Hello from Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Journey, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Hi. My spouse and I currently live in Southern Ontario and rely on disability, which some less than favourable comments scared me off for a while (shame on us for buying chicken) and I didn't want to post. However, I have been lurking for quite some time and, ignoring those comments, there is a wealth of information here that I really appreciate people sharing. While we do okay living within our means, even a blip like a power outage for a couple of days could have us in a lot of hurt, with no way to purchase more food until the next month's assistance came through. And what if it was held up by a couple of weeks, or plain just didn't come anymore. :dunno:

So while we don't particularly fit in by having to rely on government support, please keep in mind we are human too, and I share a lot of the same concerns and fears as many of you. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, at this point in time, preparing for things like power outages, winter storms, etc is where we are at. I was particularly drawn in by the meat canning thread. I also started putting together an EDC which is mostly due to health issues and not having a vehicle. Bugging out really isn't even an option with our situation, though, without hoping someone might come and get us. However, I'd still like to learn related skills.

I'm drawn to homesteading as well. If we had a place all set up right and carefully planned for our limitations, we could do it, and who knows down the road. If the opportunity should arise I'd like to be prepared.

Anyway, that's me. :wave:

2. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Welcome, there's lots to learn here. Even people with physical limitations have something to offer. Glad to hear you're doing what you can. Every bit helps. Good Luck!

3. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Greetings, Eh! Wecome to the forum.

4. Hopetobeready

Hopetobeready Member

Hello from Tennessee. My husband is totally bedridden and has been for three years, so "bugging out" is not an option for us either. We live in a double-wide and if there is a tornado warning up we just have to hope for the best. Charlie retired from AT&T in 1985 for health concerns and as management they offered us bail-out money. We are dependent on SS and a small pension, so gathering survival products is also a challenge for us. Storage space is also a concern. There is another good site - beprepared.com that has a lot of great info. During my prayer time at night, there is an opportunity for me to ask God's blessing on people I have come in contact that need a "little extra" help.
    Don't know your name, but your just being interested in the same thing makes you a friend.

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :wave:

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks for posting!

:welcome:

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us. You never know what the future holds and information on how to be prepared for someone with a disability could be useful. If I am ever able to get my shelter built I will have it wheelchair accessable. As we age we have no way of knowing how long all our parts will hold out.

8. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Aww, thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I don't have much knowledge to share, but am eager to learn. :)

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

It isn't that some people are disabled and receive disability payments that tends to bother people. It's that most of us know someone (or more) abusing the system to get payments they don't qualify for.

Most people I know who DO qualify would trade that money in a heartbeat to have their health back!

:)

10. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Oh of course.... it does often seem even to us that the vast majority of people are abusing the system. Some even brag about it. :( We've had to deal with enough of these people as well. Then of course with that happening comments tend to get posted as though all people on some kind of government financial support are that way and don't deserve this, that and the other. Ah well.