Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Jack of Alot, Master of Few........
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an old 3pt slat plow. It's stamped Chattanooga on the frame pic is included. There is a piece on the back of the slats that I am not familiar with what it's for. Also it has what appear to be bolts holding the front blade on the frame but they use what looks like crush washer of some kind to hold the bolt/pins on. One of them is missing the washers and I am assuming a high quality grade 8 bolt will suffice to hold the blade to the frame in its place?

Thanks for the help

Lee

Attachments

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad had one of those for potato digging.
It was not 3 pt , but was pulled with a single tree and a mule.

That's all it was used for.

Don't recognize the attachment on the rear either. Maybe a support mechanism for those blades.

From 1907

Jim

·
Jack of Alot, Master of Few........
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim after some more research and digging it looks like this was a horse drawn slat-mold plow. Now looking back at the piece on the back that appears to be where the wooden handles would have bolted too and what make up the top of the 3rd pt for the hitch was cut off from the original horse drawn arm and welded where it was cut. As long as it works I think it'll do just fine, probably need to go nice and slow with it though since it was originally designed to be pulled by a horse or two.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
A plow usually is designed to cut at a brisk walking pace for a horse, if your tractor has adjustable draft sensing it should be able to be set so that it lifts the plow if the pull gets too heavy.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Right, it's a "walking plow" (horse drawn with handles so that you guided it from behind) that someone has converted to use a three point hitch on. The old walking plows were often known to break ribs if you hit a rock or hard patch of ground. The plow would twist and the handles would hit the person walking behind it with enough force to break ribs.

Our neighbors had a lister they used for digging and planting potatoes. It wouldn't cut the potatoes as bad as a plow did.

My uncle just used a three bottom plow pulled behind the tractor to "dig" potatoes. When you had a half acre of potatoes loosing some to the plow wasn't a big deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts