Growing your own cotton

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, May 25, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Got the cotton seeds in the ground today, little late but better than not at all. Planted green and white cotton, I give on the brown.:( As you can tell in the picture their cotton gin was better than mine. lol

Attached Files:

• 096.jpg
      096.jpg
      File size:
      156.9 KB
      Views:
  2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder, is there anything you DON"T do? :D

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:lolsmash:

What can I say ... I like to read and when I read, I say :scratch can I do that... and the experiment is on. :D

Oh and thanks for the smile!

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I'll ask the dumb question here. What is green and brown cotton? I assumed that all cotton was white. :dunno:

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  6. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Very cool!!:2thumb:

Now I assume you will need a spinning wheel and then a loom of sorts....:p:D

Jimmy

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have them ... :D

8. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

SOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!!:cool::cool:

Jimmy

9. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Bet you don't grow tobacco yet....

I think that would make a wonderful barter item.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I grew tobacco as a cash crop for many a years :D As of now I do not have what the gobbermint needs to grow tobacco (with in the law) ... ;) lol

So ... alright I do not grow tobacco ...:rolleyes: And you are right IF I did grow it, that would be a wonderful barter item.

11. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what does one need to be able to grow it? What are the regulations?

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I can only speak for what I needed in N.C. which I grew my cash crop. In N.C. I had a tobacco allotment (40 acres) ... which said I could grow X amount of tobacco within one year. No more or no less ... lol

Regulations are very different from area to area ... (state ta state) So you must look into the 'laws on tobacco" In that area ... Some folks can grow their own ... others need a permit.

Or you can put a pretty plant (that stinks ... lol) in your garden or flower bed ... and just watch that it grow. :sssh:

13. worldengineer

I don't think VA has laws regarding acreage. Grow as much as you like. I would prefer to be under contract though before growing to much.

The Fed's no longer subsidize it.

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

worldengineer - (found this in a search) Provided the tobacco isn't sold or traded, the Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate homegrown tobacco. Most people grow for cigarettes, but some blend their own cigars and chew.

Pam - I grew mangels twice as a feed for the goats, I was told goat and cows both loved them. Guess my goats didn't get that memo ... they wouldn't touch them. :dunno:

15. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

My friend said she bought some dried beet pulp and that her goats did not like it either. I got some seeds and I am hoping that mine do.

16. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Ok, I was just reading on the cotton seeds and it says that 10 seeds (Brown or green for $6.99) yields 1 pound of cotton. What can you do with just 1 pound of cotton?? It seems like you would need at least 5 pounds or more to really make much?? Can you even make a pair of socks with four 4oz balls of cotton yarn??

17. worldengineer

Who listens to the FDA? :p

They just don't want to loose any tax money. Keeping it under the table is the way to go.

On the topic of cotton... You could make a wash cloth? I didn't realize cotton was that expensive. Must be because of the color.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:D ... lol

Pam you havn't seen anything yet ... Cotton is not a Waa Laa plant ... There it is. ;) Once you plant it you must tend it. (as any other garden plant) and to get that pound of cotton you must check the plant each day for bolts that have opened. Once open they must be dryed and the cotton removed from the bolt to dry some more. After that - One must "gin" the cotton. (get the seed out.) 8 -10 seeds per section and 4 or 5 sections per bolt.

I have found three ways to gin the cotton ... 1) by hand ... :gaah: 2)with wool hand carders ... :gaah: and 3) with a mini gin - a hand crank pasta maker ...

Then you have cotton to spin or to use how ever you want ...

I have a need ... inside of me to do it from start to finish. (I told you guys I was a little on the strange side :lolsmash:) But to me it's a knowledge thing ...

Which boils down to ... can I do it ...;)

What can I say ... :wave: - and if you would like some cotton seed send me a pm ... and we will barter. lol

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I don't know ... now a days the FDA has raid squads and put you in jail for that little tax thing ...

20. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Uhhh.... I am thinking that growing cotton is not for me!! LOL! I have very little patience!! I do not even have enough space for all of my garden things now. :gaah: When I get my big farm though I will definitely want to try it!!