Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depending on where you get your news, many may have missed this story.

The Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources has embarked upon a war against small pig farmers in that state. Using a fresh Agenda 21 directive regarding invasive species, this bunch of fascists have declared that many of the swine being raised by small farmers in Michigan are "invasive species" and are to be destroyed.

A number of small farms have already been raided by groups of armed DNR thugs using either warrants obtained in other counties than where the farm is located or by other nefarious means to invade private property.

At least one farmer killed all of his pigs himself rather than be arrested and charged as a felon by the DNR.

The DNR is destroying the lives and the livelihoods of Michigan small farmers in following the Agenda 21 ISO directive while large producers are being allowed to operate unmolested.

This is America? Calls are now being made to arrest these DNR armed "agents". At least one farmer has filed a court case, which it to begin this Friday. Too bad these thugs weren't met with hundreds of armed farmers who would have either took them into custody or planted them in the earth!

http://www.naturalnews.com/035585_Michigan_farms_raids.html

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Yea, I saw it and then did a little research ...

Lets just say they left a few things out of the story. :)eek:) Shocking, I know...

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Hey

They're "JUST" Farmers..

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts

Lets just say they left a few things out of the story. :)eek:) Shocking, I know...
do you have some more links?

·
Registered
387 Posts

C'mon, Andi?

A little research? They left out what? Huh? You're killin' us - We can make you talk....

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Links will have to wait till I get the grandbaby down for a nap ... but in my book, wild boars are an invasive species (yes, you can call them an "ol time breed" but does that change the fact ... And I guess Hunt clubs can be call a pig farm. :dunno:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The DNR has declared Sus scrofa, one species of swine, an invasive species in Michigan. As such, possession of this species of swine is now prohibited in Michigan. This was a move by the Michigan DNR to join other states in the battle against feral swine, as well as to align with the National Invasive Species Laboratory's stance on feral swine. Hunting and breeding facilities in possession of Sus scrofa after April 1, 2012, will face legal action by the state. See more information on the order listing feral swine as an invasive species.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_55230-230062--,00.html

A Department of Natural Resources director's order listing sporting swine as an invasive species took effect over the weekend on Oct. 8, making it illegal to possess the animals in Michigan.

"Absent a regulatory program in Michigan law for sporting swine facilities, the invasive species order is being put into effect," said DNR Director Rodney Stokes.

Stokes said active enforcement of the invasive species order will not start prior to April 1, 2012, with compliance visits to swine shooting and breeding facilities planned after that date.

Sporting swine facilities can use the next six months to schedule hunts to reduce the population of sporting swine on their properties. Facilities still in possession of sporting swine on April 1, 2012, may face violations and fines.

The DNR acted to list sporting swine as an invasive species to help stop the spread of invasive swine across the State to eliminate the disease risk they pose to humans, domestic pigs and wildlife, and to prevent damage to agricultural and other lands. The state is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to eradicate feral swine. Legislation was also passed last year allowing people with any valid hunting license to shoot feral swine on public land and on private land with the permission of the landowner.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_10402-263850--,00.html

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
That all looks pretty straight-forward to me. Had these facilities complied with laws given last year, this wouldn't have been an issue.

·
1,734 Posts
The ban is so wide, it is hitting legitimate farm pigs too.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts

·
234 Posts
In my neck of the woods, I've had a DNR ranger tell me to "Shoot on Sight" any wild hogs. I was squirrel hunting with a .22, but had a more potent side-arm just in case I ran into a pig. They're tough and mean down here, so I don't play around with them. The ranger asked me why I was packing a side arm, and when I told him, his exact words were "You see any of them sumbitches, you shoot hell outta them."

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, lets all understand something. All swine are potential "feral". If you know anything about swine, you probably know that once released into the wild they all will revert to their core stock, which is what is now running loose and destroying property throughout most of the US.

Raising Hampshire hogs? Within two generations left alone and on their own you won't recognize the offspring.

My understanding after researching this story is that even the older European breeds are being singled out by overly rambunctious DNR agents simply due to color and/or markings.

If these farmers are releasing hogs, thats one thing. But if they are raising hogs for the food market and are being targeted due to breed/color/markings, thats a lot different.

Seems like some here are more than willing to tolerate a little UN fascism!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other thing...

With the exception of the peccary thats native to the SW, can any of you name a single hog strain that ISN'T invasive? *tick tock tick tock* Times up. No, you can't. They all are invasive. So are domestic cattle, sheep, goats, chickens, and every other farm animal, even horses. Horses are not "native" to North America. But lets take up for these fascist bastards in Michigan bullying private citizens on private property. At what point will you say, "Well, thats just too far!"? Maybe when only government licensed corporate farms are the only ones who can raise animals for food and other products 'cause those little private folks just can't be trusted and they don't really know what they are doing!:mad:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
If the hogs are in a pen or well-fenced pasture, what business is it to anyone what kind of pigs they're raising? :scratch:

When we lived in Kentucky there were large packs of "feral" dogs that no one would claim to own. They killed a lot of deer and other critters. I guess the DNR should have raided everyone's home and took their dogs so there wouldn't be a chance they'd get loose and damage the habitat and critters of the woods...

I do agree the wild hogs pose a problem, but there must be a better solution.

:nuts:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
But lets take up for these fascist bastards in Michigan bullying private citizens on private property. At what point will you say, "Well, thats just too far!"? Maybe when only government licensed corporate farms are the only ones who can raise animals for food and other products 'cause those little private folks just can't be trusted and they don't really know what they are doing!:mad:
It's true.... after "grape", "government" is my favorite flavor of Koolaid.;)

I really don't think that this is part of a government conspiracy to take over private farms. In fact, in my area at least, the trend has been the opposite: recent legislation has paved the way for people to raise chickens in areas previously blocked by zoning regulations. Is that part of a government plan to undermine the chicken industry? Sometimes a spade is simply a spade.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
whoa--instead of killing all those pigs, couldn't they make nice gifts for Muslims??;)

·
985 Posts
Sounds like a viable year round food source to me. Sure, they are invasive. So, when times are tough you can just shoot a wild pig or two. Makes the rangers happy and puts good meat on the table. No need to worry about seasons. At least thats what it's sounding like to me.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
In my neck of the woods, I've had a DNR ranger tell me to "Shoot on Sight" any wild hogs. I was squirrel hunting with a .22, but had a more potent side-arm just in case I ran into a pig. They're tough and mean down here, so I don't play around with them. The ranger asked me why I was packing a side arm, and when I told him, his exact words were "You see any of them sumbitches, you shoot hell outta them."
I hear there's no bag limit on those things.
I think I need to visit y'all this summer.any place down there I can buy sausage casings?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
OK, lets all understand something. All swine are potential "feral". If you know anything about swine, you probably know that once released into the wild they all will revert to their core stock, which is what is now running loose and destroying property throughout most of the US.

Raising Hampshire hogs? Within two generations left alone and on their own you won't recognize the offspring.

My understanding after researching this story is that even the older European breeds are being singled out by overly rambunctious DNR agents simply due to color and/or markings.

If these farmers are releasing hogs, thats one thing. But if they are raising hogs for the food market and are being targeted due to breed/color/markings, thats a lot different.

Seems like some here are more than willing to tolerate a little UN fascism!
How are they being overly rambunctious ... they didn't wake up the other morning and say, "I think we will outlaw some pig today! :idea:" It has been in the works for years ...

As for the little UN fascism ... Just for a minute take a look at the other side of the coin. The amount of damage done to the crop fields, pasture land, woodland and last but not least the little ol lady and her flower garden. (she was more than a little ticked.)

You said, 'cause those little private folks just can't be trusted and they don't really know what they are doing! ~ Well... you must say, someone screwed up somewhere because there are wild hogs running a muck in mich.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts