Hello from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by katfish, Jan 28, 2010.

1. katfish

katfish Active Member

I'm 35 and married. We have a 2 yr old daughter and another kid on the way now. Before I had a family my thoughts on prepping were "I can kill a squirrel and build a fire, I'm OK." Now I'm putting a little more thought into it. My main interests are the so-called primitive skills our Great Grandparents used. I got caught up in wanting all the neat camping gadgets and this and that but I'm trying to simplify that again (and just life in general too). My wife kept us stocked up with several months of food before we started prepping just incase we got hhurt and couldn't work or what ever may have happened but I really want to learn my wild foods and how to prepare them better, my gardening skills aren't that great anyway. As for hobbies and things like that, I like bird watching, bumming around out in the woods and rusty old jeeps. Thanks for sharing your info and wisdom with me.

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:katfish from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

3. pills

pills Well-Known Member

Welcome from NE Oklahoma. Hope you stay with power and safe.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome.:welcome:

I also like the primitive skills - Ever check out the Foxfire book? Very cool - if you like stuff like that.:D

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I love that series, have up to #7, I bought the first one in 1972 for $3.95.

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

It is a great series on primitive skills ... I have them all but the last one, I need to get it.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Those are good books-I have a few myself.

Katfish-you and I are about in the same situation. I'll be 34 in a couple weeks, I'm married with an 18 month old. No more on the way, though. One and done. :) We live on a farm in PA. Welcome to the forum and don't be shy.

9. katfish

katfish Active Member

We sure did, hope you did too. We're over in Mayes co. and it was just standard winter weather here and we have wood heat and all so it's not that big of a deal anyway. I work for ODOT so they've been keeping me busy all night but it's and when its gone there will be plenty of mud to play in.

10. pills

pills Well-Known Member

We have had the power flicker but no outage. Several of my friends are without power still and many more have had it of an on.

Be safe out there.

11. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome

Welcome to the group.

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Fox Fire is great, Check out Back Woodsman also. They have lots of how toos for the 21st. century back woodsman. The Log Cabin Store had all of the Fox Fire Series when I was in there last week. Sail

13. katfish

katfish Active Member

I've picked up the Backwoodsman off and on for awhile and really enjoy. My Mom got several of their "Best of's" for me for Christmas and that's given me all sorts of projects to do while I wait on spring (but we might wind up with more gourd canteens than we really need). They pack alot of info into those and I think they are worth the money if you haven't seen them already.