Hamfest

Discussion in 'Communications' started by hardrock, Sep 1, 2010.

1. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

Hello guys, I got my tech licence on aug. 5th and am planning to attend a hamfest sept 10 & 11 at Mena ar.

I'm still in the dark about radios and antennas and need to know what to expect when I get there. Thanks

2. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

Went to the hamfest at Rich mt. Ar. near Mena last w/e and bought an Icom 706mkIIg and antenna wire.

Just finished a 2meter/70cm J-pole and should have it going tomorrow

Should have a base station and a mobile to learn and enjoy.

Best way to find out about long distance communications is to go where the hams are. They are happy to help you.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I love my 706mkII and IIg, great rigs, made contact all over. One is in the shack and the other is in my truck.
    Kg6xxx

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I thought they removed the licensing requirements for HAM?... or is there a different type of "non-skilled" radio being practiced out there? (besides CB ;) )

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Licence still required, Technician-10m(limited)-6m-2m-70cm, General-160m-80/75m-40m-20m-17m-15m-12m-10m, Advanced Voice and Extra same as General more bandwidth.
    They relaxed the requirement for code on the Technician and General ticket.
    kg6xxx

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

ok, THAT must've been what I was confused about, I knew there was some lessening/dumbing down, just didn't know how much... wow, maybe even a dumba$$ like me can qualify now :beercheer: