Hello from the suburbs of Chicago

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Elinor0987, May 28, 2010.

1. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

Hello everyone. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and it would absolutely be one of the worst places to live in the event of a major disaster, be it natural or man made. I've really only just begun storing food and there's still a lot more I need to do to prepare. I'd like to buy an affordable house with a yard big enough to put a garden in. Of course I would need to make the home secure from intruders and have enough supplies stored to last at least six months. If a disaster were to happen here right now, the only hope for survival in this crime-infested city would be to barricade myself in my apartment and wait everything out.

From the few posts I've already read, I've noticed there's a lot to be learned from the members here. I can't think of anything significant to contribute yet, except that it would be a good idea to include items like board games and reading books with your supplies to keep yourself and others occupied during extended periods of no electrical supply. This is especially true if you have children that get bored easily. I don't have any kids but I do have a lot of nieces and nephews and it's always good to keep them busy.

One more thing- if you happen to have a pine tree (the ones with the long and skinny needles) growing near you, the green needles are edible and rich in vitamin C. Sailors used to chew on them many years ago when they reached shore to curb the effects of scurvy. Some people even today mince them and make teas out of them. Ok that's all I can think of at the moment. Sorry about the long post, but I have a lot to think about and I hope to be able to continue coming here. Take care.

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:Elinor0987 from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts. And yes you are correct about the pine needles.

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome! You've started off with a bang here...good, useful information! Thanks. Sounds like you've devoted time to thinking about these things!

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I don't know if you have Buckley's Cough Syrup available near you, but, the basis of Buckley's is pine, so, there are more things that pine is good for!

You may want to check out a thread in the Recipe section about cooking in a small apartment with some more ideas for preparing your food and / or storing water.

:welcome:

5. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:welcome: Hi to Ya! I am learning my self. Great stuff here and good people.
    I know its hard to pick up roots, but have you ever considered moving out of the city?

6. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

Hello Littlebit. First off I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. To answer your question, I have thought about moving many times but unfortunately can't due to finances. I live with my boyfriend and can't afford a place on my own. He can't move too far away from here because he doesn't have a driver's license. He lost it years ago due to a series of DUI's. There are better neighborhoods in this city and eventually I hope to be able to buy a cheap house in one of them, get it paid off as quickly as possible, and in turn lower my cost of living. I'm also looking for a part time job to go along with the full time job I have to speed up the process. The only reoccuring bills that I will be responsible for after that are utility bills, property taxes, food, gas, and whatever I charge on my secured credit card ($200 limit). The only way that I'm going to get out of the mess that I'm in is to work my way out of it.

I'm fixated on getting a house because this apartment is very small and won't hold a lot of stored supplies. In addition, we can't grow a garden outside so we wouldn't have anything to eat once the supplies run out. You can only ration food so much and eventually the shelves will get empty. Gardens are a renewable source of food and well worth the investment of resources into it. If I can't get a house then I'll just cram as much stuff in here and try to be as self-sufficient as I possibly can in an emergency situation.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

Elinor0987-I hear Ya! Wish you all the best. Sounds like you have a plan.:)

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welome Elinor. Your eyes are open. That's a big step right there. :wave:

10. bjason79

bjason79 Member

Welcome

I myself had to move out of the city from mckinely park to tinley park, was well worth. Best of luck

11. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Elinor;
    :welcome: from the near north suburbs of the Daley Gulag.
    Although you are in a metro area, there are some good areas not too far from you. Can you drive? If so you might want to check out the area around Sugar Grove or Plano. Much safer areas than metro Aurora.

Regarding foodstuffs in the mean time, start studying what wild plants in your area are edible. Many of the "weeds" you see growing and free for the taking are nutritious and, (after getting used to the taste) are palatable. A couple of examples are acorns, (properly prepared, in their raw state the tannic acid makes them bitter at best), Amaranth, (common pigweed), Plantain, Dandelion, Elderberry, Chicory, Sunflowers, Jerusalem Artichokes, Cattails and wild grapes, just to name a few. Check out your local library, (a good source of free information), and see if they have or can get any of the old Euell Gibbons books, (Stalking the Wild Asparagus; Stalking the Blue Eyed Sea Scallop) or any of the Fox Fire series.

Just one final thought; Prepping is much like eating an elephant... if you try to swallow it all at once you'll choke. It must be digested one small bite at a time.:D