Haiti shows interesting problems...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 5, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Haiti probably provides some incredible worse case on going survival scenarios. What they're experiencing is a series of blows that keeps them staggering. It also demonstrates that even when reeling from one crisis, you have to begin to prep for the next.

This is horrific, even through 'homeless' they don't want to lose what little they've got left, even at the risk of their lives.

FoxNews.com - Most Haiti Homeless Stay in Camps to Face Storm

2. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Sad stuff. One would think that given the crushing poverty there the folks would have certain advantages, maybe a poor word choice,in resourcefulness and in living a simple life. Should we go through something like that here the chief thing will be so many basic skills are lost and many cannot live without their conveniences.

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

While some might condemn our inability to live without conveniences, we come from people who wouldn't settle for dirt floors...it's good we're that way. In some places in the world people settled for grass huts and dirt trails for thousands of years although just miles away others lived with flush toilets and electricity. We saw that in Vietnam, and you can still see that in Africa and Asia.

We've seen the contrast among people who suffered from Katrina, almost instantly, much of Mississippi got hit much harder than New Orleans ever did, yet those people pulled together and got things done, same demographics, different region. To this day, some of the people affected by Katrina haven't been able to advance, it was devestating and too much for them, others have prospered.

If we work that hard for conveniences, that's a good indication we'd work harder for necessities.

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Interesting and accurate observation, SNT.

There's much we, as people, can do to help ourselves in any given circumstance, to lift ourselves up to a better existence. It's hard to watch people just wait helplessly for the government or relief agencies to come in and "fix" everything, when there's much they could get started doing for themselves.

I'm not sure about your last line, though. Some people are so used to conveniences I'm not sure they'd even want to deal with a world that didn't have them. I guess the ones who make it will be the ones who's ancestors probably moved up to the flush toilets and electricity!

:)

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:hmmm: I would've said: different region, different demographic

or even same region, different demographic

6. The_Blob

reminds me of a movie called Pitch Black where one of the characters says, "Yes, its amazing what you can do without the necessity's of life provided you have the little luxuries." :D

7. SnakeDoc

I was thinking more that most Haitians are more familiar with the skills needed to live on a subsistence level. How many folks in you town can milk a cow, build a shelter, make soap or candles. I guess I was thinking that our learning curve will be a bit steeper.

It struck me when I saw coverage of Katrina victims a year later. Of course the media sought out the down trodden. A family was still living in tents with the remains of destroyed housed around them. My first thought was why didn't they start using all that lumber laying there and at least bang together a 10x 16 shack to get their family in out of the weather? It is your attitude that will determine how you make out when the SHTF.

8. The_Blob

yep, the :surrender: gibs-me-dat entitlement mentality strikes again :nuts:

9. SnakeDoc

You have no home, your job is gone. Would you sit on your arse for a year or start working for you own cause? It is so simple, it's stupid!

10. The_Blob

common sense strategies that depend on a form of work-ethic are simple to you or me or anyone on a board like this, but just plain 'unfair' to those with a bad case of Gibs-Me-Dat