Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't wanna share this with the whole world, so, you all will get the basic info ...

Monday night I signed papers to put my house up for sale, the listing price will be $225k. I found an almost 7 acre parcel with large barn for larger animals, 5-car garage, 2-car garage, medium sized greenhouse and two (TWO) houses on the lot. Everything ready to go for about $185k.

It looks like I could put a 1 acre garden in the front yard (south-facing) with a few hedge-rows of berry bushes. I will need to rebuild part of the greenhouse (panels missing) and will need to do several dump-runs to clean out the 5-car garage (floor-to-ceiling full of junk).

My realtor thinks that I will probably be moving towards the end of May - so - that means that I will have a very little amount of time to spend on the forum for the evenings while I am packing and cleaning and (etc) the house I am in right now.

After I get onto the new property, I will start the de-grid process and see where that takes me ...

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Rock on, man. That's great to hear. You've been waiting for this for a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Awesome!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

I will start the de-grid process and see where that takes me ... now when you get to this part ... well, I hope you have some time to post. :D

I did get my hubby to get a solar fence charger :melikey: and hope to grow from there...

Congrats again!!!!!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Hope you're housing market is in better shape than here in the US.

Keep us up to date when you can.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
let us know if you need help with the forum, such as extra mods etc etc, I'm sure most here would be willing to lend a hand

:congrat: :2thumb: to you

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will still have time to watch the forum from work and once I get all settled into the new place I will (probably) have time to keep track of what is happening on the forum - well, that will be around working the big yard, mowing the lawn, planting the garden, pulling wrenches in the garage, running the welder, fixing fences, pruning the hedges / trees, etc ....

Dayum, I don't know if I will have much time to sleep after the move! :scratch

Oh well, I have been working towards this end for close to 25 years now ...

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Oh, Pshaw, NaeKid! You've been burning the candle on both ends for years! What's a little thing like owning your own homestead and working toward off-grid going to add to that!

I'm happy that you're closer to the dream of yours! Good luck!

:)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sounds like a winner, you will know what you need to do one project at a time.:)

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Congratulations!!! One thing, though.... don't take all of that "stuff" in the garage to the dump!!! :eek: Call a couple of "pickers" to come in and look it over first. They will probably pay top dollar for some of the stuff. ;)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations!!! One thing, though.... don't take all of that "stuff" in the garage to the dump!!! :eek: Call a couple of "pickers" to come in and look it over first. They will probably pay top dollar for some of the stuff. ;)
From what I have seen in the yard, there isn't anything really worth saving. I found chop-saws (for cutting steel) in there missing so many parts that even taking to the scrap-metal dealers they will laugh at you and hand you a nickle. I found chain-saws (maybe about 10 of them) hanging from the rafters on chains in various states of dismantling. I found washing machines dismantled, clothes dryers with car-parts inside the drum assembly.

I will go through everything very carefully and inventory it all and anything that is metal that isn't worth keeping will go to the metal scrappers (I'll get top-dollar 'cause I know them all) and everything else will either be given away (like the chain-saws to my buddy who is a Husqvarna dealer) or sold-off in the local papers ... anything that can burn that I don't want, will be burned and then the last items that I can't do anything with will end up at the dump ... I don't expect very much will end up at the dump - just about everything will have some kind of recycle-value - even if it just roasts marshmellow :2thumb:

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Sounds like you made an amazing find, I didn't think you could find anything
with buildings for a price like that. Do you have a very long move distance??
:beercheer:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you made an amazing find, I didn't think you could find anything with buildings for a price like that. Do you have a very long move distance??
:beercheer:
The primary place I am looking at is about half-way between Blackie and Vulcan down a long gravel road - it has been on the market for over 1.5 years now. Another place that I am looking at is in pristine-condition, 80 acres with big red barn, huge workshop (14' doors), small woodworking workshop (original house), 1300sq ft house and various outbuildings ... and a creek through the backyard for $425k .... and there are so many more deals on the market for acreages right now that it is a buyers market.

I found quarter-sections not far from the city for $100k of raw-land, I found home-quarters out towards Gleichen for under $300k, Rosebud lots of places for under $250k (10 acres to 60 acres) .... I have been on my realtor's email-listing for about 3 years now watching prices, homes, acreages and right now is an amazing time to buy ---- everything is cheap!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I found chop-saws (for cutting steel) in there missing so many parts that even taking to the scrap-metal dealers they will laugh at you and hand you a nickle. I found chain-saws (maybe about 10 of them) hanging from the rafters on chains in various states of dismantling. I found washing machines dismantled, clothes dryers with car-parts inside the drum assembly.

:2thumb:
`

NaeKid, have you been rummagin' around in my barn? :) Sheesh. Well, anyhow........congrats on your new place. Wish you the best.

PS After you get rid of all the junk in your garage, if you then find you need some old chain saws, chop saws, washing machines, clothes dryers or car parts, by golly, you just let me know. I'll ship some up to you.:D

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
... and to let you know, I just finished the deal to buy 7.5 acres with a creek about a 40 minute drive at highway speeds to Calgary city limits. Paid $320,000 for a 1600 sq ft house with a bunch of garden sheds - awesome price! Got them down from $550,000 :2thumb:

So, now I will have to build a garage for my Jeeps and motorbikes (ya, I bought a second motorbike a couple weeks back) ... what do you guys think of this plan?

864-2 - 24' x 36'

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I'm happy for you!!! Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:2thumb: :congrat: :D

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Great deal! How cool that you got them to bring the price down so far! A creek is like having gold. At least with having to build your garage you can customize it to suit yourself!

Best wishes!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts