Greeting from LA, Lower Alabama

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Readyforwhat, May 12, 2011.

1. Readyforwhat

Readyforwhat New Member

for a few years, I've been that crazy guy that has a weeks worth of food and a coleman grill and lantern to all of my friends. I've been a little better prepared than that (OPSEC) and just didn't tell them. I dont want to appear "too" crazy. Haha. I've tried to get them on board, but just got the rolling of the eyes and comments like "why" and "feds will rescue us". Ha! Then along came Katrina and now the Japan and Southeast Tornadoes. Now everyone is scrambling.

I havent been as serious as many in the past. All I have put away is a few weeks rotation of canned goods, and some camping type gear so tht I could cook, heat, and process water. Sort of a three weeks version of the 3 day supply. I have recently started reading several survival blogs and sites to get a better idea of things that might be needed. Stuff that I might not have considered. In reading them, it has inspired me to become more self sufficient. Which brought me to you fine people.

When I was a kid, we only went to the store for Flour, Corn meal, eggs, sugar, etc. We grew, shot, or caught everything that we ate. When I was 10 or 11, my parents got divorced and Mom moved us to the city so that she could provide for us. All self sufficientcy was forgotten. I still have the mindset (you can never lose that) but much of the knowledge has been forgotten. Thus, is my new quest...

I have been collecting knowledge and TOOLS! I have started a decent back yard garden and will start to can or "put up" as we call it, when the veggies atart to roll in. Everyting is doing well exept a mass die off of beets one night.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from you guys as well as sharing my experiences from the present as well as the past. I do still remember some.

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us. This is a great forum with a lot of good and experienced members. Learning is a lifetime experience.

3. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

hey! Glad you joined .... I am in North Alabama ...

4. Davo45

Davo45 New here

Hello and Welcome from Central Alabama

Hello, I've been "that guy" too ever since I graduated from high school (1982), more so after getting married (almost 18 years ago) and especially after having a child (15 years ago). My dad was one of "those guys" too.

I didn't start gardening until 2 years ago, this will be my 3rd year at it. I mainly garden to supply my family with fresh produce and plan to go in with my sister (who became a Prepper 3 years ago) and can some stuff this year. I know exactly what you mean about most people including family giving you one of those strange looks and asking, "Why should I prepare for anything? FEMA, The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, etc. will be there. Last month's tornadoes in my part of the state has, I think, woken a few up to the fact that they do need to prepare for emergencies and disasters.

In the last 2 weeks there has been a LOT more food, water and other essentials donated to the victims of the tornadoes than has come from The Red Cross or The Salvation Army (which have both been asking for donations) from people who haven't been harmed by the storms. I donated some of the older stock of canned goods from my family's supply and plan to replace them here in a few minutes at ALDI (love that store).

Since the storms, some of those same family members and friends who used to ask me why I was a Prepper no longer do. A couple have even become Preppers themselves.

5. Readyforwhat

Readyforwhat New Member

It's very sad that they arrested that guy for putting recycling bins in tornado damaged areas. When he turned in the recycled goods, he told them to hold onto the check until he determined who it should go to. he did not take it. Then the FEMA director came on TV the other night and asked that people not take action own their own, to wait for FEMA for a course of action... You have got to be kidding me...:gaah:

6. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's quite an asset right there - having the mindset. Puts you way ahead of the game. Glad to have you on board!

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :wave:

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

You're doing the right thing. Keep up the good work.

:)

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome! :wave:

Come on in!

10. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

Welmcome from another Alabamian. WE are north of Montgomery in Millbrook

11. Readyforwhat

Readyforwhat New Member

Cool, WE'll have to meet up some time to talk shop.. haha

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome, fellow "crazy guy"!! You're in good company here.

13. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

N Central Tn here. Welcome! You can learn alot from these folks.
    I've been prepping for about 25 yrs and canning that long as well. A dehydrator will be handy to have for you, as well as a pressure canner. (a little expensive but ya can't do meat without it), so may as well bite the bullet and get the largest one you can afford. I actually have 3.. thats all that will fit on the propane (or gas)stove at the same time LOL. Those glass top stoves arent designed to support the kind of weight a canner can have and will crack- so dont try that. Look into vacuum packing dry foods like beans, in 5 -6 gallon buckets... inside put mylar bags and inside those - after the food has been added, insert an oxygen absorber and seal it up with an iron. It'll keep for 20-25 yrs. Alot to learn- so just dive in a revel in knowing you are right in doing this. (and don't tell too many folks you are doing it. Folks that are friends become real pushy if they are hungry, so keep it all pretty quiet. Share it with like minded folks.