Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GraniteWare has served us since 1871.A porcelon canner hot bather.

I bought it at Walmart to hot bath some peaches.The wire rack in it corroded on the first batch,leaving the jars covered in some kind of metal or paint film.
Not sure what the heck this buI hope none got inside the jars while under the water.
Is there anything that is made in America and safe anymore?
Ilso noticed a few years ago that iron cook ware is harder to season,is it the grease or the iron?

·
1,734 Posts
new iron cookware is no longer finished. Stuff we recently purchased was made in the US, but it's taking a lot of work to get it seasoned.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new iron cookware is no longer finished. Stuff we recently purchased was made in the US, but it's taking a lot of work to get it seasoned.
Iron cookware is also easier to stick if you ever cook any liquid in it at all.I seldom use liquid in them but they don't have the smooth finish they use to have.
I have some thats really old and they work fine.
The wire rack in the canner looks like corroded aluminum after just one use.Like paint has lifted.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have purchased cast-iron cookware from "loonie-bins" and then I do my own machining to get a nice smooth surface and then I will season it. My ancient cast-iron just needs some seasoning from time-to-time.

Currently, my oldest piece of cast-iron that I am still using is over 100 years old - it was cast in Feb 1910

:2thumb:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have purchased cast-iron cookware from "loonie-bins" and then I do my own machining to get a nice smooth surface and then I will season it. My ancient cast-iron just needs some seasoning from time-to-time.

Currently, my oldest piece of cast-iron that I am still using is over 100 years old - it was cast in Feb 1910

:2thumb:
100 years old is about what one of mine is some are maybe 30 yr.s old,the rest are just this past 10 years.
Most don't have iron cookware thsi old,so keep a watch on it.:)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of my primary cast-iron collection. Picture of the stove is my "every day usage" cast-iron, picture of my cast-iron on the wooden shelf is my "when I need it" cast-iron (need it at least once a week) .. and a close-up of the date-stamp on my waffle-iron showing the casting-date. Sorry, no pictures of my camp cookware that is currently in my camper.

Attachments

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Wait for it......

Wow, NaeKid... I'm really impressed!! How do you manage to cook on a stove laying on it's side without having the pans slide off??? Are they magnetic and stick to the burners??? :eek: :D

(Sorry... it was too good to pass up). ;)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
:idea:

< NaeKid quietly reaches through the internet and takes hold of Harley's head, carefully turns Harley's head sideways >

There, better? :woohoo:

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Wow, NaeKid... I'm really impressed!! How do you manage to cook on a stove laying on it's side without having the pans slide off??? Are they magnetic and stick to the burners??? :eek: :D

(Sorry... it was too good to pass up). ;)
Glue?

No but really, nice collection you have.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice set of ironware Boss.
I have a couple real old corn stick iron pans,don't know how old they are though.And several fry pans,but no pots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any of this new stuf i buy, i take a 4" flapper sanding disc on my disc grinder to them and smooth out the bottom. Did this with a new "Lodge" round griddle and a new dutch oven. Seasoned both by coating with bacon grease and put in oven at 225 for 2 hrs then let cool in oven. Before using i heated them up on stove top and kept wiping them with bacon grease as it would cook off until it kept a wet appearance. When i use the griddle now to cook eggs overeasy, i just use a small pat of butter and the eggs slide around the griddle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We decided at our house that if it is at all possible, we buy American. It's a pain for sure because it takes some research and not all items that say they are made in America really are, sometimes it's American materials but made out of country or vice versa. If we have to buy chinese, we try to buy it second hand, at least that way were not bring new items from china into the country. Sometimes I have to wonder where my America went...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts