Hi From North Jersey

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bbkaren, May 19, 2010.

1. bbkaren

bbkaren New Member

Hi folks--

Looking forward to sharing and learning with you all.

Hubby and I have been working on preps for about two years now.

We're at the point where we're probably pretty set for 6 months to a year (depending on who would be here) food, water, defense-wise, that sort of thing.

Now we're working on sustainability, which is tough in NJ where we're "those weird people" and sort of have to hide what we're doing.

We heat with wood and have put away as much gas, kerosene and propane as we've been able to find space for, although that's not that much. When we needed a new kitchen stove a year or so ago we got one that, although it's electronic ignition, it will light both the burners and the oven with a match. We cook with propane so we try to keep those tanks stocked up. Unfortunately we can't get the big propane tank as we don't have the space for it, so we have two of the 100 lb tanks.

We're in our 2nd year of raising meat rabbits and are about to get a few hens (although we're zoned against it, we don't have many neighbors and the ones we do have say it's fine with them.) I'm also in the 2nd year of gardening (modified square foot gardening system) which I'm really enjoying.

Two college kids, one four-year old, a couple dogs, cats, reptiles. We both work full time and are musicians (in an 80's cover band) on the weekend.

A busy life, but since we took the red pill, there's no turning back; we're prepping to avoid having to look our little guy in the eye and say, "Sorry son, no supper again tonight."

Looking forward to exchanging ideas and experiences with you all!

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave: ;)

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello and Welcome!

Sound like you have a grand start!:D Look forward to your post...

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:bbkaren from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.