Hello from Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GailP, Nov 5, 2010.

1. GailP

GailP Member

Hi all,

Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning some new things.

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Welcome to the forum!!

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

4. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

:)

6. GailP

GailP Member

I really don't know that much! But I'm learning!

7. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Welcome another Canuck ....
    I'm new and learned soo much already keep with it ...
    RR

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You probably already know more than you think you do. What we have here is a way to remind you of things that you may have not considered as part of being prepared.

9. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Welcome , you came here and posted , see you are learning already:cool:

10. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:GailP from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

11. GailP

GailP Member

Thanks all! I am really looking forward to sharing info and such. It seems like a friendly group here. I'm taking a step, I'm learning how to can at the end of the month. Should be an adventure! I want to get a decent dehydator in a couple of months as well.

12. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, it is good to have more like minded people with which to share knowledge.

13. Another Oilbertan

Howdy :canflag::peep: Started prepping at about 6 yrs old, military brat, regularly scheduled drills on CF bases, hey Jack whens the next unexpected disaster drill planed for this month.. oh 5th ok..:2thumb: I think the Bay of Pigs was the turning point for mandatory survival supplies and nuclear attack drills..long time ago. We were campers too, so getting ready bug out to the lake was quickly and efficiently done..:0) Learned to resent authority in Wolf Cubs..:club: really got to hate it in Boy Scouts. :) Became violent towards officers in Air Cadets :shtf: just a natural survivor :2thumb:
    Sooo bring it aaalready I'm gonna croak before the fun starts..:gaah:
    Well since I'm here now..:beercheer: Cheers !
    Ah no..started prepping long before that on base..50's..I was on coal bin duty and keep the fires burning all winter.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  14. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

Hello from another fellow Albertan. Nice to see more of us on here :)

15. SaskDame

SaskDame Well-Known Member

Hello, finally getting to be a collection of Prairie people here.

I like dehydrated better than canned. I does not trash it when it gets frozen, and way easier to move around.

16. Hello from Alberta

Howdy ..thanks..still not too many Albertan prepping..Lots of the preppersite.com for USA and all provinces..seems the same folks posting..some good stuff there..not many updates if any at all from what I see lately..definitely a good idea to dehydrate what can be..apart from preserves or jams.. even juices.. storage..OMG..just had a flash memory of the WINES i have made..:0)
    pretty simple to create dried meat..run good solid butcher string across a ceiling and cut pieces jerky style..run the strings through and reattach string end to hooks or nails..about 6 inches from ceiling separate jerky by an inch for good drying..I leave it for a few days to a week then brown bag it. Keep dry..spread a little pepper on it keep flies mostly off..:0) rehydrate over night even longer..I have had some that was barely edible no matter how long boiled or soaked..and granny got no teeth..:0)
    bigger fist sized pieces take longer and seem to rehydrate better..chunky roasts.
    canning jars are heavy.. but a few boxes for variety is always nice..same for fish.. love that dry fish dipped in bear fat or butter..:0) eat the left over bear fat crisps after rendering too..Injun pop corn..lil season salt..:0) I don't smoke the meats much..small amounts for treats..too much smoked meat or brined isn't too good for us..dry berries on screens hung from ceiling too..fruit..sliced thin..cover with cheese cloth..
    during winter a lot of meat just tossed onto roof under tarp will stay frozen for later use..north side..
    Ah ya..well..guess i should shut my cake hole now :0) peace out..:2thumb:

17. AH geez..sorry..Im gettin blind..Ill try 3 next time..:0)

18. Ok good bye from Oilburka, headin home in a few days. Got things to do for the trip. No internet so likely not be around any more, too busy doin rather than talkin about doin. The talkin was a release from the never ending longin to be doin. A rented space in some one elses trees was ok, but noting like ones own forest and sweet soils. Good luck out there. Hope ya never need it.:)
    My supplies were real handy during the times I did get out to the camp, and now even more handy getting ready for the trip. They paid some hefty bills when the money starts goin out before the monthly pensions comin in worked great.
    peace out.