Hello for NE PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Willow, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Willow

Willow Member

I've been a prepper since 1999 but only got really serious about it in the last couple of years. Hubby and I have a hobby farm where we have an assortment of critters, some as pets and others for food production. We are working slowly towards some degree of self sufficiency and now raise our own beef, lamb and goat. We will be milking goats in the spring. We also have a flock of chickens and have put in a pond and stocked it with cat fish. We now have a back up solar system that will make life much easier in any extended power outage. But we aren't fooled. We know we have a very long way to go to be totally self sufficient and we are hoping this forum will help us go in that direction

We are both retired...hubby from the construction industry and me from the animal industry. I raised dogs for show and performance for many years and also do counseling on animal behavior issues. We are hoping the combination of our skills will serve us well in prepping for whatever comes our way in the future.

And last, we are really hoping to find people who currently use horses for work on the farm. While we aren't getting into draft horses, we do have a small herd of stout little mini horses that, if used in two pony teams, should be able to provide a lot of work possibilities for the farm. Anyone out there with experience in this area? I've had horses almost all my life but never used them for driving or working.

Looking forward to learning more about prepping and also enjoying good conversation on this forum.

Willow

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello and Welcome!

We have worked our farm with horses for years. Drafters (belgian) for the most part but my haflinger/paint pony can hold her own against the 'big girls'. :D

4. Willow

Willow Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Andi, what do you think of my mini idea? I don't want to use them to actually farm. More for hauling wood for the house and manure out of the barn.

Willow

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have known some people that use goats and dogs to pull carts and such around their farm, so I would put a true mini in that area ... Start them out very light and work from there.

I would say finding the harness would be the hard part ...

6. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Welcome to the forum!

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

8. Willow

Willow Member

They are stocky "B" minis. Those are the bigger minis that are registerable with the AMHR which is an arm of the Shetland Pony registry. I started out thinking I wanted the tiny guys but quickly learned they really are just pasture ornaments. Cute, but hardly even a child's pony. So my guys are all around 36"...small but the largest you can get for minis. They are also not delicate in the 'mini' sense. They are more fefined than the average old type Shetland but have a lot more substance than the show mini.

I have done some research into harnesses and found several harness making buisnesses that have harness and collar for minis. So there must be some sort of demand for the little work guys. I haven't contacted any of them yet as I want to work with the ponies for a while before I take on that expense.

Willow

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:2thumb:

Sounds like you have a plan ... :D

We had a old type Shetland growing up ... he was great, we could ride him or put our cart behind him. :D (dang that was a looooong time ago. :eek:

10. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum!

11. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:Willow from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Willow-welcome from another PA resident. I'm in the SW corner, below Pittsburgh.

13. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us.

14. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Greetings from a SW Pennsylvanian! Welcome to the forum!:welcome:

15. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I'm from Jersey, but I stayed at Seven Springs a couple times. I was probably pretty to you. It's beautiful country over there. Reminds me of NC, Tenn area.