Hello All, I'm from Indiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by csbutler2109, Jan 6, 2010.

1. csbutler2109

csbutler2109 Member

I am scared to death!!! I wish I had started preparing years ago. Anyway, no time like the present. So far, I've convinced my husband to let me take our tax refund this year and buy Preparedness items. Freeze Dried and Dehydrated foods (I would appreciate incite on cites to buy from) - so far I've looked at the websites of Emergency Essentials, Mountain House, and Be Prepared. I am looking at trying to get a water bladder tank to store in our basement and we also have a well. We have three firearms which I know nothing about, we inherited them. We only leave limited money in the banks and purchase what we need with cash. We have started buying small quantities of buillion. I don't really know what else to do. Oh, I've acuired maps of our state highway and railway systems. I was thinking that, if need be, our family can walk here if auto transpo is out of the question. I also noticed the quiger counter (I need purchase info. on that as well). I have bought basic med supplies and sheltering supplies. Also, could someone tell me how to get a ham radio, I think that's what its called. Are rechargeable batteries better that the normal batteries? As I said, I am just starting, so I need all the help I can get. By the way, can someone tell me what tags are on this site?

Thank you all So Much

Chris

2. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Hi!

:welcome:

Hi and welcome! I hope you have a chance to look at some of the older posts. There's a lot of information in them.

If I may, I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions. Try to look at preparedness as additional insurance for your family. Look at possible emergency scenarios for your location/situation, prioritize your needs, see what you already have around the house. I wouldn't buy a year's supply of food or supplies that I haven't already tasted or tested.

A tax refund CAN go a long way towards helping you prepare for emergencies if you take your time and pick the supplies you and your family will use. Learning self-reliant skills will help also. Looking forward to your posts.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

As LW said, don't race out and start buying before you analyze your overall situation and do some research. Take a week or so and read through the material here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people and a mountain of useful information. Keep in mind; just the fact that you see the need, is the biggest step you can take. :)

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:csbulter2109, from a long time preparer. Take a deep breath first, preparedness as Unclejoe and Lake Windsong said is a long term commitment, take your time and think it through, read the older posts here, I'm sure most of your questions will be answered and if not just ask. Good luck, the prepared will prevail.

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome. :wave:

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Prepared Society!

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If I may make the same recommendation to you as I have made to others, baby-steps will help you get where you are wanting to go. Lots of great people here on the board to help you work your way to being prepared and help you become comfortable with the lifestyle that you are wanting to choose.

8. csbutler2109

csbutler2109 Member

Thank you. I'm am definitely at the baby step stage.

9. csbutler2109

csbutler2109 Member

Thank you and I will start taste testing the different foods. I feel a little overwhelmed. I will read the older post to try to gain knowledge before going full steam ahead. Thanks

10. csbutler2109

csbutler2109 Member

Thanks and I'll your advice.

11. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard from round on both ends and HI in the middle. Definately look at the older threads lots of your questions will be answered. Ask questions when you have them. Sail

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome to the forum. Take your time and stop for a breath now and then. There are lots of new preppers here, myself among them. Rushing into anything is a bad start. Take your time, analyze your situation, and you'll be just fine.

13. armchair

armchair Member

Sounds like you're off to a good start...Welcome aboard

14. Shopsurvivalkits

Shopsurvivalkits Member

Welcome to the board I am from Indiana also