Has anyone heard of this plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by StillKickin, Aug 5, 2010.

1. StillKickin

StillKickin Indubabably

It's called Jatropha Curcas, its a tree that has been widely used as a natural animal barrier and insect repellant, but has now been found out to be able to use at a BIO-Diesel... I am currently getting ready to open a greenhouse and try growing my first plants, 1 acre of this plant in a bad season should yeild 200gallons.... just looking for peoples thoughts on it, or knowledge or someone who is also trying out there?!?

2. Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier New Member

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have never heard of it ... but a few things come to mind.(after looking at the link) - perennial poisonous shrub - :eek: (but I have critters)- can grow in wastelands and grows almost anywhere. That is a double ... :eek::eek: (sounds like a plant that can easy get out of hand)

I would also check and see if your state (or area) will let you make your own BIO-Diesel... Some places will not. - and the only other question I would have would be ... what will it cost to turn the shrub to bio diesel?

Just my thoughts ... :D

4. survivalseed

survivalseed Member

Jatropha curcas is a species of flowering plant in the spurge family. It is cultivated in tropical and subtropical regions around the world, becoming naturalized in some areas.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

6. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Is it legal to import this plant into the United States? :dunno: