Habit of the month / week

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by DJgang, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I would like us to start a thread of suggestions on everyday habit making tasks that one can do to stay prepared.

It takes 21 days to develop a habit. or so I hear....

my habit I am starting with ... Gas

Keep my vehicle gassed up at all times.

I hate to fill up and usually run it to empty...not no more, I am going to try to keep it filled up in case we can bug out in our vehicle.

2. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Just think of the 3/4 mark as empty. When you get down to it, time to refill.

Weekly (or whenever you go) habit... when making out the grocery list, write in a few extra items for your storage.

Find some good podcasts and listen to one each day. They could be survival related podcasts or just podcasts on some skill you are interested in learning about.

3. DJgang

Podcasts are a good idea...keeps ya thinking...

I was thinking 3/4 mark as well, I would probably be filling up every other day in that regard. I have to drive about 40 miles a day taking kids to school and back.

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Swifty's here probably dread me coming...I NEVER go home without a full tank.

5. DJgang

well, it's a good habit to have ...

Any other habit suggestions?

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I also use 3/4 as my empty mark. So much easier to fill up for $30 something than $100Also drive only 50 mph now. That was a hard habit to get into for I fear I have a lead foot.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yes, regarding my inventory...I was great about changing the amount of the item when using items...just got tired of doing it every day:scratch...soooo
    I have a poster on the wall in the room of items...I list what I took, dated when taken, etc...and about once a month update my inventory---works lots better now than going into the file for changing one item.:congrat:

8. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Scroungin. Always lookin round ta see what be cheap er free what I can use ta make somethin outa. Get lots a wood an such fer free, make shelves an such outa it.

Also, what other things I find that can be usefull, iron scrap an what not.

Also, in my travels fer work I look in all the towns fer second hand stores er real sportin goods stores. Places I can likely find stuff ta use in a emergency er even everday. Ya usually find stores like that in small towns.

Also, keep my eyes open fer stuff other folks be doin that might interest me er be usefull info to.

9. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

I keep the car and truck full as well as 2- 5 gal plastic gas cans. I also have the habit of spring cleaning everything after the garden is planted. Lastly I have taken the habit of putting cooking directions on my meal/ mylar bags. I write on the mylar before filling them.

10. Cahri

Cahri Well-Known Member

I make a ton of food for dinner, and if no one but us two are present for dinner, I pressure can, freeze or vacuum pack the rest, for a rainy day. Yesterday I made pork and 15 different beans with all fresh veggies from the garden, (delicious) canned 6 pints for later.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I also cook waaay more beans (and other dishes) than we eat so I can freeze it and use later.

12. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

I hate to be a buzzkill here, but over time, thats gotta cost a good amount of money. I certainly understand the motivation, but the cost of hauling all of that extra gas around and the extra trips to the station all adds up over time.
    I live outside of a major city with gas stations everywhere, so if you dont, maybe it would make sense.
    Just my 2 cents.

13. DJgang

ha, not a buzz kill at all...I'll watch my milage and see what happens...

Or, maybe I should just lose the 30 or 40 pounds that I need to lose to offset it! :beercheer:

14. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

A full tank is actually more efficient, more volume make the temperature more stable and thus less condensation, and a full tank goes a lot farther when, not if the grid goes down for an extended period or the banks decide to take a holiday or.......

15. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

OH...I absolutely agree that I am wasting a little gas stopping to get gas....
    My point isn't to save 1 cent on a gallon...it's to have 16 gallons and 20 gallons and another 20 gallons when TSHTF in all 3 vehicles....and don't forget all those gallons in the shed.

I don't assess every stop to shop, traffic light, etc...so I still can justify the reason I stay filled........I won't be in that gas line at the pumps when TSHTF or be up creek without a paddle IF the pumps are empty

16. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

I like free stuff. Will be visiting brother in-law tomorrow to pick up a bunch of "junk" from his sring cleaning. This happens to include a kerosene heater.

I seek out people who are discarding their "junk" and take advantage of their desire to clean out the garage or shed.

Have scored lot's of trading and bartering material that way.

I will refuse no one's cast aways.

17. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

You're bugging out? :gaah: I was coming to your place! :sssh:

18. Butterbean

Butterbean Member

Habits

I am working on breaking a habit of the month. Usually, addictive habits cost us a lot of our extra money, so it is a win win!

With small children at home, I used to be guilty of hitting up fast food drive throughs for a quick fix lunch. It seemed every time we went into town I was getting kids meals. When my husband lost his job it was s shocker to the kids that we were eating at home every day. I swear they went through a withdraw period and were crazy! When things got back to normal again and they would request fast food I would just go home and feed them or pack something for the trip. I then put the $ I would have spent at the drive through into a jar for preps.
    I figure, if you have an addictive habit that you can't sustain after something big happens, NOW is the time to break it. I would rather go through the withdraws now, that things are somewhat ok, than to force my children and husband to be around me in a crisis and I am freaking out because there is not enough diet dr. pepper!! Think about your "fix" and imagine if you didn't buy into it anymore what you could do with the funds.

19. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

water conservation

Okay, don't laugh. Trying to teach the family how to shower/bathe with stored water. They need to practice using only the water from one 2 liter bottle. If I can get them to do this once or twice a week - I'll feel better about water storage. Also, I'm trying to get them to replace one shampooing w/ baking soda instead of shampoo. You just never know how bad it might get. Hope we never have to go that far as an every day lifestyle, but if so, a little practice now, will make it easier then. :nuts: I said DON'T laugh.

20. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I don't think that's laughable - I think that's AWESOME! It's important to be able to do those things, and it's great that you're having the whole family learn. :2thumb: