Featured Hatchet/Axe or Machete

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by skiball, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I was taught or should I say was allowed to build one half of a camp, my half, By a friend who has a lot more experience in the woods. I was using an Ax, hatchet and a large camp knife. After a half hour of swinging and hacking at the greenery my friend said"do you want me to show you something?" He reached in his coat pocket and brought out a medium size folding saw....In less than ten minutes he had the poles and braces cut down and sized and used his camp ax to de limb then he picked up the bundle and left me to finish with my half. Later he ask "what did you learn?" I said It seems to be a lot easier to cut down poles with a saw. "What else?" I kinda looked around and not having anything else to add just shrugged my shoulders. So he continued..1... As you have found out Ease...2... Safety It takes a lot of concentration to swing an ax hatchet or machete especially on green wood. 3 ...Security you can saw a small tree down and maintain a watch around you.....4 ....Noise Do you know how far the wack of an ax or hatchet carries in the woods.

2. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

That's a good point to add! I have this little handle made by Stanley that you can clamp any hack saw or sazall blade into. I actually have a bunch of them. One in the hunting pack, bob, rig, tool bag, even have one for butchering.

3. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I like the Stihl's they make a professional grade for limb trimming that is more rugged and you can buy replacement blades..Now it costs twice as much as the $19.00 ones but I have had to tape one of those back together in the woods.

Sentry18, skiball and RedBeard like this.
  4. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

In the bottom of the pic is my newest one that i use for butchering, lost the other one somewhere. Nothing to tape on mine. Simple set screw that a coin fits in to get it extra tight. I use them alot for all kinds of things. Haven't broken one yet. Those nice stihl ones do make short work of wood though.

Attached Files:

DFrost, hashbrown, Sentry18 and 2 others like this.
  5. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

I carry a folding saw in my truck.
    I would rather use a small bow saw in the woods.

RedBeard, hashbrown, skiball and 3 others like this.
  6. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

I really like my bob dustrude collapsible bow saw. I went with the 30 inch for the longer draw. Its good.

RedBeard, Sentry18, skiball and 2 others like this.
  7. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I got a collapsible bow saw last year but have not tried it out yet, I think it is only about a 18".

8. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

I always break bow saws but then again i only have had cheap ones. What one did you get?

skiball likes this.
  9. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I will try to remember to look when I get home cause its in my big BOB, I bought it at a preparedness store. It dissembles into a round storage tube that is also the handle.

RedBeard and skiball like this.
  10. Kodeman

Kodeman Kodeman

A sharp Hudson Bay axe is my go to, if I had to choose only one.

RedBeard and skiball like this.
  11. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

wood cutting tools are just like any other tool, weapon, knife, toothbrush ect, ect... genre. that is why there are so many model styles and shapes. There be not one that will do it all and I hope that with a little knowledge, training, preparation that I will not have to make the "Just one choice" even tho it is sometimes a useful mental exercise.

12. skiball

skiball Member

True... I have had plans to add a good dentist approved toothbrush to not only my BOB, but to keep one in my truck as well, just in case I need to split some firewood or build a quick shelter.. Thanks... :)
    Lol...!

crabapple and RedBeard like this.
  13. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

Or to ward off the tooth plaque rabid beaver..........

14. crabapple

I look for folding & collapsible, light weight combo tools so I can carry as many as will fit under the back seat in my crew cab/indoor dry toolbox.
    My Machete has saw teeth on the back of the blade.

CrackbottomLouis and Caribou like this.
  15. crabapple

I really like this thread & another like it, that Sentry18 started.
    I went as far as to write many post on paper, to commit them to a long term memory.

skiball likes this.
  16. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Schrade compact Ax an folding saw combo. It has a 12.5'' saw in the handle of a camp style ax. I will try it out and see if it is worth using. Ya know a lot of "wonder" tools are just that they look good in store or on paper but in real life it makes you "wonder" why you bought it in the first place.

skiball and CrackbottomLouis like this.
  17. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Just the thing for zombies if you have tree trunks for arms :)

Caribou and skiball like this.
  18. skiball

skiball Member

I’m kind of partial to the Klingon Battle Axe, when it comes to Zombies and unfriendly aliens such as The Gorn or The Romulans...
    All in all... A good old Klingon Disrupter might come in handy too...[​IMG]

terri9630, UncleJoe and RedBeard like this.
  19. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

All these odd lookin swing blades look neat but they are ill designed to chop wood or even to battle orcs. The tried and true remote attitude adjustment device works best on the "orcs", conventional designed axes and crosscut saws work on the flora adversary.

20. ssonb

ssonb Well-Known Member

I agree, I have some of the Japanese blades and have been lookin into a Bastard or Hand and a half.

skiball likes this.