Hi from Alaska

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AKPrepper, Apr 5, 2011.

1. AKPrepper

AKPrepper Well-Known Member

I've been a lurker in these forums for a while and finally decided to join. During my lurking sessions I've learned alot and look forward to gaining even more knowledge. I'd readily share what I know, but compared to most, I doubt it'd be worth much.

Now if it'd just quit snowing........ :mad:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome! :wave:

3. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us. Learning is a lifetime experience.

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :wave:

5. AKPrepper

Thanks.....'preciate the replies. Self sufficiency is a way of life up here. The State's tag line, "The Last Frontier", pretty much says it all. You can't go anywhere without seeing something related to hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, just about anything related to the outdoors. I've read alot about the growing seasons, but what most folks don't realize, is that we may have a short growing "season", but we have 20 hours of daylight per day to grow things. :D Stop by the State Fair in September and you'll get to see cabbages, pumpkins, and other veggies that a single cabbage or whatnot, has to be hauled in with a pickup truck and lifted out with sling from a forklift. Yeah, I know....it sounds like BS, but it ain't. Point is, this year I'm starting a garden and hope I get more than dirt out of it!! Picked up lots of pointers from this forum so maybe I'll have some luck.... :dunno:

6. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I vacationed for 2 weeks in Alaska. I was in the middle of nowhere in a newly-built vacation cabin (rental) that was about 75 miles from Wasilla. It was bright as day at 2am and I couldn't sleep. I stepped out onto the deck for a cigarette. It was colder so I was inside but turning the doorknob to go out, lit my cigarette real quick, and ran outside with a big jump ---almost into a BEAR! I scared the bear more and he/she ran off. I was within a dwarf's reach of walking DIRECTLY into the bear. That was the last time I've been to Alaska :)

Welcome! :welcome:

7. AKPrepper

Yep, you do have to keep an eye out for Yogi up here, and Bullwinkle. More people have been injured by moose than bear, mostly becuase they appear docile and non-threatening. Unlike a bear which we all fear and have a natural instinct to avoid. Interestingly enough....so does the bear. :2thumb: However, don't let the moose's demeanor fool you.....they'll simply stand there and stomp you. I hope that experience doesn't deter you from coming back. The weather is quickly changing up here as we're in the middle of break up, the daylight is getting longer ( it didn't get dark until 9:30 last night), and it's starting to "warm" up a bit. It's supposed to be in the 50's today, but it'll be a few more days before I take what I've sprouted indoors and plant it in my raised garden. Then the real fun begins.....keeping the critters out of it, especially Bullwinkle. This time of year is a like a big buffet for them with everyone planting flowers, putting out potted plants, and getting the gardens going. And if you're caught shooing them away, you could be fined for "harrassing" them! Gimme a break! :mad: Personally I'd prefer to just shoot them and add them to the menu along with my fresh veggies, but that too would land you in the gray bar hotel. Go figure.... :dunno:

8. Alaskaorbust

Alaskaorbust Member

I'm planning on moving to Alaska

I hope to move to Alaska next year. I am wondering how that will be.

Our Daughter lives there (went up there for the Air Force, married a native and now lives there) We plan to live in their house while they live in his parents house for the next 5 years. (his parents will live in another city in Alaska for that time.)

I am new to being a preper and just starting to put together my preps.

Is it easy to be a preper in Alaska? Are there a lot of resources for it there?

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

I've heard Alaska is "a young man's country", and although I'm a woman, I don't think I'm up to it. We had considered it at one time. I find Montana and it's cold climate and long winter to be challenge enough! My best friend from high school moved up there near Fairbanks and raised 3 kids as a single mom. She loved it.

You're right about moose. They're more dangerous than the bears, especiallly the mom's with their calves.

It'll be great to read what you post. Tell us more about life up there!

:)

10. musketjim

musketjim Well-Known Member

Gypsysue, I've been reading you're posts for awhile and I think you could survive anywhere, keep up the good work.:2thumb: Montana isn't exactly sunshine and lollipops all the time I'm sure.:D I've visited a few times and studied the mountain man fur trading history and it's a beautiful state with rugged people and history. Keep up the good fight down there. As far as Alaska we're always studying and learning from others as well just to make it thru.