Grinding wheat

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mdprepper, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I found a store in my area to buy wheat berries. I do not want to invest in a proper grain mill until I am sure that I can figure out what I am doing.

I know I can use a blender if I have to but I was wondering if I could use this coffee grinder/mill. I know it will only hold a small amount in the hopper.

http://www.antiquecountrystore.com/coffeemill/spong1.jpg

This is not my photo, but I do have that grinder/mill (from my Dad).

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have an older type like that mill and use it quite a bit but lately I have been really busy and only need a small amount at a time, like 1/2 to one cup at a time per recipe and I have been using the little coffee grinder to grind some up. Works great.
    but more than a cup I haul out the grinder to grind it up.

3. mdprepper

Thank you so much for the answer.

The store I found sells the wheat berries in pre-packaged one pound bags, it looks to be kind of pricey. But I figured it would be a good way to "get my feet wet" so to speak without having to buy in a large quantity. If all goes well, and I do not mess it up (using the wheat berries) then I would not mind investing in a good/bigger hand grinder and bulk wheat berries. I have to 'sneak' them in on my family, they hate to try new things!

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

do you have an Amish or Mennonite community near you?

we are lucky enough to have both & the Mennonite Market has so much traditional produce at good prices I almost take them for granted :sssh:

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Way to go, mdprepper! Good luck in your endeavor to sneak it in on your family! I think we've all done that a time or two! My 20-year old son, still living here, has no idea he's started to eat rutabagas in the soups and casseroles I've been making in the last month! He thought they stunk when I harvested them! lol

Some of the city Health Food stores I've been in will grind wheat for you or let you use their wheat grinder...if you buy the wheat there. I don't know how prices would be, but some people might want to look into that.

6. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

At the moment I am paying way too much for red wheat berries-about $3 for 2 lbs. But I do get it on sale sometimes. My son is the one who instigated the "whole wheat" revolution at our house. He had a nutrition class at school and decided that we needed to only buy whole wheat or whole grain breads and it just kinda ballooned from there. many years now and I am planning on teaching him how to make breads from scratch as he can eat more pita bread than I can make some weeks.
    But today is tortilla day and I am planning on making corn and flour and he is gonna help with both. If you have never had a corn tortilla right off the griddle and not that deep fried pre packed stuff you are gonna be in for a shock! They are yummy. I do fry the ones left over tho, they get a bit rubbery like store bought ones the next day and they make the best corn chips.

7. mdprepper

Today I am finally going to buy some wheat berries to to grind!!! I had to work Thanksgiving day, so I have a little "extra" in the pay check!!!

I will not be using the coffee grinder though. I was rooting around in the back of the pantry looking for another slow cooker and saw a bag that I had a "meat grinder" in. I pulled it out to try to find a new home for it (because I stubbed my toe on it) and this is what I found:

OLD HAND MINCER for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Mine is not rusted like the one in the photo.

I am so glad my Dad was a packrat!!!

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

:woohoo: Awesome, md! That should do the job!

Let us know what you make with your home-ground flour!

:D

9. hillbilly

hillbilly Active Member

We have an old cast iron grain grinder,it really is nice to be able to grind your own Wheat or corn.We buy our Wheat right from the farm and got 30 bushel this fall for 35.00 but that is right from the combine.If you have any farmers in your area that might be a cheaper option.

10. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

The price has gone about 30% here. I just grabbed a couple more bags today. Get it before it goes higher.

11. brucehylton

brucehylton Well-Known Member

If all else fails, you can mill the flour between two rocks.

12. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

13. mdprepper

I did not buy the wheat yet. My Daughter decided that she was buying me wheat berries for my Christmas present!!! So, I will update after Christmas.

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Ready for that update, md! :D I sense that you have received your wheatberries for Christmas, ground it, and are baking a loaf of bread!

In fact, some of us, probably including horseman and UncleJoe and others, are already enroute to your house to help you eat it!

:lolsmash:

15. mdprepper

Wow, GypsySue you have amazing Spidey senses!! You could tell all the way from Montana what I am doing in Maryland:eek:!!! You must keep MMM on his toes!:D:D:D:D

Actually, :thankyou: for all of your help!!!! I was about to just throw the whole thing out and give up. Upon your advice, I ended up putting it through the grinder 4 times, tightening down the plate more each time. Still never got it "fine" and powdery (like store bought flour), but it did get much finer then it was. Instead of trying to make a traditional white bread recipe with the whole wheat, I found this recipe on-line.

1 cup lukewarm water
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons molasses, maple syrup, dark corn syrup, or brown sugar corn syrup
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    1/4 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    3 cups King Arthur whole wheat flour, white whole wheat preferred

The entire recipe can be found here: CookEatShare - Easy Recipes and Cooking Tips

I just used my flour in place of the King Arthur flour. The bread is resting now, and I will let you know how it turns out once it bakes :crossfinger:

16. nj_m715

I haven't much luck making good wheat bread. I've tried a bunch of different recipes. It comes out heavy and sometimes flattens. I'm getting pretty good at pancakes and biscuits though.

17. mdprepper

Well...It is edible. It turned out very heavy and flat. Imagine a brick with flavor. It crumbles apart when I (try to) slice it. Oh well, I will try something different next weekend.

nj_m715--want to share your biscuit recipe???

18. nj_m715

that's what I get. edible, but not good. You can search cowboy buscuits on youtube. I just sub in whole wheat and add baking powder. I use a bowl instead of newspaper. A 1/2 batch is enough for 2 people and fit in my toaster oven. I'll dig out my recipe and post it.

19. nj_m715

Here you go
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYzJLrECuU]YouTube - Cowboy Biscuits[/ame]
    He also has a gravy recipe too. I use about 1/2 lb of sausage, pure out some grease, make the gravy and add the sausage back in. It's enough to cover a full batch of biscuits. All simple, cheap, LTS cooking :)

20. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Do you know whether you were using Hard red wheat, hard white wheat, or soft white wheat? I have a friend who swears it matters. She says Hard Red for "yeast" things and white flour for "baking powder" or "baking soda" things. (I menioned this to md earlier!) I notice my bread DOES come out better with hard red wheat, and my pie crusts come out better with soft white flour.

I grind my own wheat and keep both kinds on hand.

The other thing might be to look back through the threads. Emerald or someone posted a recipe for whole wheat bread that she (or whoever it was) swore by, and I always meant to try it...