Helping my mom

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Moose33, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

I hope you all don't think I'm completly off my nut here. My healthy 77 year old mother lives happily in a small apartment in Idaho. She's 1,500 miles from me and an 8hour+/- drive from my brother. She is a good driver and has reliable non gas guzzling transportation.

I want to make sure she has enough food and stuff put back to last a few days until she can get to my brother's house, or he can get to her, if need be. I'm sure that if I ask her to pick up a few extra things and stash them under her bed she'd be happy to do so. I'll be funding her stash.

My mother has the ability to create a wonderful meal out of what appears to be thin air. She was a back country hunting camp cook for many years. She is independent and quite resourceful in many ways. I've made a list and I'm wondering if I might be missing something obvious. Any suggestions for additions or subtractions will be appreciated.

Keeping in mind she has the normal, small 1 person household pantry here's the list: 2+/-lb sugar, 1lb salt, 1lb baking soda, 1bx baking powder, rice, beans, oatmeal, 6 tuna, 6 sm canned veggies, 6 sm canned fruits, 6 cans soup, a can opener, flavored drink mix or tea bags, 1 sm.mayo, 1 sm bag flour, 2 flashlights, batteries, 4pk of TP, some kind of small stove, matches, 3-5 gal water and 30 days of any necessary meds. I've also made a list for a few standard car supplies. Last but not least is to make sure she has $150+/- in small bills.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Moose

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm going under the assumption of a less than total SHTF scenario:
    depending on the meds (type/cost) you might want to make it a 90 day supply if you can afford it,
    maybe switch to a piezo-electric or induction 'shake-charge' flashlight,
    add some canned milk,
    in case she has trouble with the can opener, pull top cans of veggies, fruits, soup,
    pouched tuna fish or some semi-prepared meals in a box for convenience,
    4 pack (or more) of toilet paper, :eek: :sssh:
    instead of jars of condiments packets weigh less and are free,
    special K protein mix to add to bottled water,
    if she needs to drive continuously and can handle the strain, some 5-hr energy type drinks,
    a small HIDDEN box for her jewelry if she needs it & maybe some 'junk' silver quarters/dimes,
    thermal blankets

3. Moose33

Hi Blob,
    Thank you for the suggestions. This is meant for a less than full blown manure strike on the ventilation. Maybe the beginning of a breakdown, situations begin to deterioate, she's uncomfortable and wants to get outta Dodge.

You're right, I/she can find more convenient foods than I listed. I'll check out what exactly is available in pull top cans, pouched foods, things that require little or no cooking. Maybe a few MRE like meals & heaters would be good too since this is intended to be for the short term.

Mother has volunteered at her local hospital for years. I'll bet she can find packs of condiments, silverware and the like. Didn't think of that. A protien mix for the water, why didn't I think of that.

Will defintely bump the meds to 90 days. Her docs are great about cost saving. Here's a larger mg. script, cut them in half so a 30 day supply lasts 60, or 60 lasts 120, that kind of thing. Part of the car list I put together includes two blankets and a pillow.

Thanks much for your thoughts,
    Moose

4. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

For the car , some additional gas in covert containers
    an aircompressor/ tiresealer kit
    Does she check he own oil/ coolant levels and tire air pressure ?
    all very important for a long trip.
    And for sure a map of alternative routes with some kind of search plan for if she had a break down on route

5. Moose33

Thanks Tirediron,
    I did not have car maintenance items or maps on my car list, I sure do now. In her little car two to three extra gallons of gas will go a very long way!!
    Thank you,
    Moose

6. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

If she is on the road traveling to your brother's house I am thinking the pull top single serve cereals with single serve mix and pour dry milk packets.
    My mom got my DH one of those coffee mugs that plug into a lighter plug in your car and it heats up in 10 minutes. It is perfect for heating water to make oodles of noodles or hot chocolate. Granola bars, fruit roll ups, Ensure.

7. TimB

TimB Member

I would recommend she only have the containers for gas (preferrably new or well aired-out old ones) in her trunk and fill them if it becomes necessary. Daily travel w/ containers of fuel can be dangerous. :eek:
    The thought of an older lady travelling alone during bad times is not a comforting thought. Hopefully, you or your brother would be able to get to her if it became necessary.

Tim

8. Moose33

Thanks Tim, good point. Maybe a couple or three new, small containers in the trunk would be best. I say small because I want to make sure she's able to handle them on her own.
    Moose

9. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

And while we're at it, for car checklist, make sure the spare has air in it. Always give a :scratch when one of my freinds tell me they've gone to change a flat, with another flat!

10. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

If she is going to be traveling in the cold season, try to find a smaller all tin coffee can and about 5 to10 of the little tin bottomed tea light candles and a small lighter or a few packs of strike anywhere matches and put them in the car-- it is amazing how one small candle in a tin soup can or small coffee can can help keep the heat up in a car in the winter..
    and maybe a few of those hand warmer thingys that you just open and they heat up for about 7 hours... don't let them get too old tho, they only stay warm for about 5 hours or less.

11. Moose33

Thank you MrSfstk8d, I'll make sure she has her spare up to snuff. Along the same line, Tirediron suggested a pressure guage, that too is now on the list.
    Moose

12. Moose33

Thank you Emerald, coffee can, tea lights, and hand warmer gizmos are now on the list. I'm guessing you are so right. A tea candle will heat the coffee can and that's going to put out a lot of "safe" warmth.
    Moose

13. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

:eek: I wish I could claim the fame but my mom put one in my car along with a good sleeping bag and a pillow so that when I started driving on my own and slide into a ditch or the clunker car that I bought pooped out I would be warm till someone came along or till they could come get me.... I had a CB radio in the car-gift from the stepdad.. and I must say that first couple of winters I used all of the above as I did slide into a few snow banks and off the road a few times!