·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The who, what, when, where, and why of beer. :beercheer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm drinking a St Feuillien triple from Belgium if you haven't tried a good bottle fermented and conditioned beer from Belgium your really missing out.

:beercheer: :beercheer: :beercheer:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ever heard of this one? Gonna tuck it away, in case the stores one day run dry, not sure I'm ready to try it right now...:hmmm:

BIRCH BEER

Measure 4 quarts of finely cut twigs of sweet birch into the bottom of a 5 gallon crock.

In a large kettle, stir 1 gallon of honey into 4 gallons birch sap and boil for 10 minutes, then pour over the chopped twigs. When cool, strain to remove the twigs and return to the crock.

Spread 1 cake of soft yeast on a slice of toasted rye bread and float on top of the beer. Cover with a cloth and let ferment until the cloudiness just starts to settle, about a week but it depends somewhat on the temperature.

Bottle the beer and cap tightly. Store in a dark place and serve it cold after the weather gets hot. It should stand in the bottles for about 3 months before using. If opened too soon, it will foam all over and pop worse than champagne.

THIS IS NOT A DRINK FOR CHILDREN

SWEET BIRCH also called Black birch, Sweet birch or Cherry birch has fragrant bark and twigs that smells of wintergreen. The sap flows about a month later than maple and much faster than maple. You tap the trees the same as maple but must gather about 3 times as often.

The sap also can be boiled the same as maple but the syrup is much stronger, more like molasses.

... got recipes on the brain right now, been going through a couple of generations of recipe books and handwritten cards, I'm surprised I'm not crosseyed from trying to read everyone's cursive writing. The pshh of a beer being opened would sound pretty good right now.:beercheer:

·
265 Posts
The who, what, when, where, and why of beer. :beercheer:
Well, if you are looking for answers on all those questions, come over to belgium!!!

I know a little bar where they have over 2000 beers in stock, permanently. With beers from all over the world :)

My favourite light beer would be Stella Artois, but I am also a big fan of Vedett

My favourite triple and my favourite beer overall would be "Delirium Tremens" (Best beer in the world 1997)

My favourite special beer is a "Kwak"

Not that this is a beer, but I am also a whiskey fan, and I have just bought a bottle of 12yo single speyside malt Cragganmore Distillers Edition 1996-2008 :2thumb:

Btw, pdx210 I haven't tasted a "St Feuillien triple" yet, let me know how it goes down!

greetz,

A.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I really like Guinness. As far as the blue collar, go grab a case at the distributor on the way home, nothing fancy type beers, I like Pabst Blue Ribbon and a local beer called Stoney's. Stoney's used to be brewed in Smithton PA at the Jones brewery. It was founded in its current from by "Stoney" Jones, a miner who won the place in a card game, supposedly. He was the grandfather of the actress Shirley Jones. They had some money trouble in the last few years and I think Iron City in Pittsburgh contract brews it now.

Some other locally made beers from the SW Pennsylvania area: Rolling Rock (until recently) was made in Latrobe (read the back of a bottle-"from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium beer...") Now it's made somewhere else and Sam Adams is brewed in RR's old brewery. Iron City, Straub, we actually have a lot. Straub and Stoney's are both brewed with no sugar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Generally, I will opt for Guinness, but I like a number of Irish beers. Harp, Smithwick's (pronounced "Smirticks or Smeerticks by the Irish) and others.

I also like Sam Adams. There are a couple of local microbreweries that make good stuff, including Great Lakes, with names such as Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Fire River Ale.

I also like several Mexican beers, especially Tecate and Dos Equis. NO CORONA PLEASE!

I'm not a big fan of most of the domestics, personally.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Generally, I will opt for Guinness, but I like a number of Irish beers. Harp, Smithwick's (pronounced "Smirticks or Smeerticks by the Irish) and others.

I also like Sam Adams. There are a couple of local microbreweries that make good stuff, including Great Lakes, with names such as Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Fire River Ale.

I also like several Mexican beers, especially Tecate and Dos Equis. NO CORONA PLEASE!

I'm not a big fan of most of the domestics, personally.
Gotta agree with you on the Mexican beers Doc, I like Tecate, Bohemia,Negra Modelo being the ones, and AGREED no stinkin Corona!!!

The Tsingtao Brewery was founded in 1903 by German settlers
in Qingdao, China. I like Tsingtao and it is a good beer !! I don't have it often and then with dinner.

