Help! What causes this on my tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by Ezmerelda, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

These are my Rutger tomatoes.

Nearly all of them have the strange marks, and some of them are split open.

[​IMG]

Is this normal, or do I have an infestation of something? Or, too much nitrogen, not enough of something else? Too much or not enough water?

I'm new to gardening, and this is the first year I got any tomatoes at all. Any help from you more experienced gardeners will be greatly appreciated.

2. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Too much water at one time. Had a lot of rain lately? But they are still good to eat.

Jimmy

3. Ezmerelda

Yes, when the plants were still young, we had quite a bit of rain.

Ok, so now I know that I don't have some strange critter in my tomatoes.

Thank you so much for your help.

4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Happens to mine as well and for the reason Jimmy mentioned. They're just stretch marks.

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Yup.. Just too much water at one time... Some tomatoes are more prone to it than others. I didn't have to many of the Rutgers do it but my Purple Russians love to crack like that..
    The only tomato I've grown that didn't do it ever was Opalka.
    It usually is much worse if you have a long dry spell(where they didn't water consistently) and then get a huge deluge of rain. If happens to me(or I see it coming I mean) I've gone out and put down trash bags along the ground (stem area to about a foot out)and tried to keep the ground dryer around my tomatoes. it does help a bit.. We've had a good year here so far. It has just gotten dry this last few weeks.

6. 41south

41south Well-Known Member

You can try this tip. Mix about 4 table spoons of epsom salts in a gallon of water, pour it around the plants, about a foot away from the base of the plant. Don't use a gallon on each one, just kinda soak the ground good in a circle about a foot away from the plants.

7. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

that is good advice if you live in my area of the US but there are many areas of the US that you should not feed Epsom's salts without getting your soil tested.. Folks in the southern/western areas already have quite a bit of minerals and salts in the soil. Adding more would really not help them.

8. Ezmerelda

Oh, great, now even my tomatoes have stretch marks? :gaah:

:D I think that's a very apt description.

They taste FANTASTIC, so it's easy to ignore how ugly they are. I'm going to be canning some very soon.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Ezmerelda ...

Thanks for the smile ...