Prepared Society Forum banner

Hi from Sweden, the greatest country on earth

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Raven348 
wow, I was almost sold... :rolleyes: Sweden sounded so good I google-searched 'Sweden overall tax rate', ignoring any wikicrapia hits of course

Country rankings for trade, business, fiscal, monetary, financial, labor and investment freedoms

looks like New Zealand did VERY well for itself from 2008-2009

the scores are figured from 10 'freedoms' ... I chose 2 that seem closely related & have been discussed previously in this thread

Sweden information on economic freedom | Facts, data, analysis, charts and more

Fiscal Freedom = 35.0

Sweden has a very burdensome income tax rate and a moderate corporate tax rate. The top income tax rate is effectively 57 percent (when both national and municipal taxes are taken into account), and the corporate tax rate is 28 percent. Other taxes include a value-added tax (VAT) and a capital gains tax. The wealth tax was abolished in January 2007. In the most recent year, overall tax revenue as a percentage of GDP was 49.7 percent.

Government Size = 7.3

Total government expenditures, including consumption and transfer payments, are very high. In the most recent year, government spending equaled 55.6 percent of GDP. Spending has been reduced from over 60 percent of GDP in the 1990s but is still at one of the highest rates among OECD member countries. Public debt has fallen below 40 percent of GDP.

United States information on economic freedom | Facts, data, analysis, charts and more

Fiscal Freedom = 67.5

U.S. tax rates are burdensome. Both the top income tax rate and the top corporate tax rate are 35 percent. Other taxes include a property tax, an estate tax, and excise taxes, and additional income and sales taxes are assessed at the state and local levels. In the most recent year, overall tax revenue as a percentage of GDP was 28.2 percent.

Government Size = 59.6

Total government expenditures, including consumption and transfer payments, are high. Government spending has been rising and in the most recent year equaled 36.7 percent of GDP. Stimulus measures passed in the second half of 2008 promised to push government spending significantly higher.

screw everybody... I'm moving to Hong Kong! ... :D ;)

The_Blob: You're making assumptions based on your personal preferences. You're assuming lower taxes are always better. That's like comparing a motorcycle to a truck and make the assumption that the motorcycle is better since it's smaller and smaller being a priority of yours.

In a country with low taxes there are very few state sponsored necessities, people who aren't born rich, but still have potential are often forces to take low education jobs because they can't afford to go to school.

Also, the 28% corporate tax is somewhat offset by government sponsorship (when you provide workplace for others, you get monetary support).

I also read something interesting. Apparently there is no law in USA that requires anyone to pay taxes. It wasn't made any law because it would violate that old paper they have that was written by some guy when USA became a country.
you obviously didn't bother to click any of the links I provided, the partial excerpts I provided aren't "my assumptions", these are facts

I would spend the time telling you how flawed each of your statements above are... but it boils down to: "you have NO IDEA what you are talking about"...

... but I suppose that is what I get for feeding a troll, MY bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.