Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to this part of forum. I have been prepping for about three years. I am constantly looking into new things that I havent' done or things that need to be done. I have even watched the show doomsday preppers to see what things I haven't thought of yet. Anyway just wanted to say hi. :)

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Glad you found this section! We need people to post here. Did you happen to see the new show, Revolution? I have a couple of non-prepper friends who watched it and suddenly the light bulb went on for them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to watch it and love it. It shows exactly what could and may happen. What actually got me thinking about prepping, was reading a book series called the restoration series by terri blackstock. It is from a Christian point of view, which I don't mind, but some might. Anyway, it will get someone thinking that about prepping and learning how to depend on themselves instead of the government and utility companies. How did you get started if you don't mind me asking?

·
Uber Newbie
3,154 Posts
I was able to watch it and love it. It shows exactly what could and may happen. What actually got me thinking about prepping, was reading a book series called the restoration series by terri blackstock. It is from a Christian point of view, which I don't mind, but some might. Anyway, it will get someone thinking that about prepping and learning how to depend on themselves instead of the government and utility companies. How did you get started if you don't mind me asking?
answering particularly to
How did you get started if you don't mind me asking?
I grew up in AZ hunting and fishing all my life, my grandfather started me at about 3 and it's been a part of me ever since.

I got really interested in prepping in 2008, politics played a major role, but it also showed me a lot about what I'd falsely believed.

There was a lot of hype and panic about "oh no, what if Obama wins???" and I was concerned about the sovereignty of our nation if a globalist were to become President. As far as I'm concerned it's never been about Obama's nationality or his race, or his religion... there may be legal challenges to his authority based on those issues, but my chief concern is that so many people would flock to a banner that he made sure everyone knew about.

If you work with people who have been convicted of trying to bomb the pentagon, if you sit in the front row of pews in a church where the pastor says "******* america" and if you believe its your right to force other americans to do what you say do, simply because you said so... NOW I start having serious problems with that person.

It's been an interesting 4 years since that happened. I have come to realize that "I will go live in the woods" is not a "plan" and that things happen every day outside of my control which could drastically change the world I live in, and if I'm not ready to ride it out as best I can, it's going to get really ugly really quick. I keep a get home bag in the truck. It's enough water and snacks to hike the 10 miles home. And I walk my dog 5 miles at a time, or at least I did until I started classes this semester :( to know what that will be like

I realized very suddenly that a lot of the "truths" I'd been living under... weren't. And I immediately felt that I better start taking some steps to make sure I was going to be okay if/when things go really bad.

I acknowledge that I cant predict or prep for everything, if some jerk blows up San Onofre I'm not going to be happy... but if it's a slow roll into economic collapse, I think it would pretty stupid for me to get shot and bleed out because I was waiting in the food lines like the rest of the sheeple, when some nut job cuts loose because he cant handle the pressure anymore.

In these last few years I've turned a lot of hobbies into skills, I'm able to say without a doubt that if left alone I could sustain myself for a considerable amount of time. If you've read my recent posts you'll see that I'm now starting to learn canning and that alone will help me put 6-24 months of "real" food in the pantry before I ever have to live off rice and beans and TVP buckets, MRE's, freeze dried this and that, and all of that stuff.

A friend at work asked "should I be worried that all of the IT guys at work are obsessed with everything 'tactical'?" It does bring up an interesting point when all of the people who are supposed to be creative thinkers are looking around and say "hey... I better do something quick"

Back to the original question... I would not be the same person today if McCain had won the election, and I see that as a positive for me! As an American, I'm sorry Obama is in office, I couldnt possibly disagree with his policies and administration more strongly, but if McCain had won, I don't think I'd have "woken up". I was lulled into a false sense of security without realizing the WHY my grandparents were saving junk silver coins and things like that.

That's not a problem anymore and I feel better for having realized and corrected it! Now it's all about extending what I have, expanding my abilities and finding things I enjoy doing which compliment both!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing. :). I realize that everyone has their own reasons for prepping. I'm glad that there is a place for like minded people to get together and share ideas, thoughts, and info.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I did take the job, thanks for asking. I absolutely love. Just change in hours is the biggest adjustment so far. :))

·
803 Posts
Well howdy and welcome to this part of the forum! Sorry it took so long for me to get around to it...:eek:

Sounds like you are getting your prepping on!

Jimmy

·
803 Posts
Better late than never! ;)
Thank you! Old turds like me need reminding sometimes....well really most of the time...:sssh:

Jimmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts