Growing Zone 7b, humid

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by josephinesped, Jul 30, 2010.

1. josephinesped

josephinesped New Member

Actually, I've lived in Western USA, Heartland USA, and Southwest USA, but was born in the Deep South and have returned. I am about a half-century full of watching life and societies: I am a natural sociologist. I like keeping any money that comes my way, so I like being as self-sufficient as i can be in whatever circumstances I am in.

It's not that I don't spend money, but I like spending it so I need less money the next month/year/whenever--spend it on solar panels (I had a good start on a whole-house solar system, and it got stolen.), on garden seeds (I have some that are a decade old, and sometimes I just dump a bunch in a garden row and see what still germinates.), on informative books/Internet connection. I am not perfect about anything that I do, and yet I enjoy doing a variety of activities and skills and look to develop some more.

Currently I rent on an acre of land in the country, with crumby city water, and a semi-busy road in front of the old house. I have put in some blueberry bushes, almonds, peaches, apples, hazelnuts, strawberries, gardening beds.
    I am an internationally recognized poet.
    I'm a Technician level Amateur Radio Operator--with some waning code skills.
    I'd love to build a clay cooking stove to use in an outdoor, split-log kitchen that I have not built yet, either.
    My back is weakened from a short leg, so I take it easy a lot of weeks.
    I tried being vegan for a few years, vegetarian for about a half-year, am the meat-eater, O blood type so neither of these worked long-term, (But I loved saving on food money.)
    I like animals but I still can kill one if I need it. I have butchered a bunch of chickens and have helped with a goat and a sheep.
    My favorite activity is orchard work.
    I have learned about the big variety of fruiting bushes, in the past decade.
    I want to set-up a battery-charger that I can run from my bicycle.

Most people really like me at first, but once they realize that I am not them plus me, they get disillusioned. I don't know how I set-up this expectation; maybe because I am open to humanity in general and I usually accept people in whatever condition that I initially find them. I do expect people to seek new skills and experiences all during life, and maybe once that is apparent, they feel betrayed, or something? As far as I can tell, there is no unconditional love anywhere in this Universe. Such an utter acceptance would breed stagnation and, eventually, chaos.

I believe that it does not take a lot of money to educate a child, just a teacher who will look the child in the eyes and enjoy explaining anything to him/her.
    My definition of good parenting is for the Mother to invite the child into, primarily, the Mother's life--letting the child/children learn how to live in the home, how to do some cooking and simple sewing repairs, gardening a bit, and such. Doing things with children is much better than doing things for them, though young ones do need almost everything done for them up-front.

2. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome, glad to have you!

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

5. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:wave: Glad to meet Ya!

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:josephinesped from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

7. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

I don't ussually answer these 'cause I am new here myself, but it sound like you have your "stuff" together, hope to read some interesting posts from you :)

8. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

Welcome! You have joined a great site!

9. carlnet

carlnet carl.net

josephinesped,
    I am interested in your almond trees. Did you plant using seed or buy the trees already growing? I ask because I have read that most almonds sold commercially in the US have been either chemically or heat pasteurized therefor you cannot plant them and expect them to grow. So I was wondering where you got your unpasteurized almonds if you panted from seed.

Carl.net