Hi from Colorado!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by XJ Monk, Oct 28, 2008.

1. XJ Monk

XJ Monk Guest

Well, spent a few hours looking over many posts of subjects I have always had interest. What a great idea for a site!
    I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in a very remote location near Crawford, Colorado at 6500ft.
    When I first moved here and wanted power, the power company pissed me off so we did not talk for three years. I had to generate my own, and I did. I used a VW bug generator with belt drive to any current motor I could make run. Adapted several Briggs and Stratton garbage motors till they died and then found a little Honda 50 motor. The VW generator charged a couple simple deep cycle type batteries and a cooling fan for the Honda/Gen.
    I could watch fuzzy television...And simple 12v lights.
    I was a total city guy and I realized then that the most single important loss was a refrigerator. Dry goods. Bummer.

One of the coolest times of my life.

Um, I had to swallow my pride and crawl back the the power company and finally worked out a deal to get power to my property. But it sure is nice having a refrigerator now.

Anyway Hi all.

Bob near Crawford CO

2. Frank

Frank Member

Dude or dudette, that takes some doing. 3 yrs blowing off the grid. I am impressed.

3. lisat

lisat Well-Known Member

Welcome! Sounds you will have quite a few stories to contribute here, can't wait to hear them. Do you have a family that also lived for 3 years without power?

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Any plans to get back off power from the grid?