And anybody who was around in the 60's and spent time in the Philippines will know about San Miguel beer, when I was there last, the exchange rate was 7.5 Peso's to the dollar, you could go into any bar and get ice cold San Migual for 50 centavos, meaning 15 ice cold beers served by some of the hottest bar girls in the world for $1.00..life was good!!! Hell the girls cost a buck too....:D

Happy :beercheer::beercheer::beercheer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
We

Btw, pdx210 I haven't tasted a "St Feuillien triple" yet, let me know how it goes down!
it was good but i like the chimay white better.

We have a market here that has 1000's of beers and the largest selection of Belgium beers Ive ever seen they even carry Kegs of Stella Artois, La Chouffe, Lindemans Framboise,Duchesse De Bourgogne, St. Bernardous,

i need to make a trip to Belgium someday have you been to Westvleteren brewery

·
265 Posts
it was good but i like the chimay white better.

We have a market here that has 1000's of beers and the largest selection of Belgium beers Ive ever seen they even carry Kegs of Stella Artois, La Chouffe, Lindemans Framboise,Duchesse De Bourgogne, St. Bernardous,
Nice, just thinking about beer, makes me wanna drink some :) I'm gonna open up a vedett, just for starters :D

i need to make a trip to Belgium someday have you been to Westvleteren brewery
Good idea, you will not regret it. No I haven't been to the west-vleteren brewery yet. But is on my list of things I will get to eventually. It will be like a pilgrimage for me :p

greetz,

V.

·
265 Posts
And thanks for starting this thread, I'm trying to lose weight you know.:eek:
Well, beer is an excellent meal replacer! One beer (no not a bud-light, a real beer) equals 4 slices of bread. So, just have a beer 4 times a day, eat some steak for the protein and you are good to go! :D

V.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Using Vertigo's logic, a beer or two could be used to replace a big stack of pancakes for breakfast! Beer n bacon..mmmmm.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Using Vertigo's logic, a beer or two could be used to replace a big stack of pancakes for breakfast! Beer n bacon..mmmmm.
I almost hate to post this but....

I had a buddy in the Corps who after a night of drinking and raising hell and waking with a bad hangover.... and I swear this is the truth..

Would pour a cold beer over a bowl of Fretos and eat it like a bowl of ceral...

I will admit to washing jelly filled do-nuts down with beer once but I was young and ...hungry? :D

·
265 Posts
I almost hate to post this but....

I had a buddy in the Corps who after a night of drinking and raising hell and waking with a bad hangover.... and I swear this is the truth..

Would pour a cold beer over a bowl of Fretos and eat it like a bowl of ceral...

I will admit to washing jelly filled do-nuts down with beer once but I was young and ...hungry? :D
I don't know about that "bowl of fretos", but it is a known trick around here to drink one more beer on the morning of the hangover. It is supposed to help you cope with the hangover, by getting you slightly drunk again.

V.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like to brew my own. I am also fiddling with going to gruit ale (using different herbs rather than hops).

I also make mead (honey wine) and some fruit wines (elderberry and apple).

btw, people who drink light beer don't like the taste of beer, they just like to pee alot LOL!

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I tried to make mead once, using a kit I got at a Ren Faire. It got all vinegary. I think I let it sit in the jug for too long while it was fermenting. I don't come across mead too often but it's really good stuff.

·
The Silver Cow
38 Posts
Hooray! I love beer!

I am enjoying an IPA homebrew of my own. It is pretty low on the hoppy flavor, but as it ages it is becoming smoother.

When I am not drinking a homebrew I love to drink the local brews: SKA Pinstripe, Double Blonde, Modus Hoperandi IPA, and their ESB are total winners. Oh, and anything Carvers pumps out is worth the trip to the Little D in SWCO.

I so miss the brews and food from Freestate Brewery in Lawrence, KS, but I was lucky to move to a beer mecca in 2005.

·
The Silver Cow
38 Posts
I tried to make mead once, using a kit I got at a Ren Faire. It got all vinegary. I think I let it sit in the jug for too long while it was fermenting. I don't come across mead too often but it's really good stuff.
How long did it sit in the carboy? What temp was it aging at? I would imagine from my experience with assisting on mead batches that the temp might have fluctuated a lot during the process.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts