Higher food prices coming soon

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by mtnscout, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mtnscout

mtnscout Active Member

Get ready for higher food prices - Omaha.com
    This link is to an article about the rising food prices we’re all seeing. Corn is what they talk about and it’s effect on costs in the food chain and the timeline in effect of each stage of food to market. This is something to think about as you plan for future food purchases and storage.
    We’ve all seen what’s happening in Egypt and various articles mention that the last straw was rising food prices, think of the French revolution and the price of bread.
    (“Let them eat Cake!”)
    Right now the administration wants more flex fuels/ethanol but currently forty per cent of corn production goes to ethanol. (The article says twenty five per cent but other sources place it at forty per cent.) Any increase in ethanol use mandated by the government will increase the shortage of grain for food leading to more increases in food prices.
    In reading about Katrina I saw a quote that any city is only nine meals from anarchy and looking around the world I believe they’re right.

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I guess I better get busy figuring out how to put in a bigger garden!

3. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Our grocery prices has skyrocketed here. Milk is at least $3.99 a gallon, eggs are equally as bad, a can of Folgers is $9.99....and it keeps on going up and up.

Same with the gas. Diesel is $3.71 today

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

$3.71 :eek:

And I had a fit when I had to pay $3.35 for my diesel ... It was 3.50 in N.C.

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

And if the prices aren't going up the size of the package of food goes down... What used to be 12 oz went down to 10oz this summer price stayed the same and now that same package of mushrooms weighs only 8oz price the same... But I think I would prefer that the package stay the same size and pay a bit more... Now to make the same recipe as before I have to buy two packages instead on one and it costs me double..:mad: :gaah:

6. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I just heard on the news tonight that by midnight prices for fruits and vegetables are to TRIPLE IN PRICE overnight due to the crop damage in Arizona, Texas, Florida, the South, and Mexico due to the weather. They said for people to stock up now.

7. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Just read in my company's email yesterday about the rocketing prices of food products. Having a hard time sticking with our usual product providers due to their constant change of prices. They are pricing from day to day. I'll probably hear more about it when I go back to work on Wednesday.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Produce prices skyrocket with freeze in Mexico, Southwest | kgw.com | News | Portland, Oregon

PORTLAND -- Get ready to pay double or even triple the price for fresh produce in the coming weeks after the worst freeze in 60 years damaged and wiped out entire crops in northern Mexico and the southwestern U.S.

The problem started less than a week ago, when our nation was focusing on the Superbowl and sheets of ice falling from Texas Stadium.

Farmers throughout northern Mexico and the Southwest experienced unprecedented crop losses. Now devastation that seemed so far away, is hitting us in the pocketbooks.

"We've had to double and triple some prices and consumers come in and it's quite a shock to them," said Rusty Peake, GM of Food4Less in Southeast Portland.

"Increase, increase, increase," said produce manager Troy Winterhalter as he watched urgent messages coming across his laptop computer. "Peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, asparagus, the entire asparagus crop was wiped out," said Winterhalter.

Roma tomatoes have more than doubled in price since Thursday and very soon they may not be available at all.

About the only produce not impacted by the freeze in the coming weeks are things grown right here in the Northwest like potatoes, onions and apples.

The situation is so dire, some stores can't honor certain advertised prices, which were ordered in local newspapers long before the freeze.

"Now I'm in a tough situation where I can't really support ads and I try to do the best I can letting the consumers know what's going on in the markets," said Peake.

He said this is the worst produce situation he's seen in 25 years in the business.

Next week, lettuce and spinach prices are expected to rise. Normal prices likely won't return until new crops in Mexico start producing again in late March and early April.

9. mtnscout

mtnscout Active Member

World Bank: Food prices at "dangerous levels"

World Bank: Food prices at "dangerous levels" - Yahoo! News

People are starting to notice and all the articles popping up in the news make people nervous but the majority are just planning on paying more. People here on this forum are ahead of the curve in planning for this problem. I spoke with DW about a bigger garden this year and I plan on putting more food into storage. The rest of the world is going to react soon because as the first article in this thread listed the prices are just starting an upward spiral. Time to see what room is left in the pantry and what I need to fill it with.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I just found this site and know nothing about it but it's saying the same thing as any other site I read.

Food/Financial Crisis of 2011 : Agriculture

World food inflation is smashing down on the world’s populations as prices rise precipitously in the face of increasing shortages and absurd monetary policies. Prices are rising everywhere. It is not millions but billions of people who must tighten their belts because they have no choice but to eat less. Billions of people on our planet have no discretionary funds so they just cannot afford the increased prices. They have to get by with less to eat. They have no choice.

Things can get so bad that people will not be able to buy foods at any price because they simply will not be available because they have been bought up by someone else. I am not talking about your neighbor here who just happened to beat you to the supermarket this morning. Imagine if China pulls a $100 billion out of its almost bottomless pockets and purchases grain to feed its billions? Why wouldn’t they, after all, spend increasingly worthless paper on a mountain of food?

Below you will see that this is a real threat because of the drought that is going on there. Other governments are already stockpiling food staples in an attempt to contain panic buying, inflation and social unrest. There is nothing pretty about this quickly evolving food catastrophe and with each week the story only becomes gloomier.

The price of wheat is up 78.13 percent over
    the past 12 months and still going higher.

The rest of the article can be read at the link above.