Green Tomatoes

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by KC8UXU, Oct 20, 2009.

1. KC8UXU

KC8UXU Member

My garden is at it's end. This was my first year. Small but I did learn alot and I am looking forward to next year.

I am cleaning it up and I have green tomatoes left. Will they ripen? Does anyone have recipes to use them?

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

3. KC8UXU

KC8UXU Member

What is this thing called Google? :D

Thanks.......I thought forum members might have some favorite recipes or suggestions..........

I am leaning towards salsa....due to a Jalapeno and tomato harvest....might throw in some green tomatoes.

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I put the green tomatoes in a paper bag with an apple, the ethylene gas produced will often ripen them. I also pickle them, sliced or small whole with onions like picking cucumbers, same recipes. The very small ones, cherry or grape size I pickle like green olives for my martinis.:beercheer:

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I like using RecipeSource to gather recipes over the 'net and I buy recipebooks and read them through like a novel to gather ideas for meals, snacks, pot-lucks, etc. As I try the recipe, I might modify it and write it down on a recipe-card for one of my two boxes of recipes ..

Of course, I haven't tried any of those that I listed, but, reading through them, they seem like they could turn out alright.

BTW: Fried Green Tomatoes I would change-up. I hate salt and am alergic to pepper (black / white) so I would probably make a mix of cornmeal, chipotle, garlic-powder and onion-powder, dip each piece of tomato into a bowl of whipped eggs, dip into the cornmeal-mix and then fry in a large cast-iron frying pan right beside slow-cooking bacon and serve together with a slice of toast soaked in fresh butter and maple syrup.

Any left-over whipped egg would be cooked up as scrambled-eggs after the bacon and tomatoes had been removed .. some diced green-peppers, diced onion and all the left-over drippings from cooking previously ..

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Salsa is great. You can bottle it and it keeps well.

7. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

dill pickled green tomatoes ROCK! Make your brine as normal, cut and slice up the tomatoes into wedges, stuff them into your jars, add a teaspoon of dill and mustard seed to the jars, pour in your brine and waterbath....yummy!

I also add a big slice of jalapeno or fresno pepper in with them.

8. TechAdmin

I never thought to pickle tomatoes. I had a recipe that made tomato jelly and it was terrible. I just stayed away from them, and occasionally dried a few.

9. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I would eat green tomatoes in a SHTF situation. It's not right now so I'd just go to the farmers market and get some nice juicy red ones for cheap.

10. rwc1969

rwc1969 Well-Known Member

Wrap em individual in black and white newspaer or put in a brown paper bag. they'll ripen. Or, just bread and fry em. MMM MMM good!

11. TechAdmin

I'm with Jim on this one. I had green tomatoes fried once and it didn't do it for me. I was probably six though. Maybe it's time to give it a try again.

12. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Fried green tomatoes and beer........:beercheer:.
    Ranks right up there with fried pickles!

13. TechAdmin

I've had fried pickles and they were good. I'm going to try it this weekend. If it's terrible or I get sick no one that recommended it will hear the end of it!

14. LilRedHen

LilRedHen Well-Known Member

I usually wrap mine in newspaper too, put in a box and put in the coolest place in the house. I've had ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving and once for Christmas that way.