Halloween Fun

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by catsraven, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

That one is unknown to me.
    SHARE!

2. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

A man named stingy Jack asked the devil to have a drink with him. Stingy Jack was true to his name and talked the devil into changing into a coin so he could buy them both a drink.

Jack put the coin into his pocket with a silver cross so the devil could not change back. Jack told him he would release him if he promised to leave him alone for one year and not take his soul. The devil agreed so Jack released him.

The next year Jack tricked the devil again by asking him to clime a tree to get him some fruit. The devil climbed the tree and Jack carved a cross on the tree to trap him. He made the devil promise to leave him alone for 10 more years and not take his soul. The devil agreed and Jack released him.

Not to long after, Jack died. God did not want such an unsavory soul so denied him entrance into heaven. The devil kept his word and did not allow Jack into hell. The devil turned him into the dark with a burning coal to light his way. Condemning Jack to walk the earth forever. Jack carved a turnip so he could put the coal into it.

Carving a turnip and putting a coal into it is to scare off Jack.

Jack of the Lantern shorten to Jack o lantern.

3. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

See the greatest time of year!
    Have a happy birthday in case I m not around to tell you

4. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Pagans were celebrating Samhain : Christians decided to go with that day and add in celebration of the saints in heaven and later souls that are waiting for heaven.

Nov 1 All Saint's Day
    Nov 2 All Soul's Day

So ya can google the history of those days and let your Christian friends who feel this time of year is all evil (and about eating babies haha) that they are wrong. :cool:

5. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I for one hate Halloween and consider it an evil holiday.

First I have to shell out money for 7 costumes (made not purchased, but they still cost money). Then I have to shell out money for candy (we get 100-150 kids each year). Then we have to dig out the decorations and put them on the house. Then I have to carve pumpkins, not 2-3 pumpkins, no no. Every kid wants a pumpkin. Then I have to separate pumpkin seeds from pumpkin entrails. Then I have to listen to 3 dogs growl and stare out the window all night. Then I get to sort through 6-7 bags of candy, some insanely large, and toss out anything suspicious or that can be unwrapped/re-wrapped. Then I have to make 7 individually labeled bags with the portion of candy they are allowed to keep. Then I take the remainder of the candy and we bag it up to donate to the local children's hospital and women & children's abuse shelter. Then I have to put the house on high alert lock down. Then I generally have to go to work and deal with drunken costumed idiots, property damage and bogus 911 calls (or I stay home and get 10-20 phone calls and 20-30 text messages from the department about the same stuff). Calls that always include an unidentified mostly naked drunk woman passed out somewhere, an idiot who decided to use a real gun/sword/axe for his costume and multiple vandalism calls. And that's before the DUI's and assaults start adding up. Of course I also get to hear 200-300 times "Are you a real cop?", "Sweet costume Bro", "Can I hold your gun?". Then I get to wake up and see smashed pumpkins out in the street (never ours, but it always seems to happen) before I begin cleaning up all the Halloween decor. That's when I start hearing "May I have a piece of my candy" every 3 minutes for the next 10 days. So yes, Halloween is evil.

I am a big fan of Thanksgiving. Food, football & family. What an awesome holiday that is.

6. dixiemama

dixiemama Well-Known Member

We don't get any kids (head of 1/4 mile long holler that's hidden from the main road) so no decorations for us. We have all our visitors for thanksgiving and Christmas.

I've had to have the 'Halloween is evil' talk before. I calmly remind everyone that Christianity is NOT the oldest religion so therefore had to 'borrow' and modify holidays already being celebrated by those from other religions.

Our local churches have fall festivals on the same night as trick or treat, hand out candy, literature and fliers for their holiday activities. Even being smack dab in the middle of Old Regular Baptist community, never have had to explain it to them. Its always both mouths from other denominations.

7. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

It was below 20 degrees last night so I kept my clothes on.
    :D

8. valannb22

valannb22 Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of nowhere, so no trick-or-treaters for me. I did wait til last minute and ended up spending right at $100 for three costumes. :mad: We always go trick or treating in my Grandma's neighborhood in OKC. There weren't a whole lot of houses with the porch lights on this year.

9. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

In my community there are some neighborhoods that embrace trick-or-treating and others that don't. We live on a culdesac with approx. 12 houses on it. So parents will stop at the entrance and have their kids walk the culdesac while they wait at the entrance. We let our kids walk our own neighborhood and the next one over (with supervision) and then we load up all the younger ones in the car to go to specific houses (friends, family, teachers, coaches, etc.) while the older kids continue on for several more blocks. When we have wintery Halloween's (which happens) we go to the local retirement communities and walk the large apartment buildings. If they have a pumpkin on the door they are accepting trick-or-treater's, if not don't knock.

And Dixiemama: According to my bible Christianity is not only the oldest system of beliefs, it is the oldest thing in existence. Christianity did not begin with the birth of Christ, it began with "In the beginning". :)

10. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

I'm fortunate. I don't need to buy a costume to wear.

11. cazetofamo

cazetofamo Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all your info! It made some great reading marerial and good discussion topics in quiz bowl practice! Some was new, some i had been taught, but nothing i can really disagree with! Thanks again guys!

12. mojo4

mojo4 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a story sentry posted! Just watch out for guys in gorills suits. They are pretty horny I guess.

13. jsriley5

jsriley5 Well-Known Member

Hmmm wonder if I can get a gorilla suit my size on clearance!?!?!?!?!?! :p

14. cazetofamo

cazetofamo Junior Member

I wonder if my banana suit would work as well??