Featured Hatchet/Axe or Machete

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by skiball, Nov 4, 2017.

1. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

I have an old german mace I love. Pretty cool old timey weapon :)

BlueZ and skiball like this.
  2. skiball

skiball Member

That’s very true, but the topic has temporarily switched from that to zombies and aliens. I’m sure we’ll get back on track soon.. Lol...

BlueZ likes this.

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

A machette here with all the ultra thick vines and brush. We used it to cut down everything from vines to small trees and it has held up very well.
    It was made out of a leaf spring of an older car, tempered and shaped and it has really been put to the test by us for past 25 yr.s. You slice down and side cut a small tree in a few moments with it.
    We also like the axe, that almost gave me a heart attack last year trying to take up roots from a Mimosa Tree. Problem is you don't know your about to drop dead till you stop!

BlueZ, sewingcreations15 and RedBeard like this.
  4. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

As you get older the work related arthritis makes you want to avoid the shock related activity that comes from swinging axes and machete.

sewingcreations15 and Meerkat like this.
  5. headhunter

headhunter Member

I'm gettin' old, that said, if you think about going down a forest road without an axe- please don't. You can get a couple mile down a road you've driven for years and there is a tree across the darn thing. Last summer my son-in-law awaken me to say a tree had come down on my 4X4 truck. He hadn't parked it poorly but a tree on the neighbor's property had come down and struck a tree on our property, because of a unbelievable amount of rainfall, that tree fell on my truck with about 20' sticking out on both sides. He cleaned up the driver's side with his chain saw and I did the other with my axe. Snow fall or high wind can lock you from going down a road. The axe, bow saw and a plastic wedge (so if your saw gets pinched you can using the axe and wedge get it out).

marlas1too, BlueZ and ssonb like this.
  6. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

People here bring up good point!
    I will buy a semi- decent Ax for both of my trucks.

7. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

I think a short shovel, is handy also.

TechAdmin, Kodeman and BlueZ like this.
  8. fteter

fteter Well-Known Member

I'd probably go hatchet on this choice. I see advantages to both, but I was raised with plenty of hatchet use. Not so familiar with the machete.

BlueZ likes this.
  9. Wikkador

Wikkador Well-Known Member

unless you are having to make a trail in thick jungle.. I find that a hatchet is a much better tool. If I could only have one, it would probably be a hatchet.

skiball and TechAdmin like this.
  10. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

When we go down East we have the shovel, and hatchet ready. If needed the shovel can be used as a makeshift axe.

skiball likes this.
  11. Robert Heggestad

Robert Heggestad Member

My preference:

2018 | WOODMAN'S PAL
    HYBRID AXE/HACHETTE Field Chopping/Cutting Tool | WORLD WAR II LEGEND | HANDMADE IN USA SINCE 1941!
    [​IMG]
    LONG REACH MODEL 145
    [​IMG] U.S. Military Issue "LC-14-B" Woodman's PAL Model 784
    [​IMG] COMPACT Model 784
    [​IMG] Commemorative Woodman's PAL Military Issue "LC-14-B"
    [​IMG] International Casanova Registered User Support
    "A Machete With The Power Of An Axe" The Original Machete-Axe From CASANOVA'S ----- Designed To Trim, Prune, Chop, Lop, Split, Slice; Blaze Trails, Clear Branches And Twigs From Logs, Brush Out Lines, Clear Campsites, Chop Firewood, Split Kindling, Build Hunting Blinds, Survival Shelters, Lean-To-Shelter, Etc..

Efficiently Perform The Tasks Of Many Tools..... Including Machetes, Axes, Hatchets, Pruning Saws, Pruning Shears, pruning knives, bow saws, loppers, Bowie knives and for certain jobs, even chain saws

The WOODMAN'S PAL® Machete-Axe Is Preferred By, And Outfitted To: Surveyors - Foresters - Nurserymen - Fire & Rescue - Hunters - Campers - Hikers - Survivalists - Explorers - Expeditions - Pilots - Boaters- Land Managers - Gardeners - Farmers - Highway Crews

Legendary Service, Highest Rugged Durable Quality Tools! Just Released New Products, For Professional, Commercial, Government Work, And Outdoor Sporting Activities, Exploration, Adventure, Brush Clearing, Road-Land-Yard Maintenance, And More. Created By The Pro Tools Industry Family Of Craftsmen – All Handmade To The Same High Degree Of Quality Standards Set Forth For The First Proven Original Legendary American Icon; The Woodman’s Pal.

Handmade With Pride In USA, With USA MATERIALS, ALL 100% GUARANTEED