Heavy Hitter Okra

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by SouthCentralUS, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update!! :)

2. heavyhitterokra

heavyhitterokra Member

Thank you, to my fellow preppers and to everyone else, who has been so diligent in getting Heavy Hitter Okra established over the years. It is currently growing in 26 of our 50 States. It is also being grown in 12 other Countries.

Back in the Spring of 2018, I donated several Heavy Hitter Okra seeds to Oklahoma State University, (at their request), to be used in a variety of raised bed, garden mulch trials. They planted several different vegetable types in a garden mulch trial to determine which method worked best. There were three methods used:

(a). Plasticulture Mulch
    (b). Paper Mulch
    (c). Bare Soil

I couldn't copy their report, so I'm posting a link to it here:

www.hortla.okstate.edu/research-extension-youth/vegetables/pdfs/18vegreport.pdf

If you'll scroll to page 34 of the report you'll see the Okra trial results listed there.

According to this OSU Gardening Report, Heavy Hitter Okra grew significantly better using black plastic mulch than it did while using paper mulch or while using bare soil.

According to the OSU report, while using black Plasticulture Mulch, Heavy Hitter Okra produced 529 bushels of marketable okra per acre, or 581 bushels of edible okra per acre, (including culls). At 30 pounds of okra per bushel, that was roughly 15,870 pounds of Marketable okra per acre and roughly 17,430 pounds of edible okra per acre, (including culls). Culls are misshapen, crooked pods, usually due to damage caused by insects.

According to a 1972 Victoria Seed Company trial, the old, original Clemson Spineless Okra had a potential of producing 5,000 kg per acre or about 11,000 pounds per acre. At 30 pounds per bushel that was about 367 bushels of okra per acre. At 2.2 pounds per kg, that is roughly 11,000 pounds of okra per acre. According to their claims, Clemson Spineless Okra had a potential of producing 10 pods per plant on average.

Due to improvements in branching capability, and heavier production, Heavy Hitter Okra plants now produce an average of 10 pods per branch. (The Heavy Hitter standard is to save no seeds from any plant producing less than 100 pods).

That means the Heavy Hitter Okra Strain developed from the old Clemson Spineless variety has a potential of producing about 200 bushels per acre more than the original Clemson Spineless Okra.

All I did was select seeds from my very best plant each year (Much the same as you would select only your best calves for breeding a better herd of cattle). Actually, I did very little. God did all of the developing. All I did was notice which plants were better and chose only those plants for seed saving.

I am forwarding this information to you, in hope that you will take heart in the fact that one person, working alone, with the Lord's guidance can make a real difference, even while using a previously improved variety, such as 'Clemson Spineless' as their 'starter' seed stock.

We'll never be able to recreate what God provided for Adam, but I do believe all those traits mentioned above, were there in the original 'Garden of Eden Seed Stock' or else how would we, as ordinary gardeners, be able to draw those traits out in our supposedly, "improved" varieties?

The development of this Heavy Hitter Okra strain now makes it possible for home gardeners and homesteaders alike to grow more produce per plant than if they were using Clemson Spineless. This improvement allows gardeners to make the very best use of their valuable garden space.

Below, is a copy of Victoria Seed Company's Field Report on the original Clemson Spineless Okra that they sold from their seed catalog back in 1972.

Okra Clemson Spineless
    The Best of the Best

Vegetable Seed Clemson Spineless

Planting Guide
    Spacing: 25cm x 60 cm(1seed per hole) or 60 cm x 90 cm(2 seeds per hole)
    Seed rate: 3,000 grams per acre direct seeding or 1600 grams per acre transplant

Maturity: 60 days
    Yield potential: 5,000 kg/acre or 11,000 lbs/acre.

Key attributes
     Pods are tapered, ridged and spineless (without hairs).
     Rich green in color.
     Angular in shape.
     Pods are about 10 cm long.
     Produces on average 10 pods per plant.

Read more: http://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/15/heavy-hitter-okra#ixzz5dMVq7zFs

BlueZ likes this.

3. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

How cool is that!!! :)

4. heavyhitterokra

heavyhitterokra Member

Sorry, it has been so long since I've posted ... Thanks to my tech-savvy youngest son, you can now purchase Heavy Hitter Okra seeds at the new website he just finished setting up at https://www.drycreekfarmstore.com/ We've been out in the garden all weekend breaking over old, winter-killed, okra stalks and trying to get somewhat ready for Spring. We still have over 100 tomato cages and tomato vines to take out and stack over the fence. I did have 50 pounds of Austrian Winter Peas planted as a winter cover crop, but since deer completely destroyed all the seedlings, my garden is still just bare soil. If it ever dries up a bit, We'll try spreading a ton of chicken litter across the entire quarter-acre garden spot to see it the smell of it will deter the deer from killing my second attempt at growing a cover crop this winter. Best of luck to all of you. Happy gardening in 2020.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    BlueZ likes this.
  5. heavyhitterokra

heavyhitterokra Member

Attached Files:

6. kappydell

kappydell Well-Known Member

OVEN FRIED OKRA
    Easy and healthy. Now you can have your “fried” okra and eat it too!
    16 ounces, weight Bag Frozen Sliced Okra, Thawed
    1 teaspoon Cajun Or Creole Seasoning
    ½ teaspoons Garlic Salt
    1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
    Canola Oil Spray
    1 Gallon-size Zip Lock Bag
    This makes 7 1/2-cup sized servings.
    Preheat oven to 425 F. Turn the Ziplock bag inside out and spray it with canola oil spray, then turn the bag right-side out again. Pour the okra into the bag along with the Cajun seasoning and garlic salt. Seal bag and shake vigorously. Let it rest for 10 minutes so the juices extract from the okra.
    Add the cornmeal to the bag and shake it up again. Let it rest 10 more minutes. Give the bag one more good shake. Pour okra into a strainer or colander (place the colander over the sink or over a bowl) so the extra cornmeal will fall off. Spread the okra over a foil covered baking sheet and spread it out evenly. Spray okra with canola oil spray.
    Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven, flip okra over, lightly spray again and return to oven for 20 more minutes. And that’s it! Serve warm.
    Adapted from a recipe by The American Heart Association posted on family.com.

BlueZ likes this.