have you ever tried survival tabs rations

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Johncarter, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Johncarter

Johncarter Guest

I ran acrossthese pills they are supposedly a 15 day supply of food thats easily fully digested and weighs less than a pound
    any one ever try them?

2. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Interesting... I don't know what else to say about them :D

3. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

survival tabs

I'm skeptical. The math is deceptive or misleading or I'm just stupid. You take 12 tablets to get only 240 calories. That is really barely a survival ration. You probably get more calories when you are on life support.

I have used lifeboat rations on missions and they are tasty, I vary the flavors and they are filling, and the price is considerably cheaper per calorie than these survival tabs.

I keep lifeboat reations in my 72 hour kits and in my jeep.

I rotate them when I go backpacking.

Here is a link for lifeboat rations.

DATREX® 3600 Calorie Food Bar

To me these tabs are just a gimmick, but I am open to hearing from someone who has (wasted) their money on them.

4. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Not so sure about the "tabs". I have used the DATREX products and like them.

5. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

tablets?

The tablets thing has bugged me overnight so I kept thinking....then I remembered Malted Milk tablets my mom would send in my lunch to school in the 60's. I also know early combat pilot and Arctic expedition kits contained them.

I found Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets available at The Vermont Country Store
    online, looks like a rebirth of the malted tablets, tho these are inported from Malaysia. Yeah, Malaysia.

I really am comfortable with the lifeboat rations, made by a couple diferent companies, and each is US Coast Guard Approved and they are aproved for Aircraft kits.

Sometimes in survival prep I get too much into toys and whiz bang gadgets.

To me these tablets do not meet a need and are too costly.

I'd rather carry a Snickers bar.

Just MHO

6. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

I would not be surprised that Johncarter is a sales rep for the company selling these tablets.

Dukman Interesting... I don't know what else to say about them.

Allow me to say a few words please.
    Lower food content in the stomach will not slow digestion.
    All food is digested this is a scam by snake oil (tablet ) salesmen. This has been proven by Dr. Mehmet Oz who appears on Oprah Winfrey and his own medical show on the Discovery Channels.
    Evolved from the Space Program. Not the NASA space program. They learned that there has to be at least a semi-solid food in the stomach. Originally they wanted to use vitamins and supplements but soon learned that it was not feasible.
    The studies were controlled to provide the results they wanted.
    I have never seen any truck driver use these tablets. Eating stops are used by truck drivers to rest and relax. They are like any other worker after working so many hours of work they want a break too.
    Nutrition facts:
    0% carbohydrate, protein 4g, iron 100%, niacin 100% total fat18%. These items taken with out fiber will help you all right, they will help you experience a case of diarrhea.
    I doubt if any one making or marketing these tablets has any knowledge of diet and nutrition. They have a Doctor with out any certification in nutrition or a registered dietician who will endorse these tablets for a fee.
    Bottom line is. These tablets have been around since the sixties, why are they not widely known? Why are they available on line and not in places that sell camping equipment and camping food?
    If you doubt what I have said go to your local University or Hospital and obtain an opinion from a Registered Dietician.
    At almost ever Red Cross Service Center or Mass Care Shelter that I have been to the local Health Department shows up and part of their routine is providing us with a book on nutritional needs and one on sanitation.

7. Expeditioner

All in all, I think we agree that the tabs are not a good idea. Canned foods, Freeze Dried, MREs, and the DATREX rations offer more bang for the buck. Every few weeks I do a 48 hour training evolution were I push myself to the limits. The food sources that I mention work just fine.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

What's wrong with good old fashioned food?

9. Johncarter

Johncarter Guest

jebrown no I'm not affiliated with any internet or sales company the only business I'm in is lawn care I saw these while looking for some edible mushroom spawn(oyster and garden giant) and I ran across the pills and was interested do you think you could give a link to the Dr. Mehmet Oz and the NASA studies you mentioned

SurvivalNut it looks like the bars are about 4 times as expensive the 2400calorie DATREX bars are $4.36 each 10 of the tabs have 240 calories each 180 tabs for$23.95/18=$1.33 a day

I'm not saying they work I'm just asking why they wouldn't especially if they where used to stretch other food stuffs?

10. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

bad product

11. Expeditioner

The Datrex products can be found for cheaper. An 18 count bag of Blue Ration Datrex costs around $34. You are looking at just under $2.00 a bar. The per serving cost goes down even more if you buy a case.

The biggest difference (IMHO) is that DATREX is USCG approved.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  12. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I like those vanilla flavored cubes,just don't eat the whole package like my niece did,thinking they were cookies!there's not enough pepto bismol on earth to stop what happens next! :O

13. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

Johncarter
    Pardon my reference. On this and other forums sales reps sign on then post 3 – 5 times as you did then tout there product by saying ‘Hey look at what I found on the net.”. If you stay here long enough you will see it happen. I did not mean to offend you. If I did I apologize.
    The NASA research took place in the late1950’s and early 1960’s. I don’t know of any link to theses studies. I took two semesters of medical related diet and nutrition in the early1980’s. The studies were talked about in my text book. One of my fellow students Grandfather worked on that study and the student talked about it for an entire class. If it wasn’t for the fellow student I probably wouldn’t remember it.
    As for Dr. Oz check the websites for the Discovery Channel or Oprah Winfrey as he has a show on the Discovery Channel and appears on Oprah quite often.
    They could work as a supplement, but how well would take an independent study by someone not on the company payroll. Also what is their quality control? Is it being monitored by an outside source? In the event of a disaster do you really want you and your family depend on an unknown? They may be legitimate and have excellent quality but without knowing I wouldn’t take a chance. Also as I said there is a strong chance of diarrhea.
    I have been to shelters and seen people show up with hands full of dietary supplements. One of the most popular is vitamin C. They don’t want to catch a cold from the other shelter occupants. Some actually break out their pills and it looks like they have a pharmacy with them. They become too dependent on pills rather than proper nutrition. Along with the increase in the number of supplements is the stress from being in a shelter with “so many people that they know nothing about” that the pills and stress leads to diarrhea. These are usually the ones who set up as close to the restroom as possible.
    They body needs mass in the stomach, food. If it isn’t there it will react to having no food and starts metabolizing accordingly. It does not know that the supplements provide needed nutrition.
    It reacts to the amount of food that it receives. They talked about weight loss. Part of that was the body utilizing food stored in the body as it wasn’t getting enough food.

14. BurtB

BurtB Guest

I have never heard of such pills. I wouldn't think for a second that you could live on these tabs alone but it may help you go through less food as quickly.

SurvivalNut, you say that your mom used to pack them in your school lunch everyday? What was her reasoning?

15. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Malted Milk tablets were a common item in survival and iron rations in WWII. These tablets were sold in little bottles in the 50's and 60's as a lunch time treat.

I can't blame her on turning me into a SurvivalNut. I am resonsible for that myself.

The tablets are being remarketed as a nostolgic item, but are made in Malaysia now. I think I'll pass on that memory

16. Expeditioner

LOL......my youngest son did the same thing. We were out fishing and I needed to use up some of my older supplies up so I took a pack along. He ate the pack on the drive up to the stream. Yep there is not enough pepto for what happenes next.......................:eek:

17. 10101

10101 Guest

Seems rather expensive for so little nutrition......I would invest in other "real" food.

18. Firefly

Firefly New Member

Looks like something you'd see on an old Jetsons cartoon episode, quaint but I would NOT trust these for survival. Probably be better off with a bunch of Little Debbie brownies :)

19. Boris

Boris Active Member

hmmm....

survival nut, maybe yu can help, but it seems thesewere originally developed for special forces operators. i have tried them, and they taste......ok, but you will be better off with DATREX bars or something like that. there is another mfg, but i ca't remember just now. the only real helpful thing in this case would be the bottle. it fits in a canteen pouch and you mght could carry water or something else in it. if you get the runs in SHTF situation, your problems just went out the roof. losing water like that without replacing it is no good.

20. Expeditioner

Mainstay also make a survival ration that is supposed to be similar to the Datrex rations. Never tried the Mainstay products so I have no idea how they would compare.