Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at doing a kid (maybe two) from an 'angel tree' ... You may have them in your area under a different name ... but it is for the kids that have little... Or the kids that will not find much under the tree come Christmas morn.

Now I was thinking a basket full of goodies plus things a child "in need" might need...

Now they give the childs age and size ... and what they most would like to find under the tree...

First I find out all the presents must be new and "store bought" So much for that scarf and mittens ... that I have made ... :(

So much for the gift they wants costs $150.00 bucks:eek:

I'm going to call the 'angel group' in the morning ... just to make sure ... but crap (putting it in mild way) that ticked me off ...

So am I a GRINCH ... and looking at this from my side only??? Would a 'child in need' like some new jeans, shirts and some home made goodies?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yes, I see lots of abuse of the good-hearted people who donate Christmas presents for the "needy". Heard a low-income person yesterday that wanted to buy a present for their DOG, and when questioned whether their limited resources should be used to buy presents for their kids, this parent responded "Oh, the kids are covered, we've got them signed up for Toys for Tots, (two other local groups I'm not identifying here)".

So no, Andi. you're not a grinch.

Maybe all of us who pay for this stuff are a little tired of it.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
A gift of $150 ???

My family's rule is nothing more than $50 to be spent on each other, people that we know and love. I might spend upto $100 on my grandson this Christmas, but, there is no way that I would spend $150 on a kid that I don't know. The kids across the street (great kids by the way) might get a $20-worth of stuff outta me as a thinkin' of you thing .. my nephews might get $30-worth of stuff outta me ....

Sorry - but I'll be a Scrooge too ...

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
The local one cries if you try to give toy guns I hear...:nuts:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry but I will not put 150 bucks in a new style I pod ...

I went with the younger kids ... had to under 3 :)gaah:) for a 'kid; that that was not looking for a MP3 player" ... (What ever the heck that is ...:gaah:)

No homemade gifts ... :( Not even a fruit basket for the family) Store or other wise ... (which sucks ... IMO)

I'm sorry ... (I'm so ticked right now)

But what has happened to America :(

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
If it makes you feel a little better, you can give me a homemade hat and scarf and I'll be tickled pink. :D

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
The cadmium filled shiny Wal Mart toys are safer than your homemade crap, Andi. Don't you know that?!? Jeez, some people are so dense. Your stuff can keep a needy kid warm, but how will they hear the latest rap "song" about killing and robbing and all that stuff? Andi, just where are your priorities? You need to get with the program.

Seriously, though....I'm with Joe.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cadmium filled shiny Wal Mart toys are safer than your homemade crap, Andi. Don't you know that?!? Jeez, some people are so dense. Your stuff can keep a needy kid warm, but how will they hear the latest rap "song" about killing and robbing and all that stuff? Andi, just where are your priorities? You need to get with the program.
You are right ... What was I thinking!

(and thanks for the smile ... :D)

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
I can't even think up a good joke or laugher about this one, because I think you are all are correct concerning this topic. Pretty damn sad, isn't it?

I really long for the good old days when anything you received was GREATLY appreciated and enjoyed thoroughly. :eek:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Andi,? I've been looking for a PM. Don't you need my address to send me my scarf? :D

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I remember having this discussion with (urban) friends a couple years ago & they were all very disdainful of handcrafted gifts, but they were misguided in thinking that homemade meant 'slapped together at the last minute with no consideration or skill' & I could see how that attitude could prevail if that was what they were getting... I told them I pitied them & they didn't believe me

I showed them some of the wonderful things my g-pa & I used to make (full size recurve-front dressers, bible boxes, tables & chairs, sleigh bed etc etc), basically one of a kind pieces that would sell for hundreds if not thousands of dollars if they were 'store bought', hand made blankets, sweaters, scarves, hats (not a fan of mittens, I like to use my fingers... but when I got them I still said 'thank you')... I can remember when a bag of oranges was a TREAT in the winter & I'm not that old, in fact I'm probably one of the youngest members on this board (mmm... a bag of oranges would be a treat NOW, now that I think about it)

slightly OT: did anybody else ever make 'coupon books' for their parents?

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
A gift of $150 ???

My family's rule is nothing more than $50 to be spent on each other, people that we know and love. I might spend upto $100 on my grandson this Christmas, but, there is no way that I would spend $150 on a kid that I don't know. The kids across the street (great kids by the way) might get a $20-worth of stuff outta me as a thinkin' of you thing .. my nephews might get $30-worth of stuff outta me ....

Sorry - but I'll be a Scrooge too ...
We used to buy gifts for everyone, but as the size of the family increased we started to "draw names" so we only had to purchase one gift each. We started with a $20 limit, a few years ago we went to a $10 limit. This year we decided to go "homemade or $5".

Honestly, we have had more fun trying to be creative in the gift giving and really thinking about the persons likes/dislikes/personality then just buying something because we had to.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slightly OT: did anybody else ever make 'coupon books' for their parents?
I made coupon books for my girls one year! :D

Free baby sitting night, look after the their dog for the weekend, free trip to the root cellar (That was a mistake :eek: lol) But it was all good fun.

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
The way things are starting to look in this country, I think a great gift to give would be the URL of this site! :D

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yeah...put it on the bottom of all your emails, as well. If people see the link often enough maybe it'll occur to them to click on it! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.