't get cell signals either and were on dial-up many years.

About 2 years ago we had hughs-net installed. They limit downloads to 200mb/day but have unlimited downloads between 2 and 6 am. (I think) with a program that makes that easy and you don't have to be awake.

We use 2 laptops at the same time and can surf the net all day with the 200mb.

Service costs 59.99/mo and is very reliable except during bad weather. (Rain) You do have to keep snow off the dish.We are happy with the service.

6. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Jason,

Do you have Armstrong cable available in your area? They have very good telephone and internet rates.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Thanks for the info. Is it the type of thing we could put on our camper and take south for the winter, or is it permanantly installed? You wouldn't happen to know how many watts it takes, since we're off-grid with solar power? I assume it has some kind of receiver box? We've never even had Sat TV, let alone satnet, so we don't know anything about using sat-anything.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

A year or so ago we called Hughes and they said it would be around $80 a month. Hardrock's price really surprises me. We get great cell signal because we have a Verizon tower on our farm. We didn't go with cable because when we had Comcast come out a while back to see about hooking us up the installer said it was too far from the road to run cable. It's about 100 yards and there's a pole in the middle. Comcast's loss, not ours. We went with what we did because it's relatively inexpensive, simple to use, works well, and is really pretty fast. Had it almost a week now and we're satisfied so far.

9. hank2222

hank2222 Active Member

right now iam useing cricket usb boardband set up for my laptop and when move to the big inland iam going with a local company usb wireless board band unit ..my biggest problem is going to be getting signal in a underground home there ..but i think i got it figured out on that one..

10. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I've been having some trouble hooking up Hillbilly high speed to my hillybilly landline phone. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a copy of my landline:

[​IMG][​IMG]

:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

harley, it's because you're using a carrot can with a baked bean can...anyone knows they don't go well together! lol

12. HarleyRider

But since rabbits like carrots so well, and rabbits are really fast, that makes my landline pretty fast when talking. :eek: :rolleyes:

13. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

looks like a polarity issue, try switching one of the carrots with its counterpart baked beans... THAT oughtta fix EVERYTHING

(hey, 'reversing the polarity' works on 95% of sci-fi shows, doesn't it? ;) )

14. HarleyRider

Upgrades

That worked just finer n' frog hair! :D

Also, I just added another string and can to the middle of my phone line.... now I have hillbilly call-forwarding!! :eek:

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Well, I'll be danged! What kind of can didja put in the middle? :D

16. UncleJoe

You guys keep adding all these lines and cans, you'll have your own private network soon. Where can I tie in to your grid? I think I'll use a tomato juice can. Excuse my ignorance but; Bigger can, Better reception, Right? :)

17. UncleJoe

Hey Jason, We really mutilated your thread didn't we? ;) :D

18. HarleyRider

You know.... I'll bet if I tie on a 55 gallon drum I could make a great file server. :cool:

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yep, and you won't have to worry about those annoying EMPs or solar flares... :D