Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site. I've been concerned about the economy for some time. This week we'll be borrowing money from a 401k. I want to put half into gold and half into food, water, and other supplies.
I plan on having at least a gallon of water per person for a year. I came up with a simple design using concrete blocks and 4'x8' sheets of plywood. I should be able to store at least 96 gallons per layer.
We have a wood fire place but I'm concerned that in the event of a total societal meltdown that wood smoke would just alert other people that we have heat and possibly food.
We're going to get some portable kerosene heaters, a couple of portable kerosene cooking stoves, and about 200 gallons of kerosene. I think gasoline is going to go up rapidly so now is the time to stock up if I can buy it this time of year.
I've also been thinking about personal protection. I found a site that suggests a 20 gauge shotgun rather than a pistol. The theory being that you need multiple shots from a pistol to incapacitate an intruder.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave: sounds like your off to a good start.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honey, there are wood stoves that burn their own smoke. A Vermont Castings for one.. so there will be no smoke trail and they are HIGHLY efficient at heating even the largest of spaces We had a 2000'+ home and the Vermont Casting "Defiant" heated it all in the coldest of times.. I'm talking about a time when we had 3 weeks below 0 and even at -10F.

For water - we are buying 4 - 300 gallon tanks, setting them under the house and using an rv 'on demand' type water pump that runs on batteries charged by 1 solar panel, to move that water into the existing pipes, moving the pump as one tank empties, into another. Then we will refill the empty tank with downspouts from the gutters, filtered and sterilized with pool "shock". Outside during warmer months we will mount 15 gallon water tanks outside the bathroom windows, refill them from the gutters and using that water to shower and flush toilets by attaching them to a pipe/hose that runs through the wall into the tub, that can be closed and moved across the bathroom to the toilet. Winter months we will make other arrangements

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, a bit farther south of you. My sister still lives in Fond du Lac.

Sounds like you're putting serious thought to your preps. Keep up the good work.

:)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honey, there are wood stoves that burn their own smoke. A Vermont Castings for one.. so there will be no smoke trail and they are HIGHLY efficient at heating even the largest of spaces We had a 2000'+ home and the Vermont Casting "Defiant" heated it all in the coldest of times.. I'm talking about a time when we had 3 weeks below 0 and even at -10F.

For water - we are buying 4 - 300 gallon tanks, setting them under the house and using an rv 'on demand' type water pump that runs on batteries charged by 1 solar panel, to move that water into the existing pipes, moving the pump as one tank empties, into another. Then we will refill the empty tank with downspouts from the gutters, filtered and sterilized with pool "shock". Outside during warmer months we will mount 15 gallon water tanks outside the bathroom windows, refill them from the gutters and using that water to shower and flush toilets by attaching them to a pipe/hose that runs through the wall into the tub, that can be closed and moved across the bathroom to the toilet. Winter months we will make other arrangements
That's great. It sounds like you're in good shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.