Haiti what if it happned here, on a national scale

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kyfarmer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Haiti this could happen to us to. Haiti quake: Survivors struggle while awaiting aid - Yahoo! News I know i posted on another thread about American first and i still mean it. But in these kinda disaster's we should help as much as we can. I do feel for all those family's and their loved one's. One of the most corrupt gov. on the planet, even so we will pour the aid in and in time's like this i guess we should. After it's all done and thing's settle a bit, where most of the aid came from will be forgotten i think. I do wonder who would really come to america's aid in a time like this on a national scale, no one i suspect. :dunno:

2. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Well, since Haiti is the home of Voodoo . . . I suspect there would be zombies involved.

:D

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Don't forget about your brothers and sisters to the north. The last major earthquake in California - we were there. The trashing of the TwinTowers - we were there. The flooding during Katrina - we were there. In fact, I helped setup a convoy of relief from here in Calgary that went south to help out. The convoy was setup through a private company (I didn't work directly for them, I worked for the metal shop that helped make it happen) here and in the trailers of the 18-wheelers there were gen-sets, fuel-tanks, shelters, first-aid (mini-hospital), food, water (and water filtration systems) ...

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

No, I don't think we should be sending aid to Haiti at all. At some point you have to stand back and let these countries stand up on their own two feet.

By doing so, they will see the problems within their own government. And then they will strive for change. If aid is just handed to them, this will never happen.

5. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Haiti

Haiti has been internationally oppressed as a nation since it's inception. No one in Europe or US would accept a country of former slaves on the world playing field because slave trading was a lucrative business at that time. Haiti had to eventually pay, yes, pay France to be recognized as a free nation. That debt was not paid off until the early 1920's; of course, by then, they were under US occupation. During the occupation, the constitution was changed to allow foreign landowners, i.e. American corporations. Recent history has shown time and time again that the US backed Haitian governments are full of corruption and political scandal. If the US government can do all of this, can it not also send aid to the human victims of a natural disaster?

The Haiti people are in their current political and economical condition because of international involvement and the few elite Haitians inside the country. The power and wealth of those have squelched numerous uprisings and rebellions from the Haitian people, whose resources are virtually non-existent.

A 7.0 earthquake with 5.0+ aftershocks... check your news. The Haitian people who are still alive are standing up. And as a fellow human, I will help as I can.

6. kyfarmer

Yep, what ya said is a fact. We have made a mess of that country or our gov. has, not us as a whole. The corruption there is pure evil, much like we are starting to see right out in the open in our own country. $100 million into that place will make a hand full of them even richer. We as americans have given trillion's in help over the year,s to poorer country's and guess what they are still dirt poor. I agree we should help them but not making a few scum bag's richer. Some one need's to watch the money jar.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Are you ready if something similar to what happened in Haiti happened in Your neck of the woods? Would you be waiting for outside help or would you quietly impliment your plan and go on about your business as nothing had happened? See that devistation has made me work a little harder at getting a couple of projects done and also reconsidder the distribution of my supplies so everything wouldn't be lost.:scratch

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to revolt when your hungry. I don't like how the US sends money over seas for no reason but I do like the fact that as a country we are willing to dedicate ourselves to helping others. It's one of the only things that still gives me hope for our people. That regardless of our personal misgivings we can still be compassionate.

Vance, We love you Canadians and everything you have done for us. We joke about y'all being a big hat and some such, but you are always there when we need you. It's nice having good neighbors.

9. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yeah, i like Canada! I even debated moving there after Obama was elected. And there's a big Scottish presence up there; there's even a Fort McLeod up there somewhere! (My last name is MacLeod, btw)

I think it's great that all of these countries are helping out. What I don't like is that the Salvation Army was on Fox News today saying, "Don't send food or clothes . . . send money." Really? Because people that have lost everything don't need food or clothes . . . they need money? Really? I also don't like that we have had to mobilize 10,000 U.S. troops for deployment to Haiti, largely because the Haitians are becoming violent because they are not getting free stuff fast enough.

10. allen_idaho

Shelling out a few bucks to make yourself feel better is not compassion. All of your donations probably won't even make it to Haiti.

I've seen it all first hand. I know exactly what happens during these disasters. I was there in Sumatra for the 2004 Tsunami relief. I was there for the 2004 hurricane relief in the Philippines. I was there for the 2003 humanitarian relief in East Timor.

They will get some humanitarian aid rations. They will get a bit of fresh water. Several of them will most likely die of malaria.

But the money will be going elsewhere. Most of the food will be going to the Hatian military. Almost all of the medicine will be going to the local government (unless a film crew is present).

The poor will spend weeks scouring the rubble for anything useful or that they can sell later while those who were middle-class or upper class will sit back and wait for the US to provide for them.

It happens every single time. No matter what country it's in.

11. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

LOL..

-notice most of the buildings in Haiti are concretes or cinder blocks and poor building regulations and that alone compounds the problem.

-it has happened here Katrina should be a wake up call you should never rely on others to do for you unless you like being dealt the short straw

12. kyfarmer

How much of the $100 million will make it to the poor, my guess pennies on the dollar at best. Sad mess.

13. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

In the wake of 9/11 and Katrina, we saw the international community reach out to the U.S. in a meaningful way. While we had the national capability to handle these disasters, the Mexican Army responded to Hurricane Katrina and farmers in Kenya donated a cow to us in the wake of 9/11.

This wikipedia article certainly helps restore a little faith in the international community.
    International Response to Hurricane Katrina

It's inspiring to know that our country is not alone. But, an epic disaster that completely wipes out our nation would be very tough for anyone to respond to. The Europeans could help a lot, but a national earthquake would be rough. I believe that Italy has several small aircraft carriers that are optimized for earthquake/volcano response and other civil defense duties.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. allen_idaho

So, who got the cow?

15. NaeKid

I am just outside of Ft.MacLeod right now visiting some friends :woohoo:

16. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

AAAHHH!!! That's awesome! I fully intend to get up there to visit some day . . . Do you live nearby? I'll buy you a beer!

17. NaeKid

If you get your butt near here, I will buy the first round of GOOD local Canadian beers. In fact, I will make that same offer to any American on the board - you come up to Canada and visit any town nearby (within a couple hours drive) of my current location - the first round is on me .. maybe even the second.

As for my location, you can GoogleMap my location (listed below my avatar) and ask it for directions to Ft.MacLeod from my location and you will know exactly how long it takes me to get there ..

18. watchman220

watchman220 ExCommunicated

FEMA in HAITI?

I was thinking about this when I saw FEMA was involved.

WHy is FEMA in Haiti? Aren't they a Federal agency?

FEMA in Haiti?

19. kyfarmer

What the h*** is fema doing there, it's clear who thinks they are going to be the new world order police. They are fed's and they were created for the usa not other countries. This is a bucket of crap and why is the main media not calling out those countries who seem to be just a bunch of screw up's. IE. the useless U.N. :dunno: 7:05 a fox reporter finely asked why is the U.N. driving all over haiti with empty truck's. Don't think they will get an answer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  20. NaeKid

I was listening to the news this morning on my way into work and heard some really interesting things happening in Haiti since the earthquake. It seems that aid-workers are being attacked or are near attacks as groups go around with any weapons that they can find and kill others for what they have.

The way that the radio described the situation there reminded me of several of Jerry's stories that he has posted to the forum. Now, there are a few differences between NorthAmerica and Haiti being that the population might be similar, the area that the population is crammed into it is different. According to the Wikipedia, there is an average of 250 people per square kilometer or 650 people per square mile.

If you compare that with the demographics of Calgary, we have 5.1 people per square kilometer or 13.2 people per square mile. I personally can't imagine the crowding that the people live in every day, the amount of claustrophobia felt by the general population ... it doesn't really surprise me that there are killings going on there while food / water / shelter is at a premium.

Will it / could it happen in the US and Canada in a similar fashion? Possibly - but - with the amount of open-spaces we have, I imagine that it would be on a much smaller scale than what is currently happening in Haiti.

Thoughts??