Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Amy and I am new to the concept of homesteading, as well as new to the internet world of "blogging". Seriously. My previous line of work was dealing with security issues of a sort, so I always stayed away from the internet and blogging, etc (just a very private person). So, please forgive me if I do not know all of the terms or protocols of chat. I am starting a homestead with my Hubfriend (we are not legally married but are way more that just partners, so he is affectionately called my Hubfriend) and our two children. Mike and I are both disabled Veterans, with severe PTSD so I did my homework and found a place where we could be as self-reliant as possible. It is not my intention to hide away from the world (I have been doing that well enough for the last 10 years!) so I have the attitude that I am not going to the mountains to hide, I am going there to live.
I am trying to be as honest and open as possible, but am still wary of the internet! It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you!! :D
I did not realize that putting my website here was a spam thing. Sorry. I am glad it was explained! I just want people that I can connect with and share the experience with. People who are actually DOING this and who can help me (and if I can help with something, then I will do the same). I know the direction this world is going in, and I firmly believe that we had better be prepared because it WILL hit the fan. I am very familiar with current events, etc but I am not really wanting to get into all of that. I just want to share and learn and work together to ensure we have some type of support system and network. I saw a couple of people in the WA/ID border and that is exactly where I am going. I am hoping to get to know them. Personal note, I am a non-drinking, non-drugging, non-smoking type who really just wants to learn all I can about as much as I can on growing food, taking care of animals, providing sustainable heat/utilities, etc. It is a life journey for me, and part of that is teaching my children as much as I possibly can, to include all of the technical stuff of today.
So, I am glad to have found this website (I am almost POSITIVE I signed into this a couple of days ago under a different name, but I cant remember... problem with PTSD is the memory gets shot) and I hope I can contribute as well as learn. Please give me suggestions and constructive criticism reagarding all aspects of what I post!
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

I am glad I am in this forum. I dont know about others, but I have a ton of questions. I want to know what others are doing to maintain self-sufficiency. I would like to think of my self as pretty level headed, but the idea (imho) is that we are here to prepare for survival. Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that the best way to do that is to be off the grid completely and the only way to do that is to figure out exactly how to live that way. We are preparing NOW because I really do not want to be one of those types standing in the bread line. I have my organic seeds and I have the books to figure out how to harvest more seeds, etc. but I have ALOT to learn about gardening. I want to learn as much as I can now so when shtf I will actually be prepared and living self-sufficiently. My neighbors will likely be a key help in this- a small group of homesteaders can do more than one person alone. This is why I am here.. trying to find like minded people who want to share ideas. when shtf it will be nice to know where the smart ones are ;)

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome! You have good plans, to learn this stuff NOW, and not later when your life depends on it!

Best wishes!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am glad I finally get to live it!

I have been watching our society hang on by a thread for so long now, and in my personal judgement we have been pushed over the edge. The problem is that it is such a smooth fall that some people do not realize that we are falling! Its like the Titantic. I wont go into any of that stuff here (dont want to wear out my welcome :p ) but I do want ot just concur with all of those here who do believe that now is the time to be DOING it. If you are just visiting the site, or trolling around and learning about it, NOW is the time to be putting your plan in action. I have been learning for years about what needs to be done in the event our society crumbles, now I am bugging out and getting it done! In my honest opinion, we have about another year before people realize we are 2 feet away from hitting the ground at 100 miles per hour. That is not a whole lot of time! Now I am in action mode. Or, more like panic mode :eek: Just kidding.. just doing the checklist... home, fence, horse, goat, chickens, hand equipment for grdening, tilling, firewood, wood stoves for cooking, generators with a solar back-up (is that even possible?? I still dont have the whole solar thing down- not there yet). Sustainable seeds, etc.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
just doing the checklist... home, fence, horse, goat, chickens, hand equipment for grdening, tilling, firewood, wood stoves for cooking, generators with a solar back-up (is that even possible?? I still dont have the whole solar thing down- not there yet). Sustainable seeds, etc.
Put the solar in front of the generator and you will be right. Setup solar with back-up wind-generator and then have a gas (propane, diesel) electric generator ..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put the solar in front of the generator and you will be right. Setup solar with back-up wind-generator and then have a gas (propane, diesel) electric generator ..
We have to have a gas generator where we live because we lose power in the winter. If I could find a way to get away from that tho it would be great. I think that will be a project for next summer, and I can order parts in the meantime.
Maybe I will end up doing what they do in the Arizona tent city prison... hook up a bicycle to a generator and if the kids want to watch tv they have to pedal and watch. :D Just kidding. But I guess if all else failed, we could hook up a manual cranked generator to battery packs and store energy that way. Or am I mistaken? I am not the brightest bulb (pun intended) when it comes to that sparky stuff.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
We have to have a gas generator where we live because we lose power in the winter. If I could find a way to get away from that tho it would be great. I think that will be a project for next summer, and I can order parts in the meantime.
Maybe I will end up doing what they do in the Arizona tent city prison... hook up a bicycle to a generator and if the kids want to watch tv they have to pedal and watch. :D Just kidding. But I guess if all else failed, we could hook up a manual cranked generator to battery packs and store energy that way. Or am I mistaken? I am not the brightest bulb (pun intended) when it comes to that sparky stuff.
GypsySue and MosquitoMountainMan both live right near you. They are grid-free'd, living primarily on solar generated power. I live just north of you and I am on my way to living on solar-power as my primary power-source.

During the day, a solar panel will put power into a battery for use during the night. Excess-power during the day becomes just that, excess, which is wasted. Doing your "high-energy-consumption" during the day, you will use only the power from the panels and doing your "low-energy-consumption" during the night will conserve power.

By mixing your power generating ability between a primary-source (sun) with a secondary source (wind), you will still be able to create energy for the batteries. If, for some reason there isn't any sun for weeks and no wind for weeks, then, the fall-back would be to a gas generator, but, primarily to recharge the batteries, then, to run the household.

But - more of this kind of talk can be discussed in more detail in the Alternative Energy-section.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am glad you guys are here!!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you guys for having this forum. I do believe that the way society will recover from its current mess is by small groups of people like us who are willing to strive for self-sufficiency and also willing to share that knowledge with others. The more other people prepare, the less we will have to deal with when SHTF!! :thankyou:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome aboard!:wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.