Ham Radios

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Linda61, Mar 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

I have just been reading trough old posts on radios and communication,
    with all the information, I am just a little confused.

Did I understand that you can use one of these Hand Held ham radios, and that is all you need? I do understand that you need a license to operate it, but do you need anything else? Trying to find something that would reach up to 30 miles away, (other family members.)

2. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

wouldn't really try to use a handheld 2 meter rig with whip antena (small enough to use like a walkie talkie) to dependably shoot 30 miles. Something mounted in the car with a ~3ft antena on top would do the trick though. Now you can get REALLY friskie and set up a repeater in the car/BOV and use the handhelds within range of the repeater.

3. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Thank you, I am really confused on what to do, seems like nothing can get the range you need without spending loads of money

4. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

In most cases its almost cheaper to buy a mobile rig vs a handheld. My main mobile rig cost less than my Yeasu VX-7 and decent mobile antenna can be around $30-$40.

5. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Thanks I will look into a mobile set up, things is am going to have to have two of whatever I get, one for hubby too, as he works about 10 miles away and has to cross a river to get home, if we had an earthquake might be impossible to get home. So I will look into two mobile rigs

6. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

And what is your mobile rig (make/model)? Would you recommend it or having used it would you recommend something else? I too am looking to get something. I just started studying for my tech license.