Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a tractor for a long time.
I found a place that sells Grey market tractors.
They are from Japan.
Completely refurbished, new front end loader,4 wheel drive,19 hp 3 cyl. diesel.
With a tiller attachment and tax it's $9800.
I really don't need a tractor but there are times it would be great to have one.
Do any of you have one or and experience with them?
I have looked at the old Fords and Massey Ferguson and most everything I have found is in fair to poor condition and they all want $2500 and up.

This is what I'm thinking about buying.

http://www.tractorco.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=1756162&p=1&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory&filter=Tractors

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I would spend a few more dollars and get the bigger brother, the extra power and weight would be well worth it. those look like Yanmar clones

An old worn out tractor is expensive to keep running and although there are parts for the old one the quality often sucks.

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
I have been looking for a tractor for a long time.
I found a place that sells Grey market tractors.
They are from Japan. Completely refurbished, new front end loader,4 wheel drive,19 hp 3 cyl. diesel. With a tiller attachment and tax it's $9800.
I really don't need a tractor but there are times it would be great to have one. Do any of you have one or and experience with them?
I have looked at the old Fords and Massey Ferguson and most everything I have found is in fair to poor condition and they all want $2500 and up.
This is what I'm thinking about buying.
I think I'd go with Kubota....better tractor, parts available, maybe a little pricier, but worth it.....several here for under $10,000 if you want a small one. Everyone I know swears by Kubota....good tractor.
http://www.equipmenttrader.com/Farm...t+Tractors|2001200&make=KUBOTA|2322602&page=2

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I love our Kubota. I'll love it more when it's paid off.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Seventeen years go I bought an OLD International 3510 backhoe for $3,500. I had to split the tractor and put a clutch in- $1,000 and new back tires $600. It still runs fine. The pins are worn so it's sloppy but it works fine.

The good old ones are out there if you look hard enough. My brother bought a new larger Kabota and is working on it all the time. Poor quality iron and pins.

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
I been working with Kioti tractors for 15 years, and never have had to fix/repair anything on the two I've owned.
Just bought a new one, in March of 2015, because my knees need a rest...had to go with hydrostatic drive.

Good tractors.

kioti2.jpg

kioti.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
I have a gray market tractor.
It's a 1984 Yanmar YM2000 with a 3 cylinder diesel,3 speed PTO. It originally didn't come with safety switches and warning labels. Those are put on here in the states to satisfy lawyers. Everything on it is manual (what I wanted) You don't have to worry about a bunch of electrical crap on them. They are very straightforward machines. They sip fuel too. You will need some weight on the front if you use a bottom plow, disk or tiller attachment. Some bricks or big rocks in your loader will do fine.
Make sure you get a fresh battery and the tires are in good shape. These can sit around for a bit after being refurbished
Also get you a block heater for winter. You will thank yourself. I've had a lot of interest in mine while moving it from one location to another. Someone is always asking where I got it and wanting to know about it. If I had more yard to mow, I would have bought another one and put turf tires and a woods mower.
I'm located in North Carolina. The dirt here has a fair amount of red clay. It does pretty good as long as I have weight where I need it. The roto tiller attachment is nice for getting your garden right. Be warned! If people see it on the tractor, they will want you to till up their gardens.

·
3,044 Posts
You know what your talking about :mad:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "white, fluffy, stuff!!" Just as long as it's somewhere else!!! :eek:

·
3,044 Posts
Somewhere else why's that?
Because it never fails, I'll get tons of it down the back of my neck, inside my jacket/shirt, and it's frickin' COLD!!! :eyebulge::gaah:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I bought a Grey market that came from japan. Zen Noh was the brand, Kubota knock off. It was a fair tractor at best. never could find parts for it. Finally traded it for a bunch of tools, both woodworking, and mechanical.
I finally got a small Kubota that covers most stuff I need it for. I have my dad's old 70 model Duetz 3006 for the heavier work.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
Seventeen years go I bought an OLD International 3510 backhoe for $3,500. I had to split the tractor and put a clutch in- $1,000 and new back tires $600. It still runs fine. The pins are worn so it's sloppy but it works fine.

The good old ones are out there if you look hard enough. My brother bought a new larger Kabota and is working on it all the time. Poor quality iron and pins.
Only problem we've had is a flat tire.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at the Kubota and John Deere tractors.
Both were about $20,000 plus, tax new.
I can't justify that much money.
There are no used one to be found at a reasonable price in my area.
It won't get a lot of use and it's small enough to get around where I want to go.
So I have ordered it and I'll see how it goes.
It is a Yanmar YM1510D.
I figure if it doesn't work out I should be able to sell it with out taking too big a loss.
My big problem will be letting the garden get way to big.
I did that when my brother lived next door and had a tractor with a tiller.
My wife has been humming the theme song to Green Acres. :)

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
As far as I know Yanmars have a far deeper history than Kubotas
Old iron is ok if you can fix it, often meaning make complex parts.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
He he he .......TMT, you could always use the tractor to shovel sand! :partydance:
TIN HAT HOUSE

5 years after construction, totally self sufficient. Aquaponics-- veg., fish, citrus, sweets (black berries), meat (rabbits trying to eat the black berries) and an occasional javelina.

The one thing we will not have is "White Fluffy Stuff". :partydance:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts