Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I got my tech licence on aug. 5th and am planning to attend a hamfest sept 10 & 11 at Mena ar.

I'm still in the dark about radios and antennas and need to know what to expect when I get there. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello guys, I got my tech licence on aug. 5th and am planning to attend a hamfest sept 10 & 11 at Mena ar.

I'm still in the dark about radios and antennas and need to know what to expect when I get there. Thanks
Went to the hamfest at Rich mt. Ar. near Mena last w/e and bought an Icom 706mkIIg and antenna wire.

Just finished a 2meter/70cm J-pole and should have it going tomorrow

Should have a base station and a mobile to learn and enjoy.

Best way to find out about long distance communications is to go where the hams are. They are happy to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Went to the hamfest at Rich mt. Ar. near Mena last w/e and bought an Icom 706mkIIg and antenna wire.

Just finished a 2meter/70cm J-pole and should have it going tomorrow

Should have a base station and a mobile to learn and enjoy.

Best way to find out about long distance communications is to go where the hams are. They are happy to help you.
I love my 706mkII and IIg, great rigs, made contact all over. One is in the shack and the other is in my truck.
Kg6xxx

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I thought they removed the licensing requirements for HAM?... or is there a different type of "non-skilled" radio being practiced out there? (besides CB ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I thought they removed the licensing requirements for HAM?... or is there a different type of "non-skilled" radio being practiced out there? (besides CB ;) )
Licence still required, Technician-10m(limited)-6m-2m-70cm, General-160m-80/75m-40m-20m-17m-15m-12m-10m, Advanced Voice and Extra same as General more bandwidth.
They relaxed the requirement for code on the Technician and General ticket.
kg6xxx

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Licence still required, Technician-10m(limited)-6m-2m-70cm, General-160m-80/75m-40m-20m-17m-15m-12m-10m, Advanced Voice and Extra same as General more bandwidth.
They relaxed the requirement for code on the Technician and General ticket.
kg6xxx
ok, THAT must've been what I was confused about, I knew there was some lessening/dumbing down, just didn't know how much... wow, maybe even a dumba$$ like me can qualify now :beercheer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.