Prepared Society Forum banner

Hi everyone, I'm Just getting started.

920 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  LVmutineer 
#1 ·
Hi all I'm a newly converted lilly-livered egghead bleeding-heart. I realized recently that I'm over-regulated, pacified by TV, and if something bad happened anywhere in the food or oil supply chain (not to mention terrorists, and any number of tin foil hat scenarios) , my life, and more importantly, the lives of my family wouldn't be worth a warm cup of spit.

The bad news:

If you want to survive a civilization collapse, or even a short term disaster, Las Vegas is pretty much the last place you want to be. especially if THE DAM is compromised. Bad soil, all water controlled by the guvment, no local food supply (c'ept the pig farm), few ways out of the valley, and 2 million thirsty hoodlums-you get the idea...
I haven't held a weapon since boy scouts, the only thing I've grown with any success is dandyloins, And I don't know doodly squat about long term food storage, oh, and, we're broke.

The Good News:

I think I know most of the things I'm going to need to learn. I'm not ashamed to bust up pallets for garden containers or firewood, I know the mountains, the roads, the camps, and where the springs are. I know what you can eat up there, and where the game is (where there are no trails or roads) obviously, even if I had a gun and shot or trapped some game I would make a horrible mess trying to dress it, but I digress. The last bit of good news is that I've been reading a lot about all this, and now I'm starting to DO.

The Start:

Started talking to the family about preparedness (the Mrs. still thinks I'm off my rocker, but wants a garden so its a start)
We started throwing plant waste in a 5gal flower pot out by the garage, along with dirt leaves and coffee grounds.
I'm on the lookout for any kind of free wood for planters and a chicken coop (the Mrs. said ok to chickens-beat that!)
and I'm stashing Ramen and hot coco for a short term home kit.
Got kits in the cars with food(coast guard bars), water and blankets also, plastic, string, duct tape, cups, matches, etc.)

Well I recon that's enough outta me. Look forward to talkin to you all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. You're doing just fine. I'm new to prepping myself, and pretty much in the same financial situation as you are, but it sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

#3 ·
The one good thing about living in the Las Vegas area is that in the face of a major collapse, it will probably be one of the few places on Earth that still has electricity. Due to the way that Hoover Dam was constructed, it can basically operate all by itself without any supervision as long as there is water in the reservoir.

Then there is the amount of sunlight you get per year which is pretty good for operating a solar power system.

Not to mention the warmer climate during the winter months.

I agree that the biggest threat you will most likely face is the amount of people and the lack of resources. So be prepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.