Hello from Northeast Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BillS, May 30, 2011.

1. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I'm new to this site. I've been concerned about the economy for some time. This week we'll be borrowing money from a 401k. I want to put half into gold and half into food, water, and other supplies.
    I plan on having at least a gallon of water per person for a year. I came up with a simple design using concrete blocks and 4'x8' sheets of plywood. I should be able to store at least 96 gallons per layer.
    We have a wood fire place but I'm concerned that in the event of a total societal meltdown that wood smoke would just alert other people that we have heat and possibly food.
    We're going to get some portable kerosene heaters, a couple of portable kerosene cooking stoves, and about 200 gallons of kerosene. I think gasoline is going to go up rapidly so now is the time to stock up if I can buy it this time of year.
    I've also been thinking about personal protection. I found a site that suggests a 20 gauge shotgun rather than a pistol. The theory being that you need multiple shots from a pistol to incapacitate an intruder.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :wave: sounds like your off to a good start.

3. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

Honey, there are wood stoves that burn their own smoke. A Vermont Castings for one.. so there will be no smoke trail and they are HIGHLY efficient at heating even the largest of spaces We had a 2000'+ home and the Vermont Casting "Defiant" heated it all in the coldest of times.. I'm talking about a time when we had 3 weeks below 0 and even at -10F.

For water - we are buying 4 - 300 gallon tanks, setting them under the house and using an rv 'on demand' type water pump that runs on batteries charged by 1 solar panel, to move that water into the existing pipes, moving the pump as one tank empties, into another. Then we will refill the empty tank with downspouts from the gutters, filtered and sterilized with pool "shock". Outside during warmer months we will mount 15 gallon water tanks outside the bathroom windows, refill them from the gutters and using that water to shower and flush toilets by attaching them to a pipe/hose that runs through the wall into the tub, that can be closed and moved across the bathroom to the toilet. Winter months we will make other arrangements

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome! :wave:

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, a bit farther south of you. My sister still lives in Fond du Lac.

Sounds like you're putting serious thought to your preps. Keep up the good work.

:)

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us.

7. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll do that. I'm sure I have a lot to learn from you guys too.

8. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

That's great. It sounds like you're in good shape.

9. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

Welcome from Alaska.

10. ThePrepDerp

ThePrepDerp ExCommunicated

I'm In central Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Survival Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  11. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

12. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

I think Bill is a good member but why are we welcoming him three years later? :)

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. :cheers:

14. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

I was assuming its a different bills

15. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

I used to date a girl in Stevens Point :D

16. ThePrepDerp

ThePrepDerp ExCommunicated

I live right next to Stevens point :)