Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the year of the flea here,they are bad.
How do we prepare for infestations with natural products that WORK?
Last week we treated our dog with sray,she hallucinated on the crap.
:eek:.Soon as we realized she was tripping out we bathed her.Some dogs can't handle insecticides.

10% Seven Dust worked on infested areas so the chemicle companys who work with and control the EPA has outlawed it.:mad:

Any natural type recipe would be helpful.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I know that free range chickens will keep tick populations way down ... not sure about fleas. I cant recall if the chickens ate fleas or not -- if so.... FREE FEED! :D

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I have diatomaceous earth (DE)...I put it in my buckets of food for insect control...I've read several places online tells one to liquify the powder, spray it and it will control pests around the garden.
You can research it and it is sooo cheap---a 5 lb box cost me...11.00.:p

And, yes, it is food grade, and I take it every morning---my hair grew tremendously fast in just 3 months(the girl that cuts my hair wouldn't shut up about my growth)---my neighbor asked what I was doing??? and it stopped falling out:eek:---I couldn't even find any in the shower!!!!
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/

check your Tractor Supply also---been told they carry it.

Hope this helps.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that free range chickens will keep tick populations way down ... not sure about fleas. I cant recall if the chickens ate fleas or not -- if so.... FREE FEED! :D
Thanks Ant,we free range the chic's but not where the dogs poop.Dogs are fenced away from the chickens so the chickens.Also the dogs eat the chic poop.Our dogs hate large flying birds especially owls ,since the owls killed our 18lb. 14 yr.old cat.:eek:.A coupel years ago a hawk got 2 chic's.So now they go nuts if these birds fly over.My old hound dog has always loved chickens.She tught the other 2 not to go near the chickens or chase them.She attacks them if they even run near them.

I am having flea problems now and need advice on what natural remedy we can use.I don't want to use chemicles that kill off my good insects.I have never had a problem with insects in my garden,no chemcles on this property in 60 yr.s.Last time anyone lived here was 1952.We been here 13 yr.s.
We did use seven dust around dog houses and sleeping arers for fleas,now EPA has banned it because it works.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have diatomaceous earth (DE)...I put it in my buckets of food for insect control...I've read several places online tells one to liquify the powder, spray it and it will control pests around the garden.

And, yes, it is food grade, and I take it every morning---my hair grew tremendously fast in just 3 months(the girl that cuts my hair wouldn't shut up about my growth)---my neighbor asked what I was doing??? and it stopped falling out:eek:---I couldn't even find any in the shower!!!!

Hope this helps.
Thanks,we used DE yesterday around parts of yard and where dogs lay.I did'nt know if it works or not on fleas,so glad you came on.I try to protect the good insects but this is an flea emergency.:wave:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks,we used DE yesterday around parts of yard and where dogs lay.I did'nt know if it works or not on fleas,so glad you came on.I try to protect the good insects but this is an flea emergency.:wave:
Well, silking corn today has reintroduced me to some of the bad insects--flies galore...and for my covered porch, that's odd.

I will also try DE next time I have those ants in the spring months.
I think what I read most insects can't live around DE. And it's safe for your pets---it's recommended for them for parasites. Good luck.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
You mentioned you can't get Sevin Dust because EPA banned it???

I just bought some at the local Home Depot a couple weeks ago.

An online search shows several retailers selling it.

Here's one I found in a quick search (to make sure it was the 10%, not the 5%)
Houtzdale Hardware

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Meerkat...........ya got flea problems? No problemo.

Have a flea market! :D:ignore:

I Know. I know. My DW says I'm :nuts:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to try DE, but how on earth is it pronounced?
Got to be able to say it to ask for it. :D
LOL,I know and I even forgot how its pronounced and I took hort.:eek:But it was'nt talked about that much in science,plant identification or nursery producion.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mentioned you can't get Sevin Dust because EPA banned it???

I just bought some at the local Home Depot a couple weeks ago.

An online search shows several retailers selling it.

Here's one I found in a quick search (to make sure it was the 10%, not the 5%)
Houtzdale Hardware
We called 4 local hardware stores,but will see if we can find it.Wonder what the shipping cost would be on that site?Thanks a lot for info,all help is welcomed.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I would like to try DE, but how on earth is it pronounced?
Got to be able to say it to ask for it. :D
I had some severe flea problems on my dog and tried a lot of natural things that did not work but also didn't kill the dog. Finally started spraying the dog with Picaridin and also use it on myself as deet is an absolute poison!!!!! Picaridin is obviously not natural but works without killing and keeps ticks off as well. "Di ah two maishes earth" works well you have to use a lot and indoors is kinda tough as it is a dust.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL I wish I could market them but no buyers. :confused:
Well then Meerkat, maybe you should put them in your bugout bag! :ignore:

I'm gonna get kicked off this thread, aren't I? :( :D

OK. In a sincere effort to redeem myself, I must say we have had success with DE on our pup, but because I'm cautious of DE dust (per Rev) indoors, I dust her outside and let her stay out for a night and day if the weather is nice. Then, much to Condi's chagrin, I give her a good bath. :eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Backlash,
I'm not 100% sure but I think the pronunciation is dye-a-ta-may-sh-ous. If you can make sense of that. I'd be happy to have someone confirm that though.
Take care,
Moose

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the help.I now have a pan of water [it worked last time]beside me because either the little buggers are biting me or my imagination is over working itself.Of course the plates and pans of water don't work outside.:rolleyes:.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Thanks all for the help.I now have a pan of water [it worked last time]beside me because either the little buggers are biting me or my imagination is over working itself.Of course the plates and pans of water don't work outside.:rolleyes:.
I did the plate with water and a drop of dish soap at night with a light focused on the plate. Killed a couple of flees per night

·
Registered
510 Posts
if ya got 'em inside, just go to the store and git ya some Borax 20 mule team laundry booster...sprinkle it all around and let it work for a couple of days, then vacuum....you'll be surprised. plus yer carpets will be brighter..:beercheer:

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts

Hope this helps.
that is what we use for our two cats and dog. it does work. and you can add it to their food as well to keep worms down in their systems too.
I got a 5 lb jug of it on amazon.com for like 8 bucks about 6months ago.
it really works.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I beleive it is 10% sevin that has been banned. You can still find the 5% in the stores. It is my understanding the warehouses are full of 10% but it cannot be sold until it is placed in childproof containers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts