hi from East Tennessee

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ohBehave, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ohBehave

ohBehave New Member

I'm just starting to consider the prospect of venturing into a more self-sustaining life.

It is hard to believe that "the end of the world as we know it" would ever come to pass, but the prospect of that sort of thing gives just one more excuse to do the "self sufficient" thing!

Frankly, I'd like to find a location in my area with cool farmer-types as neighbors. I've been buying organic vegetables from the same farmers for two years now. These guys form a co-op of local farmers. We have friendly, comfortable conversations, but I have never talked to them about my idea. I only know that they live about an hour outside of town.

Anyway, the thing that got me into this thought-experiment was my investment in gold/silver. Through that, I learned of possible hardships ahead.

I've always wanted an excuse to be a country boy, anyway.

Are there any ways to locate similarly minded groups in my area? Are there key words to search? "preparedness", "survivalists"?

oB

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome!:wave:

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:eek:hBehave from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

welcome aboard, remember you never know until you ask!!!

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome to the group. :)

6. tiedami

tiedami Well-Known Member

hello from a new member as well
    :woohoo:

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Many groups do not advertise on the internet, too many wackos out there and too many self-professed do-gooders that will try to tear-down what groups have created together.

Your best bet in working with a group is to join a hunting club, an alpine club (hiking, skiing, mtn-biking), a 4x4-group or an adventure-touring group. Many of the members of the groups practice self-sufficient lifestyles normally and you might find someone like-minded enough to create your own sub-group of the main group.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Enjoy the Forum :wave:

9. TNmedicman

TNmedicman NREMT-P

Welcome

Welcome to the forum from an East Tennessee Boy.

10. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

11. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

12. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Monroe County here--where ya located?

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

:)

14. SoonerBoomer

SoonerBoomer New Member

Take it from an old farm boy, it is easier to store the store bought than to raise new. What will happen after an EMP storm is we will ban together to raise products on a large scale. Its just too much work on a small scale when you really don't have to do it that way, ... yet. :)

15. groupsurvival

groupsurvival Active Member

Howdy OhBehave
    We are forming a survival group in East TN. Its first focus is economic survival through a co op with group bulk purchasing. Of course we also include survival training. You are welcome to contact me if interested.

16. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, lots of good information here. Please share your knowledge with us. Life is a learning experience.:)

17. Claymore5150

Claymore5150 Appalachian American

18. timmie

timmie timmie

welcome to the forum:wave:

19. allyn211

allyn211 Active Member

I'm not from East TN, but my grandmother's people came from Claiborne County, TN. I was born not that far from there, in SE KY.