Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I happened upon this forum while searching for something completely different. I have been a "prepper" for what seems to be my entire life, and am so happy to find a site that intelligently discusses concerns and issues without degenerating into rightwing/leftwing/religious/aetheist/politics etc. dogma and ranting. After reading and lurking just a short time I am impressed with the quality of posts and posters here, and hope to be able to contribute as well.

I am a horticulturist by training and have been a mostly organic gardener for a couple decades now. My family were farmers before we moved west in the 60s. I have lived in the desert my whole life, and am fairly adept at sustainably living in the desert. Other skills include spinning, weaving, medicinal and dye plants, construction, and generally just making things do or fixing things without a lot of outside help. I am married with three sons and seven grandchildren. My husband owns a construction company and is similarly inclined, but believes he'll be raptured out before TSHTF (I love that acronym). I am not so sure... and I am concerned because I believe my grandchildren will be living in a very different world than today. My children don't really believe that, but I want to be prepared for them and my grandchildren.

I am also an ecologist for the federal government. (Please don't hate me for that :) ) As an ecologist for the last few decades, I have witnessed subtle but very real changes in our environment with profound long-term implications. I have attended conferences, read the research papers, talked to the researchers, and conducted or funded no small amount of research myself, and climate change is a very real event. This may seem no different from any of the climate-change rhetoric you have heard and may or may not believe. But the difference is this: it's happening and we can't do any thing about it. It's the runaway train hurtling down the tracks, and nothing will stop it. We are past the tipping point, threshold, or whatever you choose to call it. No amount of light-bulb changing or bicycling or protocol is going to reverse it. The changes are going to happen faster than we thought possible, with huge social and economic effects. The Katrina-level events will occur more often, with huge economic loss. Along with everything else going on in the US and the world at this point, we're in for a world of hurt in the not-very-distant future.

This is not the "official" stance. Officially, I have to toe the company line, that climate change can be mitigated with the proper measures. But if you pour a few beers down the throat of any world-class ecologist, they will tell you the same. Climate-wise, we are screwed. It doesn't matter whether it's man-made or part of Earth's natural cycle, things are changing. The polar ice caps are melting, oceans will rise, fisheries are collapsing, breadbaskets will shift, and millions, possibly billions, of refugees will be created. The world's largest cities are at risk of inundation. The effects of climate change on seven billion earth inhabitants cannot be understated.

We should be preparing for this shift, not messing around with light-bulbs and carbon credits. It doesn't matter who is in the White House or Congress, or what Glen or Rush think about it.

This is why I am here; to help prepare myself and my family for this shift. I welcome discussion, and thanks for listening.

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Welcome, this is a great forum to be a part of........I'm sure you'll learn a lot and teach us a lot........once again, welcome:wave:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
72 Posts
welcome from m.d.

welcome aboard.
ask what you dont know .
tell what you do.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

I think most of us agree the climate has and is changed/changing, though there are probably different opinions on the cause and cure. Personally I think it's both a natural earth cycle AND a bit related to the things mankind have done.

Back in the early 80s I lived about 50 miles from Las Vegas for a few years, NE of there near Overton. I hadn't been back to that area for 25 years, and when we went and spent a couple months there I noticed a big different. In the 80s a few planes went overhead throughout the day, but the sky was mainly clear and bright, and the sunshine intense. This time there were SO MANY airplane jet exhaust trails criss-crossing the sky and diffusing the sunlight. Being there for so many weeks it was easy to see it wasn't a fluke to have so many planes passing overhead. We live out of the flight path up here in Montana and only see a couple planes a day, and they're pretty high up there. But down there? All day long, criss-crossing the sky. You could sit out there in the evening and see half a dozen at a time, coming in to Las Vegas one right after the other all evening, and others higher up headed to L.A. and wherever. The sky was milky quite often and the sun wasn't as strong and hot. I'm guessing that would affect the plants (and animals?), this long-term reduction of direct, clear sunshine.

I just have to think that all that exhaust in the atmosphere is contributing in a not-good way to some of our planet's changes. We hear all the time about cars and cutting down on driving, but not much is mentioned about curtailing some of the thousands of flights every day. Back on the famous 9/11 when all flights were grounded the scientists noticed a big change in just that one day of atmospheric conditons without the planes in the air.

And I'm sure there's other causes, including the natural cycles of the earth. I believe you're right, instead of spending so much time worrying about the causes and grumping around about idiot and corrupt politicians, we need to be spending time and money getting ourselves and loved ones prepared. Not that we should turn our back on worthy political fights and legislation, but it shouldn't pre-empt our personal preparedness!

Yak, yak, yak, I'll stop now and let someone else have a turn! :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm grateful to be here.

Mountainman, Nevada is a good place to be, but other desert places are better, for political reasons. Although Nevada has wonderful places to hide, obtaining water for long-term sustainable living can be a problem. Every drop is either controlled by the State or is owned by someone, and it's difficult to dig a well on the sly. Existing water-rights are obtainable but expensive. Maybe things are easier in northern Nevada, but I'm most familiar with southern end and water down here is a real issue. I'm staying south because frankly I hate the cold and would rather not deal with it. My personal strategy is to quietly obtain several small pieces of property in various locations with different attributes. When things shake out we'll decide where to go from there. This has only become possible since the real-estate meltdown, and out here, there are bargains everywhere... and since I saved while everyone else seemed to be spending, I can take advantage.

Gypsysue, Yes, Overton and the whole Moapa Valley has changed quite a bit over the years, but is still a great place. Glad to know of someone here who is familiar with the area!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts