Harbor Freight Compressors

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Jim1590, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jim1590

Jim1590 Annoying pain in the.... knee

Please no trying to steer me to x brand cause HF is crap! I got a budget after all, and my exp has been decent with their stuff. :p

I am needing a compressor to start framing out a basement and building a wall in said basement. Well I really don't need it.... nobody tell my wife that!

Also want something that can run an impact at 6cfm for those times I need that extra torque. Aside from running a nail gun, impact, and inflating various things, I do not at this point see a need for anything more.

I am looking at these two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...p-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html

I will of course be getting the 2 year ext warranty on whichever. The 21 gal has more air (obviously) but the 10 gal has more cfm at 5.3 (reviews on both say they will run the impact I am planning on, just not for anything extended time).

So horror stories on these? Thoughts? Rave reviews?

I can get either for about the same price, just not sure which one.

Thanks!

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Are you purchasing at a local store or an internet order? I'd be concerned if you don't have a brick-and-mortar store to return it to if you have problems with it.

I'd also ask you to consider getting something like these before you plug it in.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/hearing-protector-97849.html

[​IMG]

3. Jim1590

You mean my local toy store? Yup I got a brick and mortar.

As for hearing loss. Got that covered. Thanks!

4. Tweto

Tweto I love the smell of Argon in the morning

I think that both of these will be OK for the nail gun and filling tires. Any continuous power tool like impact, sander, grinder, it will fall short. You will run out of air in a matter of seconds and then be waiting for it to pump up again for another few seconds you can use the tool.

I currently own 3 compressors. One is a 1 horse that is any capable of filling tires, that is all. The second one is a 2 stage 175PSI that can run any impact, but still can't provide enough air (CFM) for any continuous us power tools. I finally broke down and purchased a 5 horse, 3 cylinder, 125psi, upright with 80 gallon tank, 220vac that can produce all the compressed air that I need. I guess you get what you pay for. The small one was about $120, the 2 stage was $250 and the 3 cylinder I purchased from a company going out of business for $750 (I just saw the same compressor in a catalog for $1200). I can now run any power tool none stop and never run out of air.

5. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I have a smaller one in the work truck. Been runnin 6 years. I've had decent luck with stuff I've bought from em.

6. Jim1590

Yeah my work has an 80 gall 17 cfm so I am familiar with the nature of the beast so to speak.

The coin toss in my mind is .5 less cfm for double the tank or get the smaller tank and maybe a add on tank later on. Been wrestling with this for over a month now.

The impact should not need much, anything long term continous use would have me grabbing my plug in impact. That one is also HF and works like a champ. Only problem is that it is bulky and not the best in tight areas. I really only want to be able to shock bolts loose when needed. I can use a breaker bar for removing them if I need to. I have no plans for a grinder or sander.

Thanks for the input

7. Tweto

Tweto I love the smell of Argon in the morning

BTW I have purchased from HF and have nothing bad to say about them.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If I could make my suggestion, it would be to maximize the CFM - the size of the tank means nothing if the compressor cannot keep up with the demands.

I purchased a "massive tank" on a compressor and have been frustrated with it because the CFM is too low. I also have a 10CFM compressor-head with a 2 gallon tank that does 1000-times better than a 5CFM with a 21-gallon tank.

9. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

Compressor CFM needs to be DOUBLE your highest use tool.

HF, or any of those lesser price units don't even come close to achieving their stated ratings, and have limited life. I finally broke down and bought a more expensive (and smaller) single stage and it's performed well for almost 7 years now. I went through three others before that.

10. Jim1590

Yeah that is what I am looking at. The 21 gallon is 4.7 cfm @ 90psi. The 10 gallon is 5.3 cfm @90psi. Is the extra volume worth the lower cfm..........

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If you had the choice to fill up a bathtub with a coffee-cup, or a bucket, or a garden hose or a firehose - which one would you choose?

I am lazy, so, I wouldn't use the coffee-cup, I might use the bucket. But, I am still lazy, so, I would grab the garden hose and crank 'er right up. Hmm .. still taking too long. Hook up a firehose and get that sucker full in seconds.

They all will get the job done, it all depends on how long you wanna take to get the job done.

12. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Can I watch yall fill that bathtub with a firehose! :D

13. Jim1590

This all really got me thinking.

Any thoughts on this? http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/4225436238.html

Looks to be a craftsman 919.167340 with 33 gallon tank 6.4 scfm @ 90 psi. Guy wants 200, I may be able to get him down some on that.

Yeah it is used, but I would take craftsman over harbor freight any day

14. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

higher CFM is better. max PSI on the two units? mine is 15gal with 200 psi capacity, which makes it seem like a larger tank.

15. Jim1590

Craftsman is 150, the harbor freights are 125.

Gonna see how low I can get the guy to go and test it before I decide.

16. Coastal

Coastal Member

Get the biggest capacity compressor you can afford. Going by the numbers isn't always accurate, I've done the cheap chinese compressors and they are ok for intermittent use. I'd get a used Ingersol Rand, Speedaire, Devilbiss etc over a chinese one any day. ;)

17. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

I have no problem with HF, but my 3 compressor are not from there.
    OCH, I want to click you post many times, but you can tell me about the tub, I do not want to be near the house, forget being inside.

18. Jim1590

Ended up with that craftsman off of craigslist. Came out of a repair shop for a landscaper, looked to be in great shape. Was much quieter than I thought and filled in about 2 minutes.

Its 150psi 6hp 33gal. Motor runs at 2hp when recharging. Runs a rated 6.4 scfm and they used it with a 1/2" impact wrench. Should do everything I need it for.

So I will now admit I was in error with my first post about HF and my budget. Got this thing for $180.

19. GrinnanBarrett

GrinnanBarrett Member

I buy stuff from HF all the time. You just have to watch what you are getting. they do sell some junk items but at the same time have some real bargains. I bought some sharpening stones this week. Also picked up some more fire starters Magnesium there as well. I did look at the compressors that are on sale. I wound up at Northern Tool to pick up some stuff there. The same story is true of all places now.

For years all Craftsman Tools were made in USA. Not any more. Look for reviews on line. Most of all be careful about false branding. I have seen generators as an example with HONDA engines that are not really Honda engines. GB

20. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

Countries other then the U.S., can make quality products, they follow the details of the contractor who hired them. The contractors contracts the companies to make cheap, low Quality product, because we will buy them. I agree that sometimes we get the best part of the low cost deal.