Heads up! Nasty computer bug from Drudge got me

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by horseman09, Jun 17, 2011.

1. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

This is not some stupid internet sham that warns about a computer virus that will destroy your computer, wipe your credit cards clean, burn out your toaster and shrivel your left gonad.

This is from me personally, Horseman.

Tuesday morning I was on Drudge when my AVG virus checker warned that it blocked a threat. When I asked it to "clean", my screen went black so I shut it down. I rebooted in safe mode to clear the infection with AVG, Malware, Spybot and C-Clean. None of them worked.

We have 5 computers here in the office so I shut them down also as a precaution. After talking to our IT guy, he said it was safe to reboot the others as long as there were no warnings but it took him almost 8 hours to clean and recover everything from the infected computer. The bug turned out to be a spyware program with a key logger component.:eek:

I'm not knocking Drudge, but since that site is a collection of news stories from different sources around the world, it is risky as I learned the hard way.
    I like Drudge, but since the bug burned right through my virus protection, I'm not going there again.

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning.

3. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

New 'mass-meshing' attack poisoning small-business websites - USATODAY.com

This and resulting links from here give some good info.

Basically a new round of nasty stuff. All you have to do is visit an infected site and you're screwed. Last count was upwards of 400,000 infected sites (according to Google) and these are mostly mid-level sites. No big names but not little tiny stuff either. I'm the IT Manager at my day job and we've had a rash of machines getting hit lately, all, I believe, attributable to this wave.

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Very seldom do I go to Drudge, but it's on favorites..just deleted it--thanks for the heads up.

5. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Culex, thanks for the link. I hope it isn't infected. :eek::lolsmash:

6. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

crap! now I gotta run a scan. but knowing my Kaspersky's it probably found it and got rid of it. But I'll do a scan to make sure

7. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

We have a really good IT guy and prior to downloading Microsoft Essintials I crashed 3 computers using 3 seperate virus softwares. I now have Micro on 2 computers and no problems! And it is FREE! I cannot express enough how you need to change now!

8. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

microsoft security essintials

9. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Drudge is my home page.
    I go there several times every day on 3 different computers all running AVG and there have been no warnings and no hits when scanning my systems.
    Maybe you picked it up from one of the sites linked from Drudge.

10. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I used to use AVG...

I didn't get computer Teh AIDS...

... I got computer EBOLA

I now use Avast, Outpost Firewall, Malwarebytes, Keyscrambler & WOT (Web Of Trust)... aahhh, the price of 'free' intREnet pRon :lolsmash:

11. DJKen

DJKen Member

I got the "Windows Vista Recovery" twice in the past 4 weeks. First was from my former "prepper" site - WhenSHTF (Koobface) and the second was from Careerbuilder.com. The first "fix" took 24 hours and the second took 3 days. Being that my computer is needed fro my job, this REALLY sucked....not to mention what it cost me for the cleanings. Grrrrrr!

And I thought that all my antivirus and anitmalware would stop this! Double Grrrrr!!!

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

There is a fraudulent email floating around that says it's from UPS. You're told to open the attachment to view the tracking info. It looks quite legitimate. Since I haven't order anything in the last month that needed shipped, I called UPS and asked them about it. The lady I spoke with said they never send out emails with attachments and asked me to forward it to her. If you get one, don't open it.

13. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

UPS

I received the same UPS email and did not open it either.:gaah:

14. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

WOT caused a lot of performance issues for me. Really slowed things down, got unresponsive scripts and sucked up lots of memory. I dropped it and everything is fine now. The new version of Avast that I put in this week has something similar but doesn't seem to degrade performance.

15. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

yeah, WOT is a hog, but I set it's priority low on the chain so it's not as bad for me... of course I have a quad core w/8gB ram so...

...almost got the 6 core, I feel like such a caveman now that I didn't wait :D

16. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Found another phoney email tonight. This one says it's from the IRS. It says that the information on your return doesn't match their records and you will need to open the 2 attached files, file them out with the correct info and send them back.
    Yeah, I'll just do that. :rolleyes:

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up ... but to give up on the drudge ... can't do it. It is the first place I check in the morning. Where else can you find out, a mom is looking at jail time for spanking her "bad child".

Child acts up ... mom spanks (with her hand) child for acting up ... now mom is looking at jail time.

I heard Drudge is #1 for news of the day, and I agree ... what better way to take down #1 ... plant a bug. :dunno:

Yea, I may have to be careful ... but I can't/ will not give them up.

I love the drudge ... what can I say...

Thanks again.

18. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I use ESET Smart Security, plus Spybot and Windows Defender and have not had any problems.

19. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

You have to assume that any communication to you from businesses are usually not going to be done via attachments. You also have to assume the email is not legit UNLESS you know you have pending business transactions currently going on with that vendor. Finally, no business should ever ask you to "confirm" information by re-entering anything private. If they were so inept as to have lost that in the first place I certainly am not going to give it to them again... but so far it's always just been a scammer. Treat your emails the same way as if a strange came up to you and said the same thing and you will usually be safe.

I'm sure for many that is obvious advice but the bad guys are also getting more and more sophisticated making it harder to tell the spam from the legit somtimes.

20. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Millions of people go to Drudge every day. I don't think you got the virus there. I suspect that you got it somewhere else but it didn't activate until you were somewhere else. I'd swear that I got a virus going to dilbert.com but I don't believe that's really possible either. Viruses are tricky.