Grow your own Food

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Cahri, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Cahri

Cahri Well-Known Member

This is a very nice video, takes you back to another time and realize that we're almost full circle
    Plant your victory garden
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Gs7Vik75k]YouTube - ‪Dig For Victory‬‏[/ame]

2. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Great Video thanks for sharing! However, can't we just get some Illegal Aliens to do this for us and we can just supervise them?:D

3. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I wish my dirt looked like that.

4. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

excellent video! I've been looking for "victory garden" type videos.

5. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

We don't have dirt down here. Nothing but sand and coral rock. :eek:

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Nice video! :2thumb:

Thanks for sharing!:thankyou:

7. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Honestly, I find the question about illegal aliens so offensive. Your user name is RevWC. Do you really call yourself a man of the cloth? Is this a carry over from the racism that ran the south for more than a century?

Anyone else find this offensive or is it just me? If it is, I will delete myself as a member here.

8. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

No but I find using the worn out race card and protecting criminals very offensive.Also defending invaders of your nation is seditious at the least.

You brought it up and its not my 'opinion' it's the Politicle incorrect facts.

9. Meerkat

Back to subject.

If you have sandy soil you can condition it with compost,peat moss and other soil conditioners.

I'm still workign on my new garden soil.There are some plants that actually like sandy soil.

10. power

power ExCommunicated

Sort of funny when a person ask if another person is racist and at the same time posting a racist view.

11. Meerkat

Also keep the ground covred even if it not in use.I've found this to be one of the best things you can do for soil.I also water it when I water the rest.EXCEPT GRASS!

12. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I dont find it offensive -- I thought it was sarcasm. Why pay illegals to do something you can do yourself for cheaper? :dunno:

Back on topic: I love my victory garden. Being self-sufficient is the American way! I hope more and more folks start growing gardens -- they will certainly respect the folks who grow it for a living much much more.

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Okay---I'll bite since noone else will---why do you call them 'victory' gardens...

14. Meerkat

WW1 to help feed the troops and others.Many of the farmers were fighting in the war.
    of course the dept of agriculture tried to fight it but lost.The gardens were a hit even in the town parks.

15. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I seem to remember many things preceded by the word 'victory' being discussed on the History channel. Kinda like we started calling French fries, freedom fries. I believe it was a catchy way to get people to garden so that food was not so expensive and hard to come by during the war(s).

I love the part where the narrator says "follow these tips, choose your company, and youll find that digging can be good fun"... reminds me of being a kid and digging post holes to fence the pasture... for fun. :2thumb:

16. Meerkat

Some don't have such good memories of gardens.Hubby said he could'nt see the ends of the rows of beans and okra they had to pick.

His daddy would push plow behind mule and if the rows were'nt perfectly straight he'd get beat with cane poles byhis daddy.

Thank goodness times are'nt that hard anymore and we can learn from them.

17. power

power ExCommunicated

I picked cucumbers for a while one time. Worst job I ever had.

18. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

learned from experience that something that was "fun" because it was something I wanted to do to "help out" ceased to be so once I got paid for it... then it became a "job", and something that HAD to be done :lolsmash:

19. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

Our ground is sand.....so much so that I'm teased about where I'm hiding the lake. We grow awesome gardens here, I think cuz the sand holds the heat....my plants usually come up first and produce heavy. Doesn't hurt a bit that we also say a prayer over the garden!! Sand is great garden soil.:congrat: