Hendershot generator

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by talob, Dec 8, 2012.

1. talob

talob Well-Known Member

Through a link I just watched an add to build this "perpetual motion" maching the Hendershot generator plans information for 47$, being the skeptical being that I am I go by the old saying if it sounds to good to be true than it probably is. Got me wondering though anyone else seen the add or had any experience with this? What a concept!

2. labotomi

labotomi Well-Known Member

If it were so great, why aren't they making the machines and selling them? Instead they're making money by scamming people out of $47.

There is no perpetual motion machine and no generator that produces more energy than it consumes.

There will always be:
    Bearing friction
    Windage losses
    Heat losses due to electrical resistance (I squared * R)
    Eddy current losses
    Any noise it makes is a loss in energy

I could go on, but the list would be very long.

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Keep your $47...

4. Jimthewagontraveler

Jimthewagontraveler Well-Known Member

DADGUMIT.
    I am soooo tempted to sell you the plans for
    ONLY $10.00.
    But I have a really annoying honesty streak.

5. Boomy

Boomy Archive of Useless Knowledge

Where would the energy come from?

In its simplest form, the First Law of Thermodynamics states that neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. The amount of energy in the universe is constant – energy can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated. However, this energy cannot be created from nothing or reduced to nothing. Every natural process transforms energy and moves energy, but cannot create or eliminate it.This principle forms a foundation for many of the physical sciences.

6. Bobbb

Bobbb Well-Known Member

Everytime I see this thread title in the New Posts listing my eye sees "Head Shot Generator." Just thought I'd share.

7. Marcus

Marcus Texian

From what I read about it, the generator uses the Earth's magnetic field to generate a small amount of power (~300 watts.) I can see how it might be possible, but even the websites I visited mentioned that it required hours to 'tune' the generator properly to produce power.

The question is, would you be willing to spend $47 and quite a bit of time to build something that will then take several more hours to get to work properly?

FYI, 300 watts will almost power a computer so you'll need several of these devices to replace to run a typical house. The point I'm trying to make is that it'll take several man-weeks to just to build and tune enough units to replace your utility provider. If anyone wishes to try and do this, I'd be interested in hearing of the results.

8. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

To the OP, it's a scam as already stated.

Laptops are usually much lower - 60-90 watts, even less on "netbook" style machines and a custom built desktop can be much lower too. Experimenting at work, we built a Mini-ITX form factor system with a 128GB SSD drive, keyboard and mouse that pulled between 19-25watts on idle and modest usage. When maxing the video and processor we still were only in the low 40's. Now this did not include a display however a LED based LCD would not add that much more.

Of course most off the shelf mini tower or desktop based system would indeed be substantially higher and close to the 300 (or more) watt draw that Marcus mentions.

9. talob

talob Well-Known Member

You mean not real? Oh well theres still Santa Clause on Christmas eve.:)

10. olimni

olimni New Member

Why would AOL allow such a FRAUD to be added to their advertising list. Is this an ethical AOL issue? You bet. Sue !

11. jbrowneng

jbrowneng New Member

Anytime I hear the word "perpetual" I get the willies. My boss brought this to my attention and said he would spring for the materials and cost if I wanted to put it together.

12. talob

talob Well-Known Member

If he is footing the bill would be an interesting experiment, but at the same time if their that naive in good conscience I'd have to warn them they could very well be throwing their money away.

13. yzdeaner

yzdeaner New Member

No one is claiming the Henershot Generator creates energy. Rather it is the converting the earth's magnetic energy field to electrical energy just as solar panels convert the sun's energy and wind turbines convert the wind's energy. Naturally, along the way there will be some loss of energy in the conversion.
    The question is, has anyone actually built the damn thing and does it work? Wouldn't the amount of wattage converted depend on the power gauss rating of the magnets used? So the claim of needing numerous generators is a false issue. Just my two cents.

14. Trip286

Trip286 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Sterling engine would be a better alternative. You can run a small classroom demonstration model off the body heat from the palm of your hand.

15. Tomarchi0

Tomarchi0 New Member

I'm a little bemused by the rhetoric, The biggest magnet on earth is earth, when those magnetic lines are cut, electricity is the result

16. labotomi

When I push on a mountain, I move the mountain. While factually accurate, the actual motion is too little to be considered significant.
    You might as well say a car traveling east or west will generate electricity since it's factually accurate. That doesn't mean the energy is useful as it's too small to be utilized.

It is a big magnet... however the electricity generating strength is very, very, very weak (gauss rating) So weak that a refrigerator magnet has twice the magnetic strength as the core of the Earth and over 75 times the strength of the Earths magnetic field at the surface.
    The rate that the field strength falls with respect to distance makes the Earths magnetic field the stronger of the two since it covers an area several times the size of the earth and a refrigerator magnet fall to insignificance within inches, but that's not the relevant part of generating electricity.

Since induced voltage is proportional to
    • Magnetic field strength (the Earth's is tiny)
    • Number of conductors in the generator
    • Relative speed between the conductors and magnetic field

There would need to be an incredible amount of conductors or rotating at unobtainable speeds to generate "useful" voltage. If the strength of the Earths magnetic field were strong enough to provide generators with a useful field, you'd have many more problems. All the ferrous metals would tend to migrate over time to the poles in addition to aligning in a north-south direction. The older CRT screens would never have worked and you would lose data on hard drives randomly and frequently if it could be written to begin with.

In addition to all the above, look into counter-torque or motor action in a generator and you'll see that right off the bat you're working against the very thing that propels the device. This is the main reason that no generator can be self powered. They all have to have more energy going in that can be taken out.

Please let me know what portion of my rhetoric bemuses you and I'll be glad to address it further.

17. torrero

torrero New Member

No one here has said that they have tried this, only that they debunk this..
    The question was ..
    Has anyone ever ponied up the $ and tried this to see if it works.
    Sounds plausible to me as I know there is a magnetic field in the earth, and there is a pulse flux in the Earth, if the Earth is a giant magnet spinning on it's poles..
    We know you guys here say it won't work... the question is have you spent the money and tried it !!

18. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I had a very well educated scientific business partner look at it. It's not real.

How about you pony up the $ and let us know...

19. cnsper

cnsper Well-Known Member

When things say it will defy the laws of physics then I pass. I have seen ads for this and other crap with that claim. Sorry, you are not going to do that and they did not do it over 100 years ago either.

Tessla must be spinning in his grave for what people are doing with his name.

20. labotomi

No one ANYWHERE has said that they have tried this.
    Anyone that has bought this and tried it would be too embarrassed to admit it.

I addressed the "plausibility" reasoning you state in the post right above yours.

If you get the chance to build one:
    In a vacuum
    using friction-less surfaces
    with superconductors
    and
    Somehow eliminate the innate characteristic of ALL generators to oppose the force that moves them (because in effect they become an opposing motor)

You might be able to design around the field strength, number of conductors and relative speed issues. Until then you'll just be wasting your money.