Greetings from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SurvivorSam, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SurvivorSam

SurvivorSam Member

Hi,

I am truly new to a prepared lifestyle, just beginning... just!

I am here because I am quite disturbed after doing minimal bits of research about the reasons why long term preparedness would even be necessary... I am convinced that impending possibilities are looming in the very near future.

I simply will state that I love my family and want to do what I can to prepare for emergencies, disasters or other situations that would require a family to sustain itself for an undetermined length of time.

I know that I have a lot of work to do and a long road ahead.

Thanks and God Bless!

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome! Please, share with us as you learn!

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

4. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Welcome to the Forum.........:wave::wave::wave:

5. SurvivorSam

SurvivorSam Member

Thanks

NO - I have been living in the "system" for far too long. I have borrowed my way deep into the consumerism mindset, trying to keep up with the Jones' and the Smith's.

I have made up my mind to get out. It took a while to get where I am now, so inevetably it will take a while to get where I want to be.

Where to begin? I don't know exactly

1. Get out of debt - ASAP?
    2. Minimize down to absolute essentials?
    3. Buy a dehydrator and vacuum sealer?

Start out with preparing for small emergency situations (3-7 day events like storms and prolonged power outages) and work up to longer term situations.

There is a whole laundry list of items that I need to purchase.

I guess my long term goal is to obtain a place of refuge... a property in an out of the way and undisclosed location. Stockpile resources and micro farm it for long term survival in the event that a worse case scenario occurred.

It would need to have a well, right?
    A septic or something
    Woods = wildlife
    On a lake for fishing
    tillable land
    Have domesticated animals
    Get windmill turbines and batteries
    Soalr panels if practical

It is all so overwhelming and astronomically costly it seems impossible in a realistic timeframe.

Am I on the right track???

Thanks, and God Bless!

6. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:welcome: Glad to meet Ya!

7. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Welcome!

Start where you are, with what you have. Do not try to do everything at once, it can be overwhelming.

A 72 hr emergency plan/kit is a great start.
    A Bug Out Bag (BOB) is very important to have in case you have to evacuate your home.
    Start with the basics water, food, shelter.

Read some of the old posts, there is a huge amount of great information to be gleaned from them.

I will let other, more knowledgeable folks take it from here!

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:SurvivorSam from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts. Sounds like you are on the right track, coming here to PS is a great start.

9. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Hi from the middle of the big mitten.

We went from a very 'consumer-minded' lifestyle to one more filled with frugality when we moved, This was out of neccesity. Our kids are so used to it now, it's not even funny.

I would start with a good dehydrator. We dehydrate a LOT of stuff, including spinach and chard , both which are good additions to winter soups.

Good Luck